Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Dangerous Jobs For Teens

I'm back on the home front. Sis and her husband are back from Utah so I just got back from Mom's. I really did have a nice day yesterday. Great lunch, lot of emails, lot of Facebook posts, and a lot of phone calls. We also had a nice dinner. Tonight Sis and Her husband are taking me to Rose's, tomorrow lunch with cousins. Thursday is a day of rest. I'm going to need it!

The following article kind of scared the heck out of me. There was a lot of bashing of Abby Sunderland's parents for letting her sail around the world. I almost think what the parents in the following article are letting their daughter do is worse.

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2010/06/22/samantha-young/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl4|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fjobs.aol.com%2Farticles%2F2010%2F06%2F22%2Fsamantha-young%2F

I was stunned by this statement in the article: "More youths ages 10 to 19 die from injuries than from all other causes combined"

Now on to one of my favorite subjects, texting while driving. It is those damn teenagers right? They are the ones that are texting the most. Not according to the following article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100618/ap_on_hi_te/us_tec_distracted_driving

What do you think about the above articles? What was the most dangerous job you had as a teenager? Believe it or not mine was weeding onions. I worked in the onion fields in Northern California. The working conditions were awful. The pay was a buck an hour. I had to quit when I got a third degree sunburn. Then I found a job as box boy (now called courtesy clerks) at a grocery store and what a relief that was.

WHO AM I?

Yesterday's answer: Laura Ingersoll Secord.

I am a keeper of a house and was credited with saving eighteen lives (some say twenty-five) in my time. I was once called the bravest woman in the world. I won the Gold Lifesaving Medal. I was born in Rhode Island in 1842 and died there in 1911. On the night of my death all the vessels that were anchored in my Harbor tolled their bells in my honor. My dad was the original keeper and Mom followed suit but after they both died within four months of each other I stepped up to the plate. My exploits were detailed in national newspapers such as Harper's Weekly, the New York Tribune, and Putnam's Magazine. I met President Ulysses S. Grant, Vice-President Schuyler Colfax, General William Tecumseh Sherman and Admiral George Dewey. I was married once but it was brief so I was childless. I am the only keeper to have a house named after me. I am also the subject of a folk song. Where we lived was completely surrounded by water which meant as the oldest of four children I rowed my siblings to school every day and returned with supplies that were needed. When I was officially appointed keeper of the house my salary was a light five hundred bucks a year. I was the best known keeper of my era, that was due to the rescues that I performed. One time I rescued four young men that couldn't swim after their boat capsized when one tried to rock the boat to scare his friends. I also rescued a sailor in the dead of winter. Then there was the time I saved three sheepherders and all their sheep as well. The boat turned over in storm. That rescue was the subject of a painting commissioned by the U.S. Coast guard. That rescue also lead to a parade in my honor and the gift of a Mahogany rowboat with red velvet cushions, gold braid around the gunwales, and gold plated oarlocks. The boat was named The Rescue. My reputation was such that the house was overloaded with sightseers trying to catch a glimpse of me. After the stories of my feats spread The President and The Vice President visited me. When President Grant landed he said as he steeped out of his boat "I have come to see the heroine of the house, and to see her I'd get wet up to my armpits if necessary." Who Am I?

2 comments:

Pat said...

Oh, good grief! Wrestling alligators?? Letting your kid get dropped off in bad neighborhoods to go door to door? I can't relate to some of these parents.

As to the texters-while-driving, they should be incarcerated regardless of age. I'd be happy if cell phones had to be locked up in cars, like guns. Grump, grump.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

This is one of those times when I completely agree with you!!!

Bill