Monday, June 7, 2010

Lost Loves

First, the good story of the day:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/at_age_15_portland_student_chr.html

Now the movie reviw. The official web site for the movie Letters To Juliet:

http://www.letterstojuliet-movie.com/

From that web site is this description of the movie: "Letters To Juliet is an enchanting love story -- a tale of encountering new sparks and rekindling old flames. When Sophie (Amanda Seyfried, a young American, travels to Verona, Italy --the romantic city where Romeo first met Juliet -- she meets a group of volunteers who respond to letters written to Juliet seeking romantic advice. Sophie finds and answers a letter that has been lost for 50 years, and is stunned when its author Claire (Vanessa Redgrave) arrives in Italy with her handsome but overprotective grandson (Christopher Egan) to find the fiance she left decades before. Fascinated by Claire's quest, Sophie joins them on an adventure through the beautiful hills of Tuscany searching for Claire's long lost Lorenzo. The journey will change their lives forever, as they discover it's never too late to find true love."

The moved was expertly filmed with absolutely incredible scenery. The principal locations included the Relais Borgo Scopeto, a four-star luxury hotel a few miles north of Siena, and around the town of Montalcino and the Caparzo winery there. All are located in Tuscany. Filming was also conducted at the Casa di Giulietta in Verona. Some scenes were shot in New York in Bryant Park and on Elizabeth Street in the Bowery.

The movie is Directed by Gary Winick. Of course by far the best acting was done by Vanessa Redgrave. My next favorite performance was by Egan. Seyfried is not bad but not great. The women that played Juliet's secretaries also did OK but none of them really stood out, the were Lida Biondi, Milena Vukotic, Luisia Ranieri, and Marina Massironi.

I went to Letters To Juliet with my Mom and her caregiver. We should have left the caregiver at home so she could have used her cell phone in a more appropriate place. Mom enjoyed the movie and I have a "Mom factor" when reviewing movies. If Mom likes it and I get embarrassed less than five times during the movie it gets a better rating. The movie was your ultimate chick flick. Kind of sappy. Here is my rating: One star for the Mom factor, one star for the incredible scenery in Italy, and one star for Redgrave.

Did you know that people write to Juliet for romantic advise and they actually have secretaries that respond to the letters? I didn't. Do you have any lost loves that you would like to write to? I have one but I haven't really decided if I want to be that open and share it here. I did write about her as part of the book I'm. If I feel I want to expose myself you may read about that love here. Because of literary license it is about sixty-percent true. I just haven't decided yet if I won't to post an intimate part of my life.

WHO AM I?

I was born in 1922 in Ohio and died in 1965. I was raised by my Mom and my Mom's woman friend. I had one sister and we were Wonder Children and performed together.
Our act included singing, dancing, acrobatics, and skits. I met and married my husband while performing at the famous Cotton Club. I was nineteen when I got married. He was an atrocious husband, he carried on affairs and avoided spending time at home. My only daughter was brain damaged and I had to put her in someone else's care. I divorced the scumbag and pursued my career. I was the first black woman to perform at the Waldorf Astoria. Harry and I then starred in a movie together. Two years later I played Carmen. I was nominated for best actress for the role, the first black women so nominated. I found that despite my fame, it was hard finding work as a black actress. The forces of racism were too strong. I filed for bankruptcy after a failed second marriage a series of bad investments. I began to drink heavily and was found dead in my apartment of an overdose of Tofranil, an antidepressant that had been prescribed for me. Who Am I?

5 comments:

Pat said...

People write to Juliet for romantic advice??? While I might give her credit for trying, I'd say she didn't handle things all that well.

I have a few former boyfriends that I'd love to know current information about. But I wouldn't write to them even if I knew where to write. Wouldn't want to get anything started... just curious. Oh, and one of them I know is dead... for all I know, all of them are. Depressing? Yeah.

Lady DR said...

What a lovely story, Bill. It's so good to read the articles you post about what kids are doing, many at a very young age.

As to Juliet, I have to agree with Pat. It wasn't exactly a happy-ending for her (wry s).

Old boyfriends... hmmm... maybe one, just out of curiosity. Like Pat, I know one is dead. When his SO of many years went through his papers, she found my name and figured I'd been an important part of his life and tracked me down on Google, to let me know. We corresponded a few times - she asked some questions and I asked a few and that was it.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Juliet certainly wouldn't be my choice to write to for advise. Probably advise someone might die for though.

The good thing about not having many loves during my lifetime is most of them arne't lost and not many are dead.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I love the stories about teens doing good things, the good teens deserve the press more than the ones doing bad things do.

That makes three of us that aren't sure Juliet would be the best romantic advise giver.

I think it was nice that the SO tracked you down. And that you were important enough to him that he kept your letters.

Bill

WEB SHERIFF said...

WEB SHERIFF
Who You Gonna Call
Tel 44-(0)208-323 8013
Fax 44-(0)208 323 8080
websheriff@websheriff.com
www.websheriff.com

Hi William J,

On behalf of Summit Entertainment, many thanks for plugging "Letters to Juliet" ... .. thanks also, on behalf of the distributors and producers, for not posting any pirate copies or non-trailer clips of "Letters to Juliet" and, if you / your readers want good quality, non-pirated, previews, then the official trailer is available for fans and bloggers to post / host / share etc at http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/summit/letterstojuliet/ ... .. for further details of on-line promotions for this movie, check-out www.letterstojuliet-movie.com/ and, for info on Summit releases generally, check-out the official site and YouTube channel at www.summit-ent.com and www.youtube.com/user/summitscreeningroom.

Thanks again for your plug.

Regards,

WEB SHERIFF