Monday, June 28, 2010

Helping Children.

Because the following article is so long I am not posting much today. The article is well worth the read and it is one of those feel good ones. Read this very heartwarming story here:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/06/haiti_quake_aftermath_boy_forg.html

Before closing I wanted to wish the University of South Carolina's baseball team good luck in the College World Series Baseball Championship series against UCLA.

As always your comments are welcome. They don't even have to be about the subject of the day!

WHO AM I?

To celebrate children and South Carolina I chose an appropriate Who Am I for today.

I was born in 1939 and as far as I know I haven't died yet. I am most known for being a children's rights activist and was the founder of a famous defense fund. I was the youngest of five children in the same state that DR now resides. My father was a Baptist minister who installed in me that Christianity obligates one to service to others. Dad died when I was fourteen, speaking his last words to me "don't let anything stand in way of your education." I didn't having a B.S. degree, a Yale law degree and traveling the world on a scholarship. I went to law school after being arrested for my activism. I was the first of my nationality to be admitted to the a southern state's bar. I worked on racial justice issues and established a Head Start Program in my community. I moved to Washington, D.C. to help Martin Luther King, Jr. with some issues. While there I founded a research center. The poverty stricken children became my issues. I became their voice.
I persuaded Congress to overhaul foster care, support adoption, improve child care, help homeless children, and also help abused and neglected children. My most famous quote is "If you don’t like the way the world is, you have an obligation to change it. Just do it one step at a time.” I still contineu to advocate youth pregnancy prevention, child-care funding, prenatal care, greater parental responsibility in teaching values and curtailing children’s exposure to the barrage of violent images transmitted by mass media. I met my husband during a tour of Robert Kennedy of the poverty ridden Delta slums. My law professor husband and I have three sons. I have many awards including Barnard Medal of Distinction, Albert Schweitzer Prize of Humanitarianism, The Presidential Medial of Freedom, Community of Christ International Peace Award, and The Boy Scouts of America Silver Buffalo Award. I currently serve on the board of New York's Robin Hood Foundation, Who Am I?

4 comments:

Lady DR said...

You're right, it's quite a story. What blows my mind is that loving parents have to wait so long and go through so much paperwork and bureaucracy, while the babies, toddlers and children are living in orphanages, often understaffed and underfunded. In this case, it took a major disaster for Sam to come to the US after a long wait that would, otherwise have been longer.

Yet, this seems to be standard. I have acquaintances who've adopted from Russia, from China and it seems there's one other country and in every case it's cost huge fees and wait times of anywhere from eighteen months to two and a half years, with no guarantee they'll be given the child, once they arrive at his/her country of origin. There really has to be a better way.

(Putting away soapbox)

Uh, thanks for the good wishes for USC. I didn't even know they were playing (hanging head in shame).

Pat said...

Yeah, what DR said. {G} Definitely a heartwarming story.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I completely agree with your rant!
You have to wonder how many children die waiting to be adopted.

I knew about the college world series because a friend of my was picked as on of the all time all stars. The picked an all time all star team this year since this is the last year the world series is being held in a stadium they have played in for over fifty years. My friend was MVP of the college series one year when he pitched for the other USC.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

It looks like the three of us are like minded!!

Bill