Thursday, March 11, 2010

Call The Cops

How could you not love this little dude?

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/7-year-old-boy-calls-911-saves-family-from-attackers/19392052?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolnews.com%2Fnation%2Farticle%2F7-year-old-boy-calls-911-saves-family-from-attackers%2F19392052

Speaking of love and heros here is another hero to love:

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/female-world-war-ii-pilots-to-receive-top-congressional-honor/19389988?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl5|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolnews.com%2Fnation%2Farticle%2Ffemale-world-war-ii-pilots-to-receive-top-congressional-honor%2F19389988

Amazing woman, no? I am not sure I could get in an airplane now let alone when I am in my ninites.

And the seven year-old hero, how smart of him to lock himself in the bathroom and take the phone with him. I don't think I would be that smart, in fact I know I wouldn't. One time when I was living in Los Angeles after a night on the town I went home, put my pants over a chair and fell asleep on the couch. I heard a noise. Woke up and there was this man going through my pants. Did I do the smart thing and acted like I was still asleep? Nope I yelled "what the f are you doing?" He took off and I tried to tackle him. Fortunately I missed. He went out the door down the stairs with me chasing him. He dropped my wallet at the bottom of the stairs. Everything was still in it. Not much was in it after the night on the town but my driver license and credit cards. Once I got the wallet, I stopped chasing him and called the cops. They never did find him. I was also properly chewed out by the cops. I wasn't as smart as the seven year-old.

Have you ever had moments where you weren't as smart as a seven year-old? Ever been robbed? How about flying? Would you like to fly a plane?

4 comments:

Lady DR said...

Gee, for someone who threatened to disappear, you're coming up with great stuff. I cannot believe how smart the little boy was! Definitely my kind of hero.

As to Grandma in the plane - I say Good for Her! I'm so glad to see the WASPs finally being recognized and it always warms my heart to hear about our elders being active, positive, inspiring.

Yeah, I'm sure I've had moments when I wasn't as smart as the seven year old. Like the time I decided to face off with the guy trying to break into my apt. At least I had my roommate calling 911, but still...

I'd love to learn to fly! I hate commercial flying and only do it if there's no other choice, but small planes - great! Tell me when to be at the airport. Himself has had his private license for years, although I'm not sure he can still fly, since he had the heart attack. Don't know what the waiting period is. I've been up with him, up with his brother, in four seaters. Living in Juneau, not unusual to take a four or six seater to get someplace, whether Glacier Bay or up into Canada. OFten, it was the only choice. Interesting -- Mom was terrified of flying, would only go to Daddy's conventions and Tupperware conventions if we drove. One day, Daddy told her he'd make airline reservations to go to the Texas convention and if she was going with him, she was getting on a plane. I guess that was maybe fifty years ago. This woman has since flown all over the country, in and out of AK a couple times a year or more AND took the mail plane, which had to land at the dock on skis, to put on tupperware parties in remote and isolated villages. She's grown to hate the hassles of commercial flying, especially with her mobility problems, but I'd bet, if we could get her into a small plane somehow, she'd be ready to go in a skinny minute.

Pat said...

That little boy is absolutely a hero, and if you saw him on tv, you'd know he's also the cutest little kid in the world. What presence of mind! Better than I would have -- I'd see guns and I'd freeze.

Love the story about the WASPS, too. What a shame they didn't get recognition a lot sooner.

I've only once been less smart than a 7 y/o. I once picked up a young guy who had a sad story about locking his keys in his car with his kids inside, and I was going to help him out. It soon became apparent that the kids-in-the-car story was a lie, and I didn't know what to do with him then. Ended up dropping him off at his friend's place, and I thought afterward that I was very lucky I wasn't mugged. But he was kinda scrawny, so maybe I could have taken him. {g}

William J. said...

Hi DR

More quality than quantity on the blog lately!

As Pat said that little boy is also damn cute too.

I also say good for the Grandma. The recognition for the WASPs is long over due.

So you made the same poor choice that I did! There is something about someone being in your house that you want there that does things to our minds!

I'm not a big fan of flying. It is the loss of control I think. However, I like the large planes and won't get on a small plane. Your dad made a flyer oout of your Mom but bless her heart for overcoming that fear.

When I win the lottery we will charter a small plane for you to bring Himself and your mom to the blog party.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I saw the little boy on the news right after I posted this entry on the blog. You are right the kid is absolutely adorable. They also had the 911 operator one, she said she was almost in tears hearing the screaming but she had to calm him down.

I wouldn't freeze if I saw the gund, I'd faint.

One of the saddest things about our history is the way we kept the WASPs in the back ground.

And Pat, I only have a couple of things to say about your experiences. One, what in the heck were you thinking! Two, I am glad nothing happened to you. Of course in a battle with a scrawny kid, my money would be on you.

Bill