Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Elections In The Tank

I don't know what is going on in this world but is just seems like there is to much trauma going on to close to me. Got word last night that my brother has an elevated PSA and is going under exploratory tests today. Please send vibes, prayers, good thoughts, and what ever you can muster his direction. It would be appreciated. Now on to today's blog entry.

I really think the game plan for elections that is written about in the following article is misguided. Everyone in this one county in New York gets six votes per election in this year's elections. The reason they did this was to end up with more diverse elected officials. I am pretty old school, one person, one vote. I can see so much wrong with giving everyone six votes. Seems like there should be a better way.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100615/ap_on_el_st_lo/us_voting_rights_election

When I think about elections I can't help but think about commodes. I mean the way the politicians have run the country the past nineteen years they have put the country in the tank. Maybe we can improve the country the same way this inventive company is improving the commode:

http://smallbusiness.aol.com/2010/06/13/made-in-the-usa-the-toilet-goes-high-tech/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl6|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fsmallbusiness.aol.com%2F2010%2F06%2F13%2Fmade-in-the-usa-the-toilet-goes-high-tech%2F

I'm seriously considering buying three of these for the two and a half bathrooms in my townhouse. You sure wouldn't have to struggle for conversations if you had guests!

What do you think? Vote early vote often? Or stick with one vote? How about your next remodeling project going with the new fangled bathroom?


WHO AM I?

Yesterday's answer was Susan McKinney Steward

I was born a slave in Tennessee in 1832, grew up an orphan and never married. My family were nuns. I was referred to as a gun toting, hard drinking female of the wild west who was heavy, six feet tall and short tempered. I shared a penchant for physical altercations on a regular basis. I had no formal education. After gaining freedom after the Civil War I traveled North to Ohio. There I worked for a convent and formed a close bond with Mother Amadeus. When the nuns moved to Montana and I learned of Mother Amadeus' failing health, I went west to help out. Having nursed Mother Amadeus back to health I decided to stay and help build the St. Peter's mission school. When turned away from the mission because of my behavior, the nuns financed me in my own business. I opened a cafe. My big heart drove my business into the ground several times because I would feed the hungry at no cost. In 1895 I found a job that suited me, as a U.S. mail coach driver for the Cascade County region of central Montana. My mule, Moses, and I never missed a day which lead to my nickname. According to the Great Falls Examiner I broke more of others' noses in fights than any other person in central Montana. When I became to old to deliver the mail, at age seventy I opened a laundry service. I died of heart failure in 1914. Who Am I?

2 comments:

Pat said...

Lots of good wishes for your brother to get a good test report, Bill!

I also twitch a bit at more than 'one person, one vote', but I can see some attraction here. I've never heard of 'cumulative voting' before, but I have heard of and I think I approve of 'instant runoff voting'. I suggested it to our City Clerk one time when working on yet another city primary that costs the city a bundle each time. She said they couldn't do it because the voters wouldn't understand it--they have enough trouble filling out a normal by-mail ballot. Maybe another reason to have some kind of test before allowing people to vote.

I love the idea of the "Sink Positive" toilet. Why waste all that water used for washing your hands each time? Wouldn't mind having a sensor that would alert me to any toilet problem, either. But I think I'd draw the line at the "Fish & Flush". {g}

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Thanks for the wishes re my brother.

I agree with you about instant runoff voting. I think it is kind of sad that the City Clerk thinks voters aren't that smart. Of course she makes that statement based on what she had to deal with so I agree with about the test.

I also cross the line at fish and flush!!

Bill