Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Announcing A New Contest!

The answer to yesterday’s question is the amazing, lovable, and beautiful Audrey Hepburn. One of the hints in the blurb about Hepburn was about a movie, WAIT UNTIL DARK. For you younger ones if you haven’t seen that movie, go rent it for a night, put your kids to bed, pop some popcorn, snuggle up to your spouse on the couch, and don’t hold the popcorn on your lap because there is one scene in there that will cause you to jump and the popcorn will go flying. It is a movie without blood or bad language and despite that one of the most frightening movies that you will ever see.

I am announcing a new contest on The Dahn Report. It will start on August 1, 2009 at 7 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time and will end on August 5, 2009 at 7 AM Pacific Daylight Time. Anyone that has ever posted a comment on The Dahn Report since its inception or anyone that posts a comment on The Dahn Report between now and August 1, 2009 at 7 AM Pacific Daylight Time will be an eligible participant. Eligible participants will be allowed one entry and one entry only. Because this time only one entry is allowed the ante is upped. The winning entry will get to choose their $50 gift card from the following gift cards: Starbucks, Baja Fresh, Red Robin, Outback, Macy’s Nordstrom, Old Navy, and Home Depot. Second place will get to choose a $25 gift card from the aforementioned gift cards. The test will consist of thirty question among numerous subjects including BUT NOT LIMITED to trivia, who am I, where am I, what do these three things have in common, about items posted on The Dahn Report maybe even about things about me you have learned about me or other posters on The Dahn Report. Because the prize value has been upped the questions may very well be harder than they were on previous contests.

Today’s Who Am I? I was born in 1913 and died in 2000. I was born as Gretchen in Salt Lake City, Utah but at confirmation changed my name to Michaela. I did use the name Gretchen in my first film, but changed my name to an easier name to pronounce after a couple of films. After moving to California both of my sisters worked as child actresses. I won three Emmys, two Golden Globes, and one Oscar. The owner of my The Dahn Report did help prepare my tax return one year when he was working for a CPA firm in the Los Angeles area.

At times in my career I worked hard making sever or eight movies a year. Whitney Houston once starred in a remake of one of my movies. From 1953 to 1961 I starred in a television show that was titled with my name. My sweeping" trademark appearance at the beginning of each show was to appear dramatically in various high fashion evening gowns. She returned at the program's conclusion to restate to the viewer the moral of the story just seen. (My introductions and conclusions to my television shows, which were widely satirized at the time, are not rerun on television because I had it legally stipulated that they not be; because I didn't want to be seen in "outdated" wardrobe and hairstyles.)

I had an affair with the famous Clark during which I became pregnant. I hid the pregnancy at the time and had the baby in Europe. I said the child was adopted and she then took the last name of my second husband, Lewis. I also later had an affair with the actor that the owner of The Dahn Report’s father was often confused with. Spenser was well-known at the time and did several movies with the famous Kathryn.

I am the Godmother of Danny’s daughter, Marlo. After I retired from movies I dedicated my time to charity, often working together with my friend Jane Wyman, My daughter wrote a biography called UNCOMMON KNOWLEDGE, during which she states she didn’t know Clark was her real dad until 1958.

I died of ovarian cancer in Santa Monica, California in 2000. Who Am I?

May this be a winning day for all of you! Are you ready to have a contest that may include questions that you can’t Google?

14 comments:

Pat said...

Count me in. I'm a little nervous about the "Google won't work" part, but I'm still game. Onward, and damn the torpedoes!

Lady DR said...

A new contest. Goodie... I think. I'm with Pat, the idea of not being able to "Google" for a bit of assistance is scary, but what the h*ll. Let the games begin!

On another note, could I ask for prayers for some caregivers, who are not on the internet, don't use computers as we do? The first is our neighbor, Tom, and his son, Craig, who are facing some very difficult decisions as to whether 87 year old Tom can continue to care for his wife at home. Tough for Tom. Tough for Craig, who will have to determine whether Tom can continue to live at home if his wife is in a nursing home or assisted living facility. The second is for a client that I've known had macular degenertion (but keeps on writing with magnifying tools). Franz is 91 and I just learned he's caring for his wife, who has Alzheimers, at their home and handling all the domestic responsibilities, as well as her health. To the best of my knowledge he has no help and I know Tom has none, if his wife comes home.

Ya know, every time you think you've got "issues" or "burdens" in your life, you meet someone who makes your own stuff look like a walk in the park.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

You will be able to Google a good share of the questions in the contest just not all of them!

I *may* give an example of a question you can't Google tomorrow.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Franz, Tom, & Craig have all my prayers, good thoughts, vibes, and I am pretty sure all the regulars here send theirs too!

Bill

Pat said...

Dr, your friends have all the good wishes and vibes that I can muster. You're sure right that your own "burdens" pale in the shadow of some other people's.

dona said...

Yippee, for another contest, I can hardly wait. What's this about Google?

Dr, your friends have all my good thoughts/vibes and Prayers. You are so right in saying that when you least expect it you will meet up with someone who is or knows someone who is having what seems like more than you could ever handle. Makes what you are going through seem like a piece of cake. That's why I especially, count my blessings every nite. And thank the Lord for what I do and have had.

Lady DR said...

Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts for Tom, Criag and Franz. Dona, you're right -- one of the first things I do each morning is go through my blessings and "gratitudes" and find I have more than I can count most days.

Bill's blog and all of you here are high on the list, as are my Sacred Circles, all email friends of several years, only some of whom I've ever met face to face. The support has maintained my sanity and patience and understanding more times than I can count, in various situations and circumstances.

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Hope things are well with you and yours.

A lot of the people here use Google to search my questions and even though I think the questions are hard they get the answer in minutes. So I am going to try to think up some questions that they can't find the answer to with the google search engine!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dr

I sm always in awe of how much support when can get from people, Dona, that we have never met.

With all of you here, I never really feel alone.

Bill

SymplyAmused said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
William J. said...

Hi There Symply

Hope you and yours are doing well. I just finished the newest Janet Evonovich novel. Not bad.

And while Hedy is a favorite of mine she isn't the correct answer.
Search the author of her daughter's biography and you could possibly solve the mystery!

Bill

SymplyAmused said...

Ooops, I meant to put Loretta Young. I was reading about Hedy earlier and put the wrong name...haha.

SymplyAmused said...

Oh she was otherwise known as Gretchen Young which was her real name...

William J. said...

Hi Symply

I can't reveal the correct answer until tomorrow, we will see if you are correct in tomorrow's post!

Bill