Friday, March 19, 2010

Dirty Laundry.

A woman is airing her dirty laundry in public and the whole neigborhood is upset:

http://www.parentdish.com/2010/03/17/moms-fight-to-hang-her-laundry-outside-gets-dirty/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl5|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.parentdish.com%2F2010%2F03%2F17%2Fmoms-fight-to-hang-her-laundry-outside-gets-dirty%2F

Would you want this woman living next door to you? I admire her spirit but am not sure how I would feel about her as a neighbor.

Speaking of women airing dirty laundry in public. This woman did so in a court room and it cost her husband's mistriss a chunk of change:

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/jury-awards-nc-woman-9-million-from-husbands-mistress/19405886?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl1|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolnews.com%2Fnation%2Farticle%2Fjury-awards-nc-woman-9-million-from-husbands-mistress%2F19405886

I get that the mistress is partially responsible for the affair and I sometimes think when a man cheats on his wife his mistress is given to much of a pass. However, shouldn't this woman have jointly sued her husband and his mistress? Isn't the scumbag husband as much at fault for the affair as the mistress?

What is your take on alienation of affection lawsuits?

As always, I love getting your comments.

4 comments:

Pat said...

I'm happy to see that just about all the comments (on the first page, which is all I read) are in favor of the woman hanging her laundry wherever she pleases at her own home. I don't think I'd ever live where a homeowner's association could tell me how to live my life. Those neighbors should get their own lives and butt out of other people's.

As to the lawsuit, how silly! No details there, but if the husband was going to stray, and if the object of the suit didn't comply, someone else probably would have. A mistress almost never breaks up a marriage that's any good. If they were married a long time, she'll get money from her husband, and $9 million is just ridiculous to me.

Lady DR said...

Re: airing laundry. This is one of many reasons we've never considered any house that was in a neighborhood association. (Most wouldn't allow Himself to put up radio antennas, for starters). If she was hanging her laundry in the front yard, I *might* be able to see objections, but she's obviously using the back yard and back patio. While I prefer towels out of the dryer, there's just nothing like sheets and clothes dried in sun and fresh air. Yes, I'd be her neighbor. If I had the time, I'd dry all our clothes outdoors when possible.

As to the woman suing the mistress... I agree with Pat and with you. First, it takes two to tango and the mistress couldn't be a mistress without the husband's help, consent and involvement. Conversely, if a marriage is happy and healthy, there's no reason for either spouse to look elsewhere for companionship of whatever type. If one doesn't know the other is so unhappy they have to look elsewhere, there's obviously a lack of communication.

I also think the $9 mil is a bit over the top. If you have irreconsilable (sp?) differences, get a divorce, split the assets as fairly as possible. Suits for alienation of affection? Murky. I know that many women support their husbands in various ways, from helping pay for their education to serving as "assistants" in their political/business/social endeavors. There should be recompense for this. OTOH, while there may be women who intentionally go after a married man, it's back to he has to be willing and there seems there must be some reason.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I agree with you abouit neighborhood associations. It is why I am glad I live here. No dues. My own yard. And if I want to hang laundry I can. I also think the lady should hang her laundry where she darn well pleases but like DR would prefer it be in the back yard.

As to the lawsuit I mostly agree with you. The nine million is silly. However, I don't completely agree that all men will find another woman to cheat with. If a man is inclined to cheat then if one woman doesn't cheat with him no doubt he will just find someone else. However, if a man isn't inclined to cheat and a womaon comes on to him I can see him not fighting tempatation in a weak moment and never cheat again.

I read another article but I couldn't find the damn link about a woman that would only date married men. It wouldn't bother me in the least if that type of person got sued.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

It wouldn't bother me in the least if Himself put up an atennna in my yard let alone my neighborhood. I will say, however, that as much as I dislike associations the one where mom lives is really pretty good. The dues allow for a free libary, clean swimming pool, good meeting room, and it keeps the neighborhood beautiful with everyone's yard looking great.

The husband had to contribute and it bugs me that he isn't being held accountable for his actions.
The lawsuit is idiotic. Just kiss each other goodbye and move on with your life. Quit wasting the court's time.

Bill