Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Simple & Green.

Get the tissues out, she says why for me instead of why me. Today's hero:

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/06/01/friends-family-race-against-time-for-mandi-schwartz/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl4|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fnhl.fanhouse.com%2F2010%2F06%2F01%2Ffriends-family-race-against-time-for-mandi-schwartz%2F

On to a less emotional subject. Simplifying you life while turing it green. Today's USA Today had an article about Wanda Urnbanska and her new book "The Heart of Simple Living: 7 Paths To A Better Life." You can read the entire column here:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifestyle/environment/2010-06-02-urbanska02_ST_N.htm

Some of the things that she suggests are as follows:

Pay bills immediately.

Spend time outdoors.

Celebrate your victories.

Save you spare change.

Hang clothes outside.

Buy used.

Stop and chat.

How many of the things above do you do? I do almost all of them with three exceptions. I don't celebrate my victories, hang clothes outside, or buy used. I can improve! What other things would you put on the list to live simply?

WHO AM I?

Yesterday's answer was Mary Eliza Church Terrell.

My last name is often confused with another famous family. I was born in 1860 and died in 1935. I am known as the first American woman to win a famous prize. I was considered a mover and shaker in the labor movement and was a charter member of the NAACP I was the daughter of a very well-to-do gentleman; my mother was a kind and gracious lady. I had five brothers and sisters at the time of my mother's death when I was two. Father remarried and my new stepmother brought two new step-brothers to the already large family. I was especially devoted to my father who taught me tolerance, philanthropy, and a strong work ethic. He encouraged me to pursue higher education but not at the expense of losing my femininity and the prospect of marriage and motherhood. I attended the Rockford Seminary for young ladies and excelled. I developed strong leadership traits. My classmates admired me and followed my examples. I wished to pursue a degree in medicine, a choice that caused a great stir in our household. My parents felt that I had had enough education and were concerned that I would never marry. I became despondent. I wanted more in life and felt if my brothers could have careers in medicine and science, why couldn't I? Hoping to change my mind my parents took me and several of my friends on a long tour of Europe. They hoped that I would settle down and realize that my duty was to marry and have a family. During this time I began to show signs of serious illness. Dad died upon my return from Europe, which set me into a deeper depression and a sense of guilt that somehow I had upset him with my insistence upon a vocation. My illness grew to the proportion of "invalid." I could barely walk or move without great pain. I did have a slight curvature of the spine and for which I sought treatment. I had surgery and was strapped into a back harness from which I could not move for about a year. This year gave me time to think. When I recovered, I headed to Europe. While in England, I was introduced to the founders and the workings of Toynbee Hall, a settlement house in the slums of London. A friend and I committed to starting a settlement house in Chicago. I was able to procure all I needed with the generosity of patrons. Money poured in. Within a few years, The House offered medical care, child care and legal aid. It also provided classes for immigrants to learn English, vocational skills, music, art and drama. When in the late 1800s a severe depression rocked the country the House was serving over two thousand people a week. I worked for legislation to protect immigrants from exploitation, limit the working hours of women, mandate schooling for children, recognize labor unions, and provide for industrial safety. This led to the right to vote for women. I worked for Chicago municipal suffrage and became the first VP of the National American Women Suffrage Association. I became a very controversial figure while working on behalf of economic reform. When horrible working conditions led to a riot I was personally attacked for my support of the workers. It resulted in a great loss of donor support for the House. I supplemented House funding with revenue from lecture tours and article writing. I foresaw World War I and in an effort to avert war, I organized the Women's Peace Party and the International Congress of Women. When the U.S. joined the war in 1917, criticism of me rose. I was expelled from the Daughters of the American Revolution, but it didn't slow me down. I was a founding member of the ACLU. When the depression of the 1930's struck I saw many of the things that I had advocated and fought for become policies under President Franklin Roosevelt. I received numerous awards including the Prize. I am known for the quote: "I am not one of those who believe - broadly speaking - that women are better than men. We have not wrecked railroads, nor corrupted legislatures, nor done many unholy things that men have done; but then we must remember that we have not had the chance." Who Am I?

6 comments:

Pat said...

Brave girl in the first article. I learned something I didn't know. I thought stem cells didn't need to be matched, but they talk about "...if the DNA matches..." I certainly hope they can find a match, and I can't imagine why anyone would not gladly donate a little cord blood.

Of your list, I don't spend enough time outdoors, but some. I don't hang clothes outside. I do buy used quite a lot. I'd probably celebrate a victory if I had one.

Oh, wait, I got promoted in my online proofreading, from P1 (Apprentice) to P2 (Picky Proofreader). I guess that's a mini-victory. Must celebrate!

Lady DR said...

The story about the hockey player is a tear-jerker. She sounds like an exceptional individual and as if she's drawn similarly good people to her. How I hope they find a donor, one way or another.

Simplifying... been working on that for several years, off and on. One of our big changes was to downsize from a 3400 sq ft house to 1600 sq ft, plenty big enough for both of us to have separate offices for our businesses. I do most of the things she suggests. I don't save my spare change, but I do tuck a portion of my allowance away. I don't hang clothes outside and that probably won't change. I do buy used... we're big on garage sales and I've found some great clothes at the two thrift shops, which not only recycles the clothes, but benefits the local women's chapter. I've found brand new, never-out-of-the-box items at garage sales and clothes that still have the original price tag on them at the thrift stores. Like you, one of the things I don't really do is celebrate my victories. I agree with her on clearing clutter, taking it to the mission or the Hope Chest, mostly. One of the questions in the simplicity book I bought several years ago was: Do you own things or do they own you? Meaning not only how many hours of your life do you spend working for a big house, new furniture, new car, whatever and how many hours of your life do you spend maintaining them, from cleaning to making room for them and such?

As to adding to the list, we recycle all paper and magazines and such. There's no program here, it has to be hauled to a recycle site, so I admit we're not near as good about cans and bottles, but you gotta start somewhere.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Congratulations on your promotion to P2!!!!! More than a mini-victory!

I was also surprised that stem cells had to be matched.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I hope they find a donor for the hockey player too, she has the attitude that you would want the best for her.

I've never had a big house so I didn't have to downsize! It sounds like you are well on the way to green and simple! I love the question, do you own your things or do they own you!

I also recycle paper and magazines but it is a lot easier for me, just put it at the curb and Pride Disposal picks it up every other week.

And it seems like all of us need to improve where celebrating victories are concerned!

Bill

dona said...

Hi all, late as usual, and again the story was a tear jerker. I also hope they find a matching donor soon.

As to the list I do all except like everyone here, I don't celebrate victories...as I don't really have them!
Fortunately in town here we have a place for recycling just about everything. Until then however I admit I didn't recycle. So we really try hard to keep to it. I also like to frequent thrift shops and garage sales for only what we need.
We would love to live a more greener life, but for some reason it seems to take more of the green to do it that we have!

William J. said...

Hi Dona

No such thing as late on this blog! It's nice to see you whenever you can post!

I don't know young Dona you have had several victories since you have been posting here including some contest victories!

Love the comment about green! The most recent powerball winner was in Ohio, that is getting closer to you!

Bill