Monday, June 21, 2010

Celebrate

Not much today as I am at my Mom's. Sister is in Utah and will be back tomorrow. As always with this caregiver she gets sick when we need her the most so she took off yesterday for her home with a supposed cold. I spent last night at Mom's and am spending today and tonight there. Since Mom had more to do with me being brought into this world on this day then I did, I am going to turn this change of plans into a celebration of her and make her day as plesant as possible. I do get a lot of food this week. Mom is taking me to lunch today. Sis is taking me to dinner tomorrow. My favorite cousins are coming up from Albany and taking me to lunch on Wednesday. And a friend is going to take me to lunch or dinner later in the week if her schedule allows. Food. My idea of a good birthday week.

Among the things I am celebrating today are good stories. Like this one:

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/06/15/philadelphia-story-straight-from-heart-of-dynamic-duo/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl9|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fmlb.fanhouse.com%2F2010%2F06%2F15%2Fphiladelphia-story-straight-from-heart-of-dynamic-duo%2F

A lot of the last year I spent a lot of time getting in touch with my inner doofus. Going out into the world with two different shoes on and almost going out into the world with my panst on backwards. So today we celebrate a member of the stronger sex that got in touch with her inner doofus:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100621/ap_on_fe_st/as_odd_new_zealand_goldilocks

Abraham Lincoln once said when he was asked why he was so nice to his enemies and why he just didn't get rid of them, "Am I not getting rid of my enemies if I make them my friends?" So today's Who Am I celebrates a person that helped win a battle against us by helping a country that was an enemy at the time.

WHO AM I?

I am a war hero that has a chocolate company named after me. I was born in Massachusetts in 1775. Following the aftermath of the American Revolution, my father moved us to Canada. After the move I married a Loyalist. We lived in Ontario. When my husband was wounded in a battle I went searching for him. As I was tending to his wounds we ran into three U.S. soldiers who wanted to kill us but a Canadian captain stopped them. The American army launched another attack capturing Fort George. On the evening of June 21 I became aware of plans for a surprise attack on troops led by British Lieutenant James FitzGibbon at Beaver Dams, which would have furthered American control in the Niagara Peninsula. While my husband was still suffering the effects of his injury from the previous battle I set out early the next morning to warn Lieutenant FitzGibbon. I walked approximately twenty miles before arriving at a camp of allied warriors who led me the rest of the way. The account of my trek changed repeatedly throughout my life and I never divulged how I learned of the attack. I had to wait until age eighty-five before the Prince of Wales recognized my war of 1812 feat. I died in 1868. My grave marker reads: "To perpetuate the name and fame of, who walked alone nearly 20 miles by a circuitous difficult and perilous route, through woods and swamps and over miry roads to warn a British outpost at DeCew’s Falls of an intended attack and thereby enabled Lt. FitzGibbon on the 24th June 1813, with less than 50 men of H.M. 49th Regt., about 15 militiamen and a small force of Six Nations and other Indians under Capt. William Johnson Kerr and Dominique Ducharmes to surprise and attack the enemy at Beechwoods (or Beaver Dams) and after a short engagement, to capture Col. Bosler of the U.S. Army and his entire force of 542 men with two field pieces." Who Am I?

7 comments:

Pat said...

Food. Lots of it. You've got the right idea about birthdays!

Are you looking for another caregiver? One who isn't quite so "sickly"? Or at least maybe a part-timer who could take up the slack now and then?

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I want to find a new caregiver or a part time caregiver, either one but I am overrulled.

Part of the problem is how hard we had to look and how many we had to go through to find this one.

Bill

Mary Z said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

William J. said...

Mary Z!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to see you!

How is the eye?

Thanks for the wishes

Bill

Pat said...

Bill, I know exactly how hard it is to find a caregiver. I now have to look for my fourth one for the two nights a week my 5 night person wants off. No matter how you slice it, it's a hassle.

The job I offer is easier than yours, because it's basically sitting around trying to stay awake in the wee hours to make sure my mom doesn't get up by herself and fall. But in a way it's harder because who wants to do 2 all-nighters a week? And I haven't even fired any of them. They seem to have to disappear for various reasons. So I wish you lots of luck in your search.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Sorry you have to look for a caregiver, you are right it is a pain in the ole behind.

Mom'as job is pretty easy, eat, sleep and put up with Mom's quirks.

Bill

William J. said...

Thank you Snug!!!