Thursday, June 17, 2010

I'm Cool!

Is there anything better than a five year-old young girl telling you she loves you, that you are cool and amazing? My brother's eldest daughter stopped by Mom's last night with her three children. They are moving to Pittsburgh where her husband starts a new job on June 28. This was kind of a good-bye meeting. Mom has a mobile wheelchair that she really doesn't use. All of my niece's kids wanted to go for a ride in the wheelchair. So I fired the thing up and spent about a hour going around Mom's house with young rugrats taking turns sitting in my lap. Before they left this is the note I got from the youngest daughter, Charlie. Click on the photo to enlarge it.



I've waited all me life to be called cool! Speaking about cool, the following article about the different uses of beer is kind of cool too!

http://www.diylife.com/2010/06/15/unusual-uses-for-beer/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl5|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.diylife.com%2F2010%2F06%2F15%2Funusual-uses-for-beer%2F

I'm heading right out now to get a six pack of beer and then I'm going to start my slug banishment program. What about you? Are you cool? Are you going out and buy a six pack of beer? When you get home are you going to use it to polish furniture or are you going to just sit down and just drink one or two?

WHO AM I?

Yesterday's answer was Stagecoach Mary Fields.

I was born in 1767 in Virginia and died in 1828 in Tennessee. I was considered both beautiful and vivacious when I was young. I was married twice. With my second husband we adopted two sons and were legal guardians for eight more children, six boys and one girl. The first marriage was to a Captain that was subject to irrational fits of jealousy and we separated in 1790. I met my second husband when he was a boarder in Mom's Tennessee home. I married him before the divorce from my first husband was final. Because of my second husband's political standing we made the marriage official after my first divorce was final. In the election of 1828 my husband's political opponents had a field day accusing me of being a bigamist among other things. Because of my second husband's military record and despite the accusations against me he won the election in a landslide. I died right before the electoral ball for the new President. He blamed his opposition for my death. The 1828election is considered by some historians to be one of the meanest in American history. While it lasted my second husband and I enjoyed a genuine love match. In 1813 I wrote, "Do not my Beloved Husband let the love of Country, fame and honor let you forget you have me. Without you I would think them all empty shadows. You will say this is not the Language of a Patriot but it is the language of a faithful wife..." When I died, He was inconsolable. He refused to believe I was actually dead and insisted that blankets be laid on my body in case she woke up and needed warmth. He built a tomb for me in my flower garden. According to his granddaughter he visited my grave every night at sunset. He hung my portrait at the foot of his bed so I would be the first thing he saw in the morning and the last thing he saw at night, and said, "Heaven will be no heaven for me if she is not there." Who Am I?

2 comments:

Pat said...

Well, Bill, I'm sure we all have thought you "cool and awesome" for a very long time. [s] Still, that's a very neat little tribute from the 5 y/o. She will grow up to be a woman of discernment, I'm sure.

I just got home from the market. If I had read this before I went, I'd have bought some beer. I could either drink it or try some of those other uses.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Wow what a nice comment.

I've already put the beer out in my slug trap.

Bill