Thursday, March 18, 2010

Where Are The Women On This List?

According to the article only fourteen of one thousand and eleven self-made billionaires in the world are women. Also according to the article less than ten percent of those on the Forbes Magazine list of the richest people in the world are women. Directly quoting the article "Interesting, among those 14, seven of them have made their fortunes on mainland China. Two other women are Indian. Oprah Winfrey is clear down in 400th place. In an era in which women have fought and won a place in boardrooms, Congress, and even as heads of state -- and we came so close to having a woman as U.S. president -- women are barely represented on the money = power list. Most of those who are landed on the list because of what their husband, father or other male relative achieved before his death. Call these "man-made women billionaires."

You can read the full article here:

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/why-dont-more-women-make-billions/19398645/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl3|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailyfinance.com%2Fstory%2Fwhy-dont-more-women-make-billions%2F19398645%2F

The author has many reasons why she thinks women don't become billionaires. Women get that money isn't happiness. A lot of billionaires made their money on the backs of the poor and women don't want to go there. She also mentions the degeneration of feminism.

Instead of asking why there so few of the billionaires are women, I am going to ask why so many of the billionaires are men. My take on it is that men get their identity from their job, power, and what they accumulate. They don't get their identity from sharing and caring. They are focused on the dollar and ways to accumulate it.

Now it is your turn. Tell me what points in the article that you agree with. Also add some of your own ideas. In addition tell me two more things. Why do you think there are so few women billionaires and why doyou think so many of the billionaires are men. I am looking forward to your answers.

6 comments:

Pat said...

Interesting article, Bill. First, I'd have to say that not for one moment do I believe that tons of money would make me happier. It would make me feel more secure, and it would be fun to spend some of it, but I believe what it said in the article, that about 18 months after a Lottery win, people were just about as happy as they were before.

I also think there are several reasons for women not being higher on the super-rich list. First, there's a lot of catching-up to do. Men have been CEOs and entrepreneurs a lot longer than women, for the most part, so give us time.

I don't think the women doing extremely well spend a lot of time thinking about their less well-paid underlings. If they do, there's a simple answer: pay them more. If you're in the billionaire running, you can afford to pay your nanny and housecleaner a lot more than the going rate, and you can let them bring their kids or take more time off to be with them.

I doubt that women will ever completely catch up in numbers with the extremely high-earning men, since even now we are more responsible for childcare and other home-ec stuff than most men. I'm just glad that more doors are open to women than ever before (excluding those states and religions that still keep a firm boot on women's necks), and I hope for true equality for women at some time in the future.

Lady DR said...

I agree with Pat, that money doesn't by happiness, having read the same stats. Also think she's right on men getting a big head start, plus in most families, the men inherit the business and big bucks. I found the article very interesting, particularly the comments about the number of Asian women billionaires and the comments from the authors of the two books cited.

Sure, I'd like to have a bit more money, wouldn't turn down a lottery win, the ability to help Mom and sibs and niece and nephew, set up a foundation, as we've discussed before. However, not to the detriment of other people, the community or the environment. As to a billion -- I don't think so. I mean, there comes a point... well, it's like, once it's 20 degrees below zero, cold is cold.

I think women -- and, quite honestly, many men, realize that there comes a point where the trade-offs aren't worth the payoff. Do billionaires have close friends, people they can turn to when they're sad or unhappy, people they can lunch with and not wonder which of them has the best or most important agenda? Do they have time to enjoy the yachts, multiple homes, numerous cars? Do they spend time with their kids, spouse, extended family, just having fun? Do they get to dig in the dirt and watch for the first tomato, the first tulip, the spreading ivy? Do they have time to fill bird feeders and enjoy watching the feathered critters come to eat?

It's possible, maybe probable, that women are more inclined to pay higher wages and provide more benefits, reach a point of realizing they have all they need and look for places to put their money to help their community, social agencies, individual people. Women are more inclined to nurture, for the most part.

It would be interesting to see what would happen, if women were allowed to rule the world, in every respect, for ten years or so. I suspect we'd see some very positive changes. At least, I would hope so.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Enough money so that I didn't have to set limitations on what I do would make me happy but I really wouldn't need more than that.

I completely agree with the catching up that women have to do. There are strides being made but not near as much as should be.

The Bible belt is still way behind the rest of the country where women are concerned and as long as organizations like The Promise Keepers are allowed to flourish in those states.

I do think at some point not only will be complete equality for women that they will outshine men. I just don't think we will see it in our lifetime.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I think we all agree that money doesn't buy happiness. We also agree on the head start men have had.

The number of Asian millionaires shocked me. You also hit on the reason I would love to win the lottery, to take care of people. I think that is the key to happiness, making others happy.

Even if billionaires have friends wouldn't there be the underlying thought of, are they just friends for my money or are they really my friend?

The questions you asked really bring home what really makes us happy.

I do think women take care of others more than men and are in general more giving then men and it would be natural for them to take better care of their employees then men do.

If women ruled the world we would see some interest changes most would be better for all of us.

Bill

Lady DR said...

In line with this thread, I stumbled across a book at the library, on their "featured this month" table. " Quit Today, Pay cash, Don't retire and (most important) Die Brokem: the last three words being, I think the actual title of the book. Sritten by Stephen Pollan and Mark Levine. I've just gotten into it, but the guy has a lot of interesting points and I'm curious to see where he goes with it.

My question is, if you're a billionaire, how do you die broke?

William J. said...

Hi DR

Interesting book. Everyone's goal should be to die broke.

I can a help a billionaire become broke. He could give his fortune to me.

Bill