Sunday, March 7, 2010

An Education

First up is an award winning journey:

http://www.pawnation.com/2010/03/01/travels-with-charlie-more-on-the-dog-who-traveled-1-200-miles-a/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl5|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pawnation.com%2F2010%2F03%2F01%2Ftravels-with-charlie-more-on-the-dog-who-traveled-1-200-miles-a%2F

Next a brief entertainment update: Eliminated from The Amazing Race was attorney moms, Monique and Shawne. Also remember The Pink Glove Dance? Producers of America's Got Talent requested that they audition for the show. If the audition goes well the dancing troupe won't be contestants but they will be guest entertainers on one of the shows this season. I will keep you posted.

Next up is the review of AN EDUCATION:

A coming of age story for women. A young woman whose parents want her to get into Oxford finds her traditional education replaced by something slightly more sinister when an older, more worldly suitor sweeps her off of her feet while placing her future in jeopardy. Starrng Peter Sarsgaard as the suitor, Carey Mulligan as the teen, Alfred Molina and Cara Seymour as the parents, Dominic Cooper and Rosamund Pike as the suitor's business partner and his girl friend, and Emma Thompson as the headmistress of the school where the teen attends.

The movie was well acted and the story was compelling. Young Carey Mulligan really gave the best performance by a woman in any movie this year but either Sandra or Meryl will steal her thunder. I did have some problems with the movie. I understand a younger woman and an older man, I even understand an older woman and a younger man. In fact I am for any relationship among consenting adults that enhances both of their lives. Two of the three times I came close to marriage the women were thirteen years younger. They said they were with me because men their age just didn't treat them with the respect I did. I was with them very simply because they liked me and kept me young. I get May-December Romances. What I don't get is predators and destroying the life of someone you supposedly love. In AN EDUCATION the elderly suutor targeted the young sixteen year-old woman from the beginning, she was his prey. It was extremely disappointing that AN EDUCATION didn't show the older suitor for the predator that he was. Instead they just showed him as con artist that in some way did love the young woman. Which is the other problem I had with the movie if he loved her why did he destroy her life instead of enhancing it? I will give it Three footballs. One Mulligan, one for Molina, one for the music, one for the cinematography, and then subtract one football for not outing a predator.

Now My Oscar Picks:

Best Movie: 'The Hurt Locker' - correct

Best Director: First women ever to win , Kathryn Bigelow for The Hurt Locker - correct

Best Actor: Jeff Bridges, 'Crazy Heart' - correct

Best Actress: Sandra Bullock, 'The Blind Side - correct

Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer, 'The Last Station - wrong

Best Supporting Actress: Mo'nique, 'Precious' - correct

Best Animated Film: UP - correct

Cinematography: Avatar - correct

Original Score: UP - correct

Original Song: The Weary Kind the Theme From Crazy Heart music and lyrics by Ryan Bingham and T. Bone Burnett - correct

Visual Effects: Avatar - correct

Sound Editing: The Hurt Locker - correct

Sound Mixing: The Hurt Locker - correct

Last but certainly not least are your updates. You know the drill. You catch me up on your life. Everyone here has become friends and we want to know all about you and yours!!

6 comments:

Lady DR said...

And where is Your Update, Mr. Dahn?

Had a quiet week, with nothing on the calendar but lunchtime exercise, line dance and editorial hours. Snowed all day Tuesday and, since two sides of my office are glass, felt like one was living inside one of those glass balls you shake, to watch the snow swirl inside. Snow all gone by noon Wednesday, thank goodness.

Took time for some relaxing stuff this weekend, turning my back on the regular cleaning routine and the taxes. I did clip Skeeter and hope to bathe her tomorrow - with her age, the tumor, what we suspect is arthritis in the hips or back legs, she can only tolerate so much "handling" at any given time. I finished a hat for a friend's husband, played around with a shrug I'm crocheting, explored a book on creative living habits and spent time reading "Pillars of the Earth," which I managed to miss when it was all the rage. Watched Celtic Thunder on PBS - a very different show from when we saw them live, but fun to see them again.

