Monday, June 14, 2010

Health Notes.

Hope this day has been and will be a good one for you. Today on the blog we have health issues on the agenda but first I want to ask for some positive thoughts, prayers, and vibes for Dona. I received an email from her husband, Frank, also known as The Shankster. He told me that Dona got some bad news last week and is having tests today. Let's get those famous blog healing powers in high gear and in Dona's direction!

Now on to three health subjects.

First up is that the AMA wants more accuracy from insurance companies. One in five claims is filed in error. Yup, we all suspected that the insurance companies filed our claims wrong and now we have proof! You can read the article here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100614/ap_on_he_me/us_med_ama_insurer_report_card

Next up is that some blood pressure medicine can cause cancer. Just be aware and double check your medication to make sure yours isn't on the list. If your blood pressure medicine is on the list it would be a good idea to consult with your doctor about a change in medication. You can read the article here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100614/ap_on_he_me/eu_med_blood_pressure_pills_cancer

The last health note is kind of sad but a sign of the times and the economy. Cancer survivors are delaying treatments because they can't afford the treatments. I find that just tragic. Certainly there has to be a way to help them. Here is the article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100614/ap_on_bi_ge/us_med_cancer_costs

As always your comments are appreciated.

WHO AM I

I was born in Missouri in 1906.and died in Paris in 1975. Both my parents were former slaves. I dropped out of school at age 12 and lived as a street child in the slums of St. Louis, sleeping in cardboard shelters and scavenging for food in garbage cans. I was married five times and adopted twelve children. My family was referred to a The Rainbow Tribe. I was decorated for my undercover work for the French Resistance during World War II. I was the first American-born woman to receive the French honor, the Croix De Guerre. I helped a lot of people who were in danger from the Nazis get visas and passports to leave France. Later in 1941 I went to the French colonies in North Africa; the stated reason was my health but the real reason was to continue helping the Resistance. From a base in Morocco I made tours of Spain and pinned notes with the information I gathered inside my underwear (counting on her celebrity to avoid a strip search.) Later I toured to entertain Allied soldiers in North Africa. I even persuaded Egypt's King Farouk to make a public appearance at one of my concerts, a subtle indication of which side his officially neutral country leaned toward. Later I performed at Buchenwald for the liberated inmates who were too frail to be moved. After the war I was a civil rights activist. I made charges of racism against the Stork Club in New York, where I had been refused service. Actress Grace Kelly, who was at the club at the time, rushed over to me and, took me by the arm and stormed out with her entire party, vowing to never return. We became close friends after the incident. I refused to perform for segregated audiences and integrated the Las Vegas nightclubs. I am better known in France then I am in the United States and although I am most remembered as a singer I was also a dancer and was the first African-American actress to star in a major motion picture. I was bi-sexual having a confirmed affair with Frida Kahlo. Ernest Hemingway called me "… the most sensational woman anyone ever saw." Who Am I?

4 comments:

dona said...

The Shankster is a lil sneak. I didn't know he emailed you! But thanks, appreciate anything you all can send our way! We are still awaiting results from 2 tests on him.

Thank goodness we aren't taking any of the medications on the list. But I still don't want to take any medications anymore after listening to some of the advertisements and hearing all the side effects. Sure makes you think.

It didn't surprise me on delaying treatment, as my mom was subject to treatment of cancer several times & I know my dad worried about it endlessly & hardly spent a dime on anything because he was always worried what would happen next & he was right. I couldn't believe the cost of some of her medications let alone when she finally had radiation. Once we had to drive 2 hours to get her a certain prescription, its cost for 30 pills was over $1,000 and that was in the 90's! It is terrible. I do wish there was an easy fix for this problem. I just think it is going to get worse.

William J. said...

Hi Dona

The Shankster isn't it sneak, he is a man that loves his wife! I am praying like hell that all the tests for you and him come back with only the best results!

I wasn't taking any medication on the list either and my goal is to get off of all medication because I felt better before taking this shit. Excuse the French.

A thousand bucks for any medication is awful. And to drive two hours for it. Terrible. There just has to be a better way.

Bill

Pat said...

Good wishes to you and the Shankster, too, Dona!

I'm taking that class of BP meds, but not the specific one in the article. Sheesh, just another thing to worry about. First they tell us that short people are more prone to heart attacks than tall people, and now this. Will I stop taking it? Probably not. Will I stop reading about small and questionable studies? Probably not.

American healthcare will probably get worse before it gets better because none of the pols have the political will to do anything of any consequence, the bums.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I sometimes turn off those ads that say if you have high bp or if you are taking this medicine. But I always read the articles.

I think if you quit taking the BP meds then high blood pressure is guaranteed, cancer isn't.

I also think health care will get better before it gest worse.

Bill