Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I'm A Slacker

Here I was working on a work project yesterday and got to thinking I really didn't want to work so I tubed the work project and took off for the Oregon Coast for a day trip. I had a really nice time. Nice drive, nice scenery, great lunch - hot turkey sandwich, nice read, and I didn't flip one driver the bird! I actually gave some thought about driving to LA to attend a comedy event but just didn't think I was quite ready for that long of a trip, especially since it is so hot up and down the West Coast. I really am getting better and I do think had I known about the event just a few days earlier I would have gone!Then I could have planned for a head set for my cell phone (California bans the us of cell phones while driving) and gotten a haircut, etc. It is amazing how much I have improved mentally in just such a short time, things that used to intimidate me now kind of excite me.

Yesterday was the 40TH anniversary of man's first landing on the moon. My who we are questions were in honor of that date and were the men that were in the spacecraft that historic day. In order the answer to the Who Are We's were Michael Collins, the man who stayed in the spacecraft, Edward Aldrin, the second man to walk on the moon, and Neil Armstrong the first man on the moon.

Today we are going to try a stumper. Not a trivia a stumper you tell me the object I am describing:

This is the specification for the most incredible, sophisticated planning and communications tool yet invented: It's portable - so light don't even notice it your pocket or brief case. Its life is more than one-hundred times greater than the current best re-chargeable power-packs. It is extremely durable - if dropped from 50 feet onto concrete it'll be good as new within a minute or two at the longest. It's so intuitive that anyone can use it immediately without training. You can use it on a plane - even during take off. It uses a remarkable data input method as fast as an experienced qwerty keyboard operator, and yet requires no keyboard skills. It handles graphics as easily as text and can even handle 3-D modeling and complicated calculations. It is compatible with any paper output, even a bus-ticket or a table napkin, and is universally adaptable to any reader format. It is completely wireless, already available all over the world, thanks to a distribution network greater than Microsoft's, and comes in hundreds of model variants to suit all styles and egos - you can even get gold-plated ones. It costs a fraction of a penny per day over its lifetime, and if you lose it, its inherent unbreakable security will leave no trace of confidential files or personal history. Replacements are no problem because you can afford to keep a couple spare with you all the time. What object am I?

OK, now that I am behind in work I must get my arse back to work!!

Have you ever been a slacker?

6 comments:

Pat said...

Have I ever been a slacker? Ha!! I am the Queen of Slackers. When I was working, I was most of the time beyond reproach. Got everything done before slacking off. Since I've been retired, I'm pretty good on the Mom front, but almost everything else is on the back burner and likely to stay there for the foreseeable future. I'm not happy with myself about this, but plans to change seem to be put off until a tomorrow that never comes.

Mary said...

I live for slacking! Just wish I got to engage in it more often.

Lady DR said...

Good job on dumping the work for a day trip to the coast. That's what this break is all about -- doing for YOU. Like you, a trip to LA would be something I'd want a couple days to plan for, but I'm delighted you considered it and suspect you would have gone, had you been known further ahead.

Slacker -- when when it's possible I can procrastinate with the best of them and find more pleasurable things to do than work anytime. If I'm not under a client deadline, I can ignore a lot of stuff on the written and mental to-do lists, in favor of a good book, craft project, flea market visit, whatever. I think sometimes that's healthy. Then again, sometimes it bites me in the behind (wry s).

William J. said...

Hi Pat

During tax I don't slack but the rest of the year it takes a lot of energy to get me to get my ass in gear to work.

I plan off putting off my procrastination too!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Mary

You are not allowed to slack until
April 15th.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I do know there is a day will I will wake up and take off on a long trip. That day I will know I am completely healed.

I think all of us caregivers are so stressed the idea of doing additional work is an idea that we think is best avoided! Except when we have to, then we get our butts in gear!!

Bill