Sunday, March 28, 2010

Eighteen Days to April 15

My update as always this time of year is work. Work and family. Next week sister is going to Utah to help her daughter move into a new home and the caregiver is taking off to parts unknown so once again the second busiest weekend of the year for me will include a couple of nights at Mom's. Happens every year. Everyone makes promises. Things happen and it ends up being just Mom and I again. The good thing is that next Saturday good friends from Washington are coming down on Saturday and they are taking Mom and I out for dinner. That will fill up Saturday. Sunday I will take Mom to breakfast for Easter and then head into work. That takes care of Sunday. Monday night sis will be back and Tuesday night my nephew will be back from vacation.

As part of my update I wanted to share a story that happened to one of the clients of the firm I work at. I was assigned his tax return this year and worked on it Wednesday last week. This story happened on Thursday:

http://www.oregonlive.com/west-linn/index.ssf/2010/03/home_robbery-jewelry_heist_echoes_unsolved_cases.html

My heart just tugs for them. Can you imagine the fear that they felt? On one of the television stations this week as part of the story it was reported that the owner of the story begged the robbers not to take the jewelry that was in the store to be repaired for customers. The robbers complied. All reports said this is a very nice couple.

That reminds me of the time when I was working in Gardena, California. I did a couple's tax return. When they were done with their tax returns they went out to get into their car and there was no car there. It was stolen.

Now on to the entertainment update:

First elimination on Dancing With The Stars is this coming week. I met Edward Aldrin, Michael Collins, and Neal Armstrong once way back then. Also got to see the space ship that they rode to the moon in. The most surprising thing was how small the ship was, not much bigger than the top of a dining room table. The three men that first went to the moon are icons and American heroes. All that being said I hate to see a hero embarrass himself so am praying that he is sent home this week.

Eliminated on The Amazing Race last week was the newly dating couple Jeff & Jordan. After watching them over the weeks my guess is they will in the not to distance future be referred to as "the former dating couple." She was annoying and he was impatient. Not a match made in heaven.

OK I am all ears. Waiting to see how things are with all of you. DR I certainly hope you have gotten better. Dona I hope you are enjoying your new kitchen. Pat I hope your Mom has stabilized. Kim hope you are getting ready for a knockout spring vacation with your family. Mary I hope tax season hasn't killed you. Mary Z hope you are enjoying the basketball tournaments and/or traveling. Bev hope things are better with your mother-in-law. Naomi hope work hasn't consumed your entire life! Red Whistle hope things are improving in the r.e. market and you also are finding free time to go to the movies. Cousin Bev A. hope you are enjoying being back home and are looking forward to our reunion! Snug, Lisa, Simply, and Kaye where are you? Hope I didn't miss anyone! If you are new to the blog this would be a great day to introduce yourself and meet all the outstanding just mentioned women!

The blog is now yours. Tell me everything about you and yours.

4 comments:

Pat said...

Awful story about the couple. It's great that nobody was hurt, except emotionally, but they'll probably not feel safe again for a long time, if ever.

Thanks for the concern. Mom is better, after scaring us all a couple of days ago. We put her on an aspirin regimen, thinking she could possibly be throwing clots that resulted in TIAs. Either that helped, or she just spontaneously got better. Speech is still garbled and there may still be some problem with swallowing, but not nearly as bad as the last couple of days.

We had quite a morning at the facility on Saturday. Mom scared us with being unresponsive and unable to swallow. While we were dealing with that and waiting for the hospice nurse, the handyman fell off a ladder and gashed his head, so they were short-staffed while one caregiver took him to the clinic. He came back several hours later with a full head bandage and went right back to work. Not a dull day. I went home from 4 to 6, and it was very cheering to me to find mom much better in the evening, having eaten all her dinner and being more or less in touch with life again.

Lady DR said...

Sorry to hear you're being left in command again on a busy weekend and holiday besides.

What a frightening story about the couple who are clients. Sounds like the robbers did their homework, if they started at the house, then took him to the store. I suspect it will be some time before they feel "safe" as Pat said. It took my sister several years and they weren't home when their house was robbed AND they knew who did it, although they never got her Alaskan nugget jewelry back.

Thanks for the quick update on what some of our folks are up to - I've been wondering. And thanks for asking for healing thoughts for me earlier. I've been reading the blog, but computer time is somewhat restricted. I'm doing better, thank goodness. It's going to take a while, but I feel I turned a corner Friday, when the pain level dropped from an 8 to a 4 and is becoming more isolated and I'm beginning to feel less fatigued. On the "do" side, I do a bit of PT at home in the morning, see Nancy late morning three times a week, go to the warm pool every day, next week we add a massage to try to release more energy, as the pinched and crowded nerves are healing. On the "don't" side, it's less time at the computer, no unilateral tasks, such as raking or vacuuming or sweeping or anything that uses only one side of the body, no overdoing anything for any period of time and no "pushing on," when I feel tired or the pain goes up. The "do"s are a lot easier for me than the "don't"s

Pat, I'm so glad to hear Hazel is doing better. The fact that it doesn't get better and is a roller coaster is hard. Even though I'm no longer "hands-on" with Mom, the phone calls are frustrating and often discouraging. (hugs!)

William J. said...

Hi Pat

You are just going through to damn much with your Mom. I am glad that she ate a full dinner and seemed better. Also glad the worker made it back to work.

Believe it or not the wife opened up the business the next day. She said she wanted to be around people. I think I'd be scared the rest of my life.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

4 on a pain schedule is still to damn high. It needs to be zero and my vibes will continue. I am glad you are getting more on the do side. Just don't over do it so much you have a relapse. That's an order! You just have to realize nothingn needs to be done right now. Even us here at the blog will wait for you and be here when you are 100%.

The couple was no doubt targeted. In fact they had to be watched for several days. There is some speculation that this is a group that has done two similar robberies of jewelers and jewelry stores in the last six months and never been caught. They were also dressed in suits which indicates not you normal robbers.

Be well!!

Bill