Saturday, March 13, 2010

A Family Member Shares Her Life

There is even some beefcake for you ladies because Dona's son is a hunk. Here is what Dona says:

"I wanted to finally show you some of what we had gotten done here in the kitchen at the house. You guys are my blog/internet family and sort of know how I have had to change my living for the past 7 years and so I was more excited to show you guys the finished project more than anybody.

The first 4 pics were "before" where there was just a sink with few cabinets above and a stand alone pantry on the other side of kitchen. Then had to show you where Brandon (my son) was the one who did most of the work. Then of course the finished product. Frank did the tile, (first time ever) I think he did a wonderful job. It is so nice to have cabinets to put things in again, finally a normal kitchen.

Since taking out the old pantry (which was falling apart and why we started this to begin with) we have the whole other side of the kitchen wall where we are still working on. Will send pics when that part is finished.

The best part was this. As we were at first going to just replace the old pantry came to find out they are not cheap. The only one we found to compare to the size of ours was $1329. We decided to have Brandon just rebuild the outside and replace the original insides. But that was going to cost at least $400. For some reason we looked on the internet and found a place and got all these cabinets and all the hardware/sink/faucet for just at the price that the one pantry would have cost us! Our kind of money...:)"

So this just fit perfect and will allow me to get some of my things out of the barn finally! haha

Thanks for letting me share this with you."

















No, Dona. Thank you for sharing your life we us. You are definitely a part of our family!

What do you guys think? Maybe Frank and her son will travel to Oregon and remodel my kitchen.

4 comments:

Pat said...

Wow, Dona! What a transformation! You must be floating on a cloud and gearing up to cook in your gorgeous new kitchen. Or maybe you should just order in and keep the kitchen as a showpiece.

When your guys finish with Bill's remodel, mine is waiting.

dona said...

Thanks Pat! Actually this was the first time we did anything so extravagant. It isn't the best of anything but feels like it to me. Every home we ever lived it was already done. This was a big change for us to come with no space or barely little storage in the way of cabinets/closets and such. I love it. Gave us both a much needed pick me up. We still have more to finish in there but I was excited to show it off.

Lady DR said...

Dona, this is great! Thanks for sharing the renovation. What a difference. I can see, from the "before" photos, why you wanted to make some serious changes.

I need to talk to you about where you found the cabinetry and such. We're preparing to redo the bathroom, since the plumbing is going and we suspect the sub-flooring is bad and the tile is falling off in places. I want a lot of cabinets and drawers, since we have no linen closet and I've a fantasy of a space *inside* a cabinet to store and plug in everything from toothbrush and razor chargers to blow dryers.

You're kitchen is lovely and the storage space is incredible, compared to the "before" pictures. I'll bet you're really going to enjoy being able to get your "stuff" out of storage and into use and it'll make life a lot easier, in terms of meals and the like. Thanks for sharing.

Good Job!

dona said...

Thanks DR, Yeah as you can see there was not much in the way of cabinets. What was here had been the same for 35+ years. There are more pics on my blog. I just sent Bill a few. And yes I can hardly wait to get my kitchen things out of storage to use them. Slowly but surely I will get to use my things again...hopefully.

I will be glad to send you the link to where we got the cabinets. I can't remember off hand if there are more places than here but am sure there were. This one was 2 hours from here. They were very nice also, which for me is always a plus.