Saturday, June 12, 2010

Deleting Data From A Printer's Hard Drive.

Some days I have to look high and low to find a subject to discuss on the blog. I look at The Oregonian, The USA Today, Yahoo.Com, AOL News, different Internet sites, various large city newspaper sites like the LA Times, Chicago Sun Times, and The NY Times. I also examine my life closely to see if there is anything hiding in the boredom that might interest or help someone. Then they are days like today where the subject for the day just miraculously appears in my mail box.

I really admire men like my brother-in-law, Bob, and Dona's husband, The Shankster. They have that ability to fix things around the house that has seemed to have escaped me. I can fix a tax return with the best of them. Want someone to stand in your place before the IRS and eloquently argue your case, then I am your man. Want an expert witness that has an honest face to help you win your case? I'm there. Seldom lose. OK, I lied. I'm being humble. I never lose. Although I've been known to expertly change some light bulbs, do a darn good job of mowing the lawn, and getting a stain out, you basically want to keep me away from anything else that needs fixing in any house. Around any house, I'm useless. How good am I at taking any machine apart and putting it back together? I can do it if you want to end up with an unworkable machine with a lot of leftover parts. But to actually take any machine apart and put it back together correctly just file me under useless and call The Shankster or Bob.

A couple of weeks ago after going to a seminar about protecting data I posted an entry on the blog about the dangers of having hard drives on copy machines. Here are the links to that post and to the article within that post where some dude bought three used copy machines and what he found one them:

The post:

http://thedahnreport.blogspot.com/2010/05/protecting-data.html

The article:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/04/19/eveningnews/main6412439.shtml

Since the seminar and since reading that article I've been losing sleep over how in the world to get rid of the data on the hard drive of my copy machine should I decide to trade it in for a newer version. Been praying almost every night for someone to step up to the plate and show me how. God love Dona and The Shankster because just a couple of days Dona sent me an email showing me The Shankster's three step plan to get rid of data on a hard drive of a copy machine. Enjoy The Shankster's three step plan:

STEP ONE



STEP TWO



STEP THREE



Don't you love The Shankster's method? Are you going to use it?

We are still sending prayers, positive thoughts, and good vibes Dona and The Shankster's way for good reports from their recent visit to the doctor.

WHO AM I?

Yesterday's answer was Maria Mitchell.

I was born in Philadelphia in either 1897 or 1902 and died in Portland, Oregon in 1993. Despite my city of death my memorial was held in front of over 2,000 admirers at Carnegie Hall. I was the eldest of three daughters born to a loader at a Terminal Market and teacher. Dad suffered a head wound at work and died shortly after my birth. Since teaching didn't pay that well Mom found work cleaning, laundering, and scrubbing floors. My high school education was focused on getting a job until people heard me sing. They had me sing at assemblies. I graduated at age 18 and applied to a local music school where I was rejected because of my color. I started singing in church when I was six. They soon called me "The Baby Contralto." Because we couldn't afford a music instructor I taught myself how to sing. I would often perform at three places in one night. I eventually had the confidence to charge five bucks per performance. I eventually toured black colleges and churches in the South. Soon that five bucks turned in one hundred bucks a performance. It lead to my first solo recital at Carnegie Hall. A New York Times critic wrote: “A true mezzo-soprano, she encompassed both ranges with full power, expressive feeling, dynamic contrast, and utmost delicacy.” Despite this success, my engagements were stagnating; I was still performing mainly for black audiences. I went to England to study which lead to a performance at London’s Wigmore Hall. Throughout my life I experienced racism, but the most famous event occurred in 1939. We tried to rent Washington, D.C.’s Constitutional Hall, the city’s foremost center, but was told no dates were available. We would have walked away with that response but a rival manager asked about renting the hall for the same dates and was told they were open. The hall’s director told us the truth, even yelling before slamming down the phone, “No Negro will ever appear in this hall while I am manager.” The public was outraged, famous musicians protested, and First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt resigned from the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), who owned the hall. Secretary of the Interior Harold Ickes arranged a free open-air concert on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial for Easter Sunday. I sang before 75,000 people and millions of radio listeners. Several weeks later I gave a private concert at the White House, where President Franklin D. Roosevelt was entertaining King George VI and Queen Elizabeth of Britain. During World War II and the Korean War, I entertained troops in hospitals and bases. On Easter Sunday in 1965 I gave my final concert at Carnegie Hall. Among many awards I have the American Medal of Freedom and the National Medal of Arts. Who Am I?

6 comments:

Pat said...

Absolutely more good vibes coming for Dona and The Shankster.

The Shankster's method is much like the one my son-in-law recommended, although he included driving a truck over it. I have an Epson printer that I was planning to put on Freecycle, but now I'm wondering what I printed on it. Definitely some letters with account numbers included. Does the C88+ have a hard drive? Beats me.

I probably won't pound on one with a hammer. As of now, I have 3 HDs in the closet. I was thinking more of finding a sound studio that has a powerful degausser and giving the HDs a ride on it, probably for a relatively minor fee. Will I get around to searching for a place? Probably not until the closet is full of more HDs.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I like the ideas of running over the hard drive with a truck or hitting it with a hammer. Or I might call the manufacturer and ask them how to delete the information.

Bill

Mary said...

Sometime when you go represent a client, I would love to come with you. I have never been before the IRS and would like to go with someone really good. If you think that might work with privacy issues, I would drive down there. I promise to sit very quietly and not say a thing. And if you think it's not a good idea, you can tell me, I'll figure something else out.

William J. said...

Hi Mary

If the client says OK sure I would love to have you come on down. You would have to join the pre audit meeting with the client where I give me there are just doing their job speech so treat them with respect and don't yell at them and don't volunteer any information, just answer the questions they ask and don't give answers they don't ask for.

Bill

dona said...

I really had not planned to post the hard drive solution anywhere, but when I saw the Shankster going out the door, printer in hand with hammer I knew what he was planning. Had to document it. Thanks Bill, I think your take on the whole thing was very funny.

I admire you for taking the time to go to such lengths to make sure we all have something to read and comment on. I think you are far from useless.

William J. said...

Hi Dona

I'm really hoping that some day I can meet you and The Shankster. He just sounds like such a good dude.

The good thing about looking at various news sources for blog posts is that I learn a ton. The blog and the posters here like you have made me a better person!

Bill