A couple prayer requests, one of which you're already aware of. First, for a friend who found two lumps in her breast and is going for further tests on Tuesday. Second, for Mom, who was informed last week she is now legally blind and there's little hope of bringing her vision back up. She's been referred to a "low sight" doctor, whom they've not yet seen. Prayers, I guess, for a combination of her acceptance and hopes the "low sight" doc can help with special glasses and such, much like the Comm on the Blind here did.

Hope everyone else had a good week. Bill, good luck on resolving the wheel chair issue.

dona said...

I also wondered where the update from Bill was. OK Bill, what gives? :)

DR, as always, sending prayers and hugs your way for your Friend and your Mother.
I hear you on the handling of the babies when they need their grooming. Especially when they are older and have any sort of health problems. It sure takes some patience on our parts doesn't it? Sounds like even though you took time out from the regular routine, you were sure busy.

Here our snow seemed to melt away with higher temps all week. Even though I love the snow, it was a much needed change for the Shankster to have a week to himself, as dad went golfing each day! :)

We were able to finish up lots on the project and are 99% done. I had a list of things to do and finished them all and started a new list. I did dad's taxes and we finished the week off with dad finally playing a bit for us on the banjo and mandolin. (he hadn't picked them up since we have been here) I got a pic and part of a video, thought it would be nice to have.

Wishing everyone a great week ahead.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Here is my update: Work. 39 days until April 15. That is my life right now, work and counting.

It is amazing you are still having snow, we are having probably the best winter weather wise since I've been here.

You deserved some me relaxing time and I bet Skeeter looks great. I hope a miracle happens and the tumor goes away.

Of course your friend has my prayers and I hope the lumps aren't cancerous.

Oh, my hearbreaks for you and your mom. How awful they gave her no hope. Of course you all are in my prayers and good thoughts.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Nice to see you as always. Where is my update? You have to have a life to have an update.

Glad you are getting warmer temps, it is about time!

Congratulations on being so close to finishing on the project!! And on getting your dad's taxes done. How much fun was in to listen to your dad playing music!!

Be Well

Bill

Pat said...

Cool story about Charlie the dog!

DR, lots of good wishes and vibes for your friend and your mom. It's so discouraging to be told "no hope" for better vision. I hope the low sight doc can be of help. Oh, and some extra good vibes for Skeeter, too.

Bill, re yesterday: I'm amazed that DISTRICT 9 is nominated. I did like the opening of it and I thought the basic premise was good, but I expected it to be a tale of two species learning to live together, not a freakin' blood bath. Yuck.

Yesterday I had plans to see a play with a friend and for once, thought I'd skip the mom visit. No such luck. I got two calls from caregivers, informing me that mom had cut her leg somehow in trying to get out of bed. Apparently the motion detector didn't catch her movement right away, but they got to her before she fell or anything really bad. How she managed two fairly bad cuts on her leg is a total mystery. We've examined the bedrails and frame and can't find anything she could have scraped herself on. Leave it to Hazel, if there's a way to mystify people, she'll find it!

It's nothing serious, and they are bandaging it a couple of times a day with iodine and antibiotic ointment. She's not in pain and seems to enjoy the attention when they change the bandages.

I did manage to get to the play, which was sort of fun but really not very good. I don't see much live theater any more, so I enjoy it even if it's only so-so.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I just can't imagine what it must be like carrying for an elderly parent with no backup at least I have my sister to fill in for me if I had plans to attend a play. I hope your mom's hand and legs get better and that the motion detector works better in the future. What a worry. I am glad you did get to the play. I'm sending postive vibes yours and your mom's way.

You actually got more out of District 9 then I did. Invictus should have been nominted instead, imnho.

It has been ages since I've been to live theater but I also enjoy it.

Bill