Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Religion

I don't usually talk politics or religion on the blog because they are just subjects that lend themselves to arguments instead of discussions. We all have our political leanings and most likely we aren't going to change them because of something somebody writes or says. We all have our religious beliefs and we aren't going to be browbeat in to changing those beliefs by someone else. I did find this article in yesterday's USA Today on religion extremely interesting:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/forum/2010-06-28-column28_ST_N.htm

Quoting the article:

"the focus of untold generations of well-intentioned Christians compelled to live out the Great Commission that Jesus laid out in the Gospel of Matthew ("Go and make disciples of all nations"). The standard argumentative approach — built around "spiritual laws," A-to-B-to-Z logic, and black-and-white propositions about the one religious truth — seems more counterproductive with each passing year, more likely to repel than persuade."

Further quoting the article:

"What do Christians learn when they start listening to atheists? Henderson, author of the forthcoming book The Outsider Interviews, has found that the "I'm right/you're wrong" model is a conversation-killer par excellence. So is speaking of non-converts as "lost." "Nothing sets off an atheist more than hearing a Christian say, 'I know Jesus is God and that I'm going to heaven when I die," Henderson says. "They also notice that we often say it loudly and arrogantly, which only serves to reinforce their negative opinion of our certainty."

The two quotes really hit home with me. I do have strong religious beliefs. I believe living with a good heart. I believe in treating your fellow men and women with respect. I believe in charity. Love your fellow men and women. None of us are perfect so understand and forgive. I believe in accepting people for what they are instead of judging them for their beliefs. I believe in witnessing not brow beating. I witness by the way I lead my life, not by making you feel like you are going to hell if you have the gall not to believe the way I do. There is room in this world for people to believe differently than I do, it is what makes the world interesting and a better place. That is why I have so much trouble with some evangelists. Like my Mom's caregiver. She believes basically unless you believe the way she does you are going to hell. Any conversation starts with "I'm right and everyone else is wrong." Unless you are reborn you go to hell. You can be Ten Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer, or an untold number of serial killers and go to heaven just as long as you are reborn before you die. You can lead a perfect life and go to hell if you aren't reborn before you die. Frankly, that is bunk. Whenever someone starts with I'm right and you are wrong they basically are making the determination themselves of who is and who is not going to heaven. By doing so they are placing themselves on a higher level than God. They are also defeating what they believe is their purpose on this earth, making you believe the way they do.

The reason I love this article is that two people with completely different views are listening to each other. Now if only Republican and Democrats could do the same thing. Let's start with getting rid of political talk radio shows and political talk television shows that serve no useful person other than to divide us.

Your comments are always appreciated.

WHO AM I?

Yesterday's answer was Marian Wright Edelman.

I was born in 1847 in Ohio and died there in 1907. I was born the elder daughter of a prominent banker. Granddad founded the city's first newspaper. I graduated from a finishing school. I was refined, charming, and strikingly attractive. I met Bill at a picnic and married him when I was twenty-three and he was twenty-seven. We had two children, both daughters. One died at age four, one never lived to see her first birthday. I had a fragile, nervous temperament and broke down when Mom and my two daughters died within months of each other. I developed epilepsy and became totally dependent on my husband. My seizures at times occurred in public including one at an inaugural ball for my governor. Although an invalid the rest of my life, I kept busy with my hobby, crocheting slippers, making gifts of literally thousands of pairs to friends and acquaintances. When my hubby became head honcho he took great care to accommodate my condition insisting that I be seated next to him at state dinners instead of at the other end of the table. At receiving lines I alone remained seated. Guests noted that whenever I was about to undergo a seizure hubby gently placed a napkin or handkerchief over my face to conceal my contorted features. When it passed, he would remove the napkin and resume whatever he was doing as if nothing had happened. My husband's patient devotion and loving attention was the talk of the capital. Someone remarked that he made it pretty hard for the the husbands in the city. Unfortunately my husband didn't finish his term thanks to his assassination. After his death I lost the will to live. Although I bore up well in days between the shooting and the president's death I could not bring myself to attend his funeral. My health eroded as I withdrew to the safety of my home in Ohio. I was cared for by my younger sister. Who Am I?

4 comments:

Lady DR said...

Interesting article and some very good points. I don't think Christ meant we were to drag people, kicking and screaming, to his feet. Like you, I believe witnessing is leading by example - loving kindness, compassion, forgiveness, charity, tolerance, understanding and NOT forcing others to accept your beliefs. As a very wise woman once said, "There are many paths to heaven and which of us is to say ours is the best or only one?"

I suspect each of us knows at least one or more individual(s) who lead a life of goodness but don't share our beliefs. I also suspect each of us knows individual(s) who profess verbally, yet live un-Christian lives. (Want to lay odds on how many corporate CEOs are in a pew every Sunday?)

The open discussion, with no accusations or demands, was good to read. Mostly, it was the fact there was no judgment. What concepts! (wry s) Now, if only that would spread, as you say, to other areas, including politics. How much more could be accomplished by listening and considering, rather than shouting down those with whom we may not agree?

William J. said...

Hi DR

I completely agree with you. Who would want a follower that had to be dragged to you?

I love the quote that bears repeating "There are many paths to heaven and which of us is to say ours is the best or only one?"

Good point about the CEOs. And how many times have we seen a couple holding hands as they walk into church only to read the next week that he is cheating on her.

We should on work on open dialogue!

Bill

Pat said...

I'll agree with both of your outlooks, though it does seem to me in the article that the hope and expectation is still to convince people to believe in what to me are simply myths. I've found that discussions of such things always go back to "the Bible says", and when that happens, discussion is pointless.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I do think there is always some hope that open dialogue will result in one or both people involved in the dialogue change their opinion. But what is more important to me than that open is that they are having dialogue and listening to each other.

Bill