Friday, June 25, 2010

Have I Met You Before? Weird Food.

Have you ever been in the grocery store when you run into someone that seems familiar but for the life of you, you not only can't remember who they are but whether or not you have even met them? The chance are if you had that happen to you then you are neither a gay man or a woman. Read the following article and then tell me if you fit the mold or are you the exception that proves the rule?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/08599199884800;_ylt=AlqRqfuBGjnEL4npKJDGE.as0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNrdGY3NmJmBGFzc2V0A3RpbWUvMjAxMDA2MjQvMDg1OTkxOTk4ODQ4MDAEY2NvZGUDbW9zdHBvcHVsYXIEY3BvcwM4BHBvcwM1BHB0A2hvbWVfY29rZQRzZWMDeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDaGF2ZXdlbWV0YmVm

OK, before you read the next article, even though it is about eating make sure you aren't eating at the time you are reading the article. This is a gag me with a spoon article. You can comment on it if you like.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100624/od_nm/us_france_cannibal

The questions of the day. Have I met your before? What is the weirdest thing you have eaten? I ate snake one time. Notice I said one time.

Hope this is great Friday for you.

WHO AM I?

Yesterday's answer was Clara Booth Luce

I was born in maybe New Orleans in 1801 and died there in 1881. I was the daughter of a white planter a free Creole woman of color. I married a free person of color. After my husband died I became a hairdresser to rich white folk. I took a lover and we lived in a common law marriage with a reportedly fifteen children, including my namesake daughter. Both that daughter and I practiced the same art although Pat might scoff at me calling it an art. My daughter and I had great influence over our multiracial following. In 1874 as many as twelve thousand spectators, both black and white, swarmed to the shores of Lake Pontchartrain to catch a glimpse of my daughter performing our legendary rites. Scholars believe I had more powerful powers than my daughter but she arranged more elaborate public events. Most of my magical career is unsubstantiated. I was said to have had a snake named Zombi after an African God. Oral traditions suggested that part of my magic mixed Roman Catholic beliefs, including saints, with African spirits and religious concepts. Some scholars believe that I feared magical powers of divination that were actually based on my network of informants which I developed while working as a hairdresser. Some assert that I ran my own brothel and cultivated informants in that way as well. I excelled at obtaining inside information on my wealthy patrons by instilling fear in their servants whom I either paid or "cured." I was reportedly buried in Saint Louis Cemetery #1 in New Orleans in the Glapion family crypt. The tomb continues to attract visitors who draw three "x"s (XXX) on its side, in the hopes that my spirit will grant them a wish. Some others state that I am buried in other tombs, but they may be confusing the resting places of other priestesses of New Orleans. Don't you dare call me a witch but you can answer the question, Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

About the first story-- very interesting. Not sure where I fall in that range. I seem to remember faces well, but names sure leave my mind quickly.

As to the second story, well, er, all I can say is YUCK!!

Lady DR said...

I'm with Pat on the first story. Better at faces than names. And often hopeful the other person will make some comment which will at least allow me to figure out *where* I know them from.

Yuck is right to the second story. Interesting he mentioned he thought it was the heart - there were (still are, I think)many cultures who believe if you eat your enemies heart as soon as you kill him, you gain his strength or some other power. Me, I think I'll pass.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I am fine when people are where they are supposed to be. Like where I normally see them. But the first couple of times I see them out of place, like at the grocery store instead of work, I'm lost.

The second story was yuck, but it was just to weird not to post on the blog.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I think people like you to struggle if you forget their name!

And you just taught me something I didn't know. Amazing information about the heart and different cultures.

Bill