Saturday, June 26, 2010

Man Up Portland!

According to the second annual joint survey by Mars Chocolates, Combo's Snacks and research expert Bert Spelling of the fifty most manliest cities in the United States Portland, Oregon comes in last. Charlotte, North Carolina is first. Los Angeles is forty-eighth, Seattle is thirtieth, Memphis is twenty-eighth, Nashville is third, Indianapolis is eighth, Milwaukee is sixth, and Columbia, South Carolina comes in thirteenth. You can read the article here:

http://www.mars.com/global/news-and-media/press-releases/news-releases.aspx?SiteId=94&Id=2087

The study used criteria like the number of home improvement stores, steak houses, pickup trucks, motorcycles per capita and the number of "manly jobs" like fire fighters, police officers, construction workers and EMT personnel.

What do you think of the survey? Is your city manly? Do you think I need to move to a different city to become manly?

The next subject I am going to file under an extremely stupid Facebook joke gone bad.

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/facebook-photo-of-baby-with-bong-sparks-outrage/19532074?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl1|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolnews.com%2Fnation%2Farticle%2Ffacebook-photo-of-baby-with-bong-sparks-outrage%2F19532074

OK, It was extremely stupid of the to young mother to post a picture of her baby smoking a bong on Facebook. But are the authorities making way to much over it? Should she lose custody of her baby because of it? Yes and no are my answers.

Hope this turns out to be a good Saturday for you. I am going to spend the day trying to man up.

WHO AM I?

Yesterday's answer was Marie LaVeau

I was born in North Carolina in 1768 and died in Washington D.C. in 1849. My maiden name is the same as Thomas's last name. I was born to Quaker parents and had no formal education. We moved to Philadelphia when I was fifteen. I am considered one of if not the most colorful firsts. I possessed a sparkling personality and a kind heart. I married a Philadelphia lawyer and fellow Quaker. We had two sons. A yellow fever epidemic hit Philadelphia, claiming the lives of my husband and one of my sons within weeks of each other. My characteristic optimism enabled me to get through this tragedy and continue to live life to its fullest. I attended various social functions in Philadelphia, then the capital of the United States. At one of the events through a then duel senator I was introduced to a representative from Virginia. Despite him being seventeen years my senior we soon began a courtship, culminating in his proposal of marriage and my acceptance. Despite my strict Quaker upbringing because he was an Episcopalian I was ostracized from the Society of Friends (Quakers) for marrying outside my faith. Freed of the quaintness of the Quaker doctrine my liveliness began to manifest itself in my appearance as well as my personality. I began taking snuff, and wearing bright clothing and turbans adorned with jewelry or feathers. When my husband was appointed Secretary of Sate we moved to a city and I took to its society like a duck takes to water. The then single president asked me to serve as hostess at the famous house's social events. My extroversion served to enliven the often austere atmosphere of the administration and in addition providing the harmony needed to quell the political tensions. Through my special inviting manner the often tense political, as well as social, atmosphere of the time could become wonderfully calm. When I became first I made the White House a most delightful place to visit. I was beautiful gregarious, buoyant, and cheerful, the regular social gatherings I hosted were lively events at which anyone would feel welcome. I had an expansive memory for names and the ability to make everyone at home in the House. I began holding Wednesday evening "drawing rooms" (receptions) that became immensely popular with politicians, diplomats, and the citizenry. I was renowned for my charm and knowledge of politics and current events. I was an asset to my husband's political career as my outgoing demeanor complimented his reserved and stonefaced disposition and my political insight influenced his decisions. When British troops invaded the city I courageously stayed behind until vital state documents and famous portraits were removed to safety. After fleeing the city with my husband we returned three days later to find the House burned down. Though my second marriage was childless it was always romantic. Unfortunately my surviving son from my first marriage had such awful spending habits that he reduced me to poverty. To survive after my second husband's death I had to sell both his home and his papers to pay off creditors. I was buried in the Congressional Cemetery with all the dignitaries attending. Later my remains were moved to another state to be next to my second husband. Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

I think both stories are ridiculous. "Manly" cities? Good grief. Stay where you are. I imagine you have enough hardware stores and steakhouses.

I'd answer yes and no to your questions, also, and add that the authorities are making WAY too much of a stupid little joke. The moral of the story seems to be Beware of Facebook!

Lady DR said...

Stay right where you are, my dear. You're definitely manly and -- equally important -- a gentleman, regardless of your city's lack of (most probably) pickup trucks and motorcycles. Living in the Upstate of SC, I can see how Charlotte took 1st and Columbia placed. I'm sure, if they'd looked at smaller cities, we'd have been in the rankings as well. I mean, we've got a Lowe's and a Home Depot directly across the street from each other (g), a huge Harley of Greenville club and more pickup trucks than one can count. We also have a lot of manly gentlemen of all ages, who say "yes, ma'am" and "no ma'am" and hold doors and such.

As to the second article -- as Himself often says, "You can't fix stupid." Actually, until the woman semi-admitted what the thing was, the picture was fuzzy enough I wasn't sure but what it might have been a vase. Are the authorities going overboard and should she loses custody? Depends. Were there drugs in the house? Did she test positive for drugs? Any history of drug usage? Did the baby test positive for any drugs? Is there a husband or family in the picture? I'd want answers to all these questions, before I said one way or the another. That said, it really was a very foolish thing to do.

I also agree with Pat. Facebook may be a positive communication tool for some, but beware what you post, because it's out there for the world to see. As I understand it, even if you post a comment or picture and you've restricted it to friends, anything can get more widespread, especially if your "friends" allow almost anyone into their page.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

There is a Home Depot within walking distance of my home but I have to drive ten to fifteen miles for a good steak.

Glad to see you answered the second story questions the same way I would!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Thanks for calling me a gentlemen! It doesn't bother me there are many motorcycles here since I am not going to get on one again.

A lot of the man cities were in the South or in cities known for beer drinking like Milwaukee.

I love the questions that you ask in regards to the second article. Maybe the authorites do need to address those questions but they come up no then taking her child away is a little severe.

I must be in the minority because I just don't worry about Facebook intrusions. I just post when and where I want and am ready to deal with the consequences.

Bill