Friday, March 5, 2010

A Major Vent.

I am sorry I haven't posted on the blog today. I would have posted earlier if I hadn't been getting the run around from the following company:

Atria Healthcare

Billing address:

PO Box 31001-1157
Pasadena, CA 91110-1157

National toll free number:

1-866-505-6365

Local Portland, Oregon number:

503-258-2200

If you ever come across this company in your dealings with your elderly parents, or with your own medical or insurance issues I have some advise for you. RUN. RUN AS FAR AWAY FROM THEM AS YOU CAN. That is unless you want to deal with a company that doesn't talk to other branches within their company. Then when they can't get the information they need from fellow employees (information they have been given already by Medicare, the Doctor, your parent) they will make your elderly parent suffer and threaten to take away her wheelchair. If that is the type of company you want to deal with then give them a call.

My Mom needs a wheelchair. She can't walk long distances. The doctor advised Mom to use the wheelchair whenever she can. Dr. J wrote Mom a prescription for a wheelchair and ordered it from Atria Healthcare. Medicare and the company approved it. For just barely over five bucks a month Mom had a wheelchair. They delivered the wheelchair. Then the problems started.

First there was a call a week ago from someone that said he was based in Texas. He told Mom they were going to pickup her wheelchair because the doctor hadn't approved it. He was told yes she had approved it. He said they were getting no cooperation form our doctor. Of course that wasn't the truth we had a copy of the letter the doctor sent the company. Then he said well we have the approval but our branch doesn't have it, they have it at the Portland office. He said they need it at their branch to complete the paper work. He in addition said the Portland office wasn't returning his calls and he would try again. If he didn't get the branch office's cooperation then he would need our help. I said OK, let us know and we would do what we could to help him. He must have missed that part.

Today I was at Mom's checking up on her. Sis and her husband are in Utah helping my niece move to her own house. My niece separated from her husband. While sis is gone I am back in the main caregiver game. While at Mom's we got a call. Guess from who? They said we want to know when we can pickup the wheelchair. I responded politely that my Mom had paid all of her bills on time and had paid the account up to date. I informed them that nobody in this household had requested the chair to be picked up. She said OK. After she hung up Mom and I looked through her account. The bill is due next Monday but she hadn't received her statement yet. I thought this is an easy task, I will just call them, mention that they mistakenly had scheduled a wheelchair pickup and could they send the March statement.

I called the local number and of course got their voice mail. Push one if you only want to get a little bit annoyed, push two if you want your blood pressure to rise a little, push three if you want to get a little more angry, and push four if you really want to get pissed off.

I pushed four. The wait was about five minutes and a woman came on the line. Well, since I couldn't really understand a word she said it could have been a man or a robot but it sounded kind of like a woman. OK, I am a liberal dude and I don't really care if I deal with someone new to our language. The problem is that in their native tongue they are used to talking extremely fast and when they talk that fast in English you are lucky if you catch two words. I kept saying we don't want the wheelchair picked up and she kept asking when they could pickup the wheelchair. OK, I finally asked if I could talk to her supervisor. She said yes and put me on hold. While on hold I cleaned Mom's house, fixed dinner, and read War And Peace. The supervisor came on. She tried. At least I think she tried. I would have known she had tried if I could have understood her. She kept telling me all they were going to do for me but I was going to have to talk to someone else to cancel the pickup and get the statement. Great I said transfer me to that department. She gave me the phone number to call in case she lost me into outer space during the transfer process. The phone number she gave me? The one that I had called!! The transfer was successful and I reached their customer service department. A lady that I could completely understand came one the line. I gave her Mom's name and account number. She asked if it was OK if she put me on hold. Sure. I wanted the problem solved so I was willing to hold. OK, while on hold since I already had read War and Peace, this time I finished Gone With The Wind. The customer service lady never came back. Know what happened? It transferred me back to voicemail and I got the message I got when I first dialed the phone number. I was to annoyed to push any number, so I just took a deep breath and stayed on the line. Eventually a man came on the line, "your account number and the reason you are calling." I have a lot of patience but it went out the window with that question. I basically told him, that I had never dealt with a worst company, that no he couldn't have the account number and the reason I was calling because I had already given that information to half of their staff. Then I hung up.

I've decided that I don't need the aggravation. Within the next week I am going to buy Mom a nice wheelchair. Then I am going to take the wheelchair she has now to the local office of the medical equipment company from hell and shove it up the nether regions of the first employee of theirs that I see.

At least it gave me something to write about today. I'm done.

10 comments:

Lady DR said...

Oh, Bill, what a horror story! Having been there and done that (including painting the house and reading War and Peace on hold), I'm amazed you can even describe it coherently.

Can you possess your soul in patience for a day or two? When Mom needed a wheelchair, we went through something similar, except we had to rent locally and Medicare wouldn't pay for it - no, the local place wouldn't accept Medicare.

Anyway, bottom line is I priced wheelchairs and I also hefted them, since I had to get them in and out of the station wagon most of the time. A friend of mine recommended a "transport chair," which is like a wheelchair, only it weighs about half as much (in the event your sister is doing part of the hefting time), but it's very sturdy. Mom weighs about twice what your mom does and it was plenty sturdy enough for her. Several advantages - it's lighter weight, it folds up smaller than a regular chair and the handles fold down, it has larger wheels on the back, so it works well on grass, as well as pavement, it has hand brakes on the handles, as well as the wheel brakes. We checked it out at local supply houses, then came home and checked the net. We got it from the website, paid half the cost of the local place, they paid shipping and we had it in three days. All around, it's been a godsend.

Mom doesn't use the wheelchair in the house, she gets around there with a walker. Outside the house, she needs the transport chair, as she can not walk any distance at all and this has been a good answer for her/us.

I'll be talking to Mom tomorrow night and can get the manufacturer and the model number, find the website and e-mail you the information. I sent all that info to AZ with Mom. No, Medicare didn't pay for it. Given the price, it wasn't worth all the hassles (I think it runs around $175 to $225). The company we dealt with had all kinds of wheelchairs and, as I recall, scooters of various types.

Let me know in e-mail if you want the info or if you've already made your moves.

What you describe and what we went through is ridiculous. I could have saved myself a lot of time, money, anxiety and high blood pressure readings, if I'd just known about the transport chairs at the beginning.

Pat said...

Bill, you have my complete sympathy. I'm currently trying to get my doctor's office to order some rather ordinary blood tests for me before my app't with the doc. A simple request, right? Wrong. So far, I can't get a human being on the line, have left the request with two assistants' voicemails and gotten no callback. Maybe I should just show up at the office and demand a blood test order?

Not an insurance horror story, just another frustration.

About wheelchairs... when I needed one for 3 months, Medicare paid for the first month and I rented for two more. Found out later that the prices I was given for buying one were about 4X what I could get one for, both locally and online, so for the 2 month rental fees, I could have bought one to have for emergencies or to loan to needy friends. Oh, well.

The transport chairs are okay if your mom will always have someone to wheel her around, but from my own experience, the lighter weight regular chair was better, as I could be independent, too. One woman where my mom lives was given a transport chair by her son, so when she wants to just go outside for a short while, she has to call for help. When I visited there in my regular wheelchair, I could zip all around the place, since it's all one level with no carpet to make wheelchairing difficult. You can get a lighter weight regular one for around $150, or could 2 years ago when I researched it a bit too late for myself.

William J. said...

Hi DR

It took an hour or so before I was calm enough to write and of course writing about it settled me down a ton.

I am not buying a wheelchair until maybe Monday or Tuesday. We are also going to look at the local Lions Club, the one in the community that Mom lives in provides chairs for free. So that is a possibility.

I'd be willing to look at trapnsport chairs and to test them so yes I would appreciate the information. I do think Pat had some good insight into them. Mom is alone a lot so that might not work for her, but I am not going to rule it out until I explore it, thank you for doing that for me!!

Sister rarely has to lift the wheelchair, when mom is out her husband is usually with her and he takes care of the lifting.

I do want the info, thank you!


Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

That is just awful and very annoying that you can't get a blood test ordered. I would definitely be tempted to show up and request a blood test!

That is the thing, you can get used wheelchairs for not much more than renting them. And it would be useful to have one around.

You have a great point on transport chairs and mom does want to keep her independence for as long as she can. She is alone a lot. She does have a mobil one. But that one you can't get in the car.

Thanks for the information!

Bill

cd0103 said...

I have no experience with wheelchairs, but bless your heart. What a nightmare.

William J. said...

CONNIE!!!!!!

I've been wondering what you have been up to!

And thank you.

Bill

Anonymous said...

Great Site. Was added to mybookmarks. Greetings From USA.

William J. said...

Welcome Anon and thank you!


Bill

Pat said...

LOL! Bill, I think you got punked by anon, there. Can you ban people from commenting?

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I get eight to ten of those a day but I have comment moderation when they post on a thread more than two weeks old and delete them before they see the lite of day. That is usually the way they spam.

The ones that post currently I usually delete within an hour and you usually never see them but with Sis gone I was at Mom's for a couple of hours and didn't get to delete it before you saw it.

By the first anon was legit that is why I let it stand, it posted at at time when I got a hit from NY.

Bill