Sunday, July 5, 2009

A New Contest & A Nice Fourth.

The answers to yesterday's questions:

Who proposed the resolution of independence on July 2, 1776? Richard Henry Lee of Virginia.

What date did most of the patriots sign the Declaration of Independence? Hint, it wasn't July 4, 1776? Most signed the Declaration of Independdence on August 2, 1776. There was so much confusion about the signing date and so much misreporting about the signing date that John Adams went to his grave sure it was signed on July 4, 1776

Name the three former presidents that died on July 4? John Adams and Thomas Jefferson both died on 7/4/1826; James Monroe died on 7/4/1831 and thanks to Pat's outstanding research Calvin Coolidge was born on 7/4/1872.

What state become the first state to celebrate July 4 as a state celebration? Massachusetts.

Where is the Declaration Of Independence stored, how many people visit it every day (within a 1000) and what happens to it at night? It is visited by 6,000 people per day at the National Archives in Washington, D.C. and at the end of each day it is lowered 22 feet into a vault.

Today a little more presidential trivia:

I was born September 15, 1857 and died March 8, 1930. I graduated from Yale and Cincinnati School of Law. I only served one term as head honcho of The United States. I founded The League to Enforce Peace. I met my future wife when I was 18. The Yale Debate Society, Skull and Bones, was co-founded by my father. In 1900, President William McKinley appointed me as the chairman of a commission to organize a civilian government in the Philippines. From 1901 to 1903, I served as the first civilian Governor-General of the Philippines. When President I appointed six judges to the US Supreme Court ranking third behind George Washinton (who appointed the entire court) and FDR. I am the first president to be buried in a place where a cousin of the owner of The Dahn Report is buried. Triple the weight of the smallest president and you would will come up with a number that wouldn't reach what I weighed as president but would exceed what I weighed after I left office. After my stint as president some people might have said I did a lot of judging. Who Am I?

OK, everyone be watching for an annoucnement of another contest here on The Dahn Report. It will be twenty-five to thirty questions from three things in common, trivia, Who am I?, Where Am I, and a myriad of other subjects. Anyone that has posted on The Dahn Report since inception will be able to participate. Also anyone that posts on The Dahn report from the time the contest is annoucned to the time the contest starts can play. Unlike the last contests, on this one you will only be allowed one entry.

How was everyone's Fourth of July? Everything was great here, everyone I snow still has all their fingers and hands afte the holiday. I didn't hear any reports of anyone's house buring down. We had a really had a nice time. I fixed a dynamite low-fat bbq lunch. We played some Scrabble and watched a tiny parade. I always enjoy being a host. It kind of goes against my shyness but when I am on my home court I can fake it!

Hope you are enjoying today!

6 comments:

Pat said...

Thanks for the nod to my Googling. {s}

I had a very quiet Fourth, just grateful that my neighbors didn't have a loud party. I visited mom, came home to leftovers and watched a movie on cable. Not very patriotic, I suppose, but pleasant enough.

I did hear a few small explosions in the neighborhood and a half-hour of Big Booms from the city's fireworks, but that still qualifies as "quiet".

Looking forward to the new contest.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I was definitely impressed with your Googling!

I'm at the stage in my life where if now house burns down in the neighborhoold it is a quiet fourth!

This year a couple of weeks ago the Sherwood Police Department announced that they were going to increase patrols the week of the fourth and they would be looking specifically for illegal fireworks. That seemed to have calmed the city down this year.

Bill

Lady DR said...

A very nice 4th, thank you very much. I spent the day finishing a small editorial project and finishing Mom's shawl (her going away/housewarming gift). We picked Mom up at six, loaded the transport chair and headed to Greer, a small town about half an hour or so from here. This was their first 4th Festival, held in their new city park, and they did very well for a first time. Park is beautiful -- lots of paved walking paths, a reflection pond, a really big pool with numerous fountains, programmed to change patterns periodically, an open air amphitheater. Food vendors offered everything from brats to bbq to chicken and we enjoyed supper, then settled into the amphitheater.

The only "downer" was the "band" - two hours of electric noise, which could never qualify as music, at a decible level approaching jet take off. Obiously they embraced the theory of "if you can't play good, play loud." There were numerous negative comments, so I suspect they may choose a different type band next year.

They did a "canned" patriotic tribute, which was very good. The fireworks disiplay was spectacular, one of the best I've seen in years, and was accompanied by patriotic marches and music, ending with "Proud to be an American." One almost forgave them the band (g).

Best is that Mom had a fabulous time. We took the wheelchair, instead of even attempting the walker, and Himself took charge of the pushing detail, while I just tagged along and Mother rode in comfort, with no pain. She loved every minute of it. Since she's getting more and more hard of hearing she thought the band was "too loud, but bearable" and she loved the people watching and is like a little kid, when it comes to fireworks. It was great to see her enjoying herself and having a "good" evening, after several marginal to bad days last week. If she has something to look forward to, someplace "fun" to go to, her health improves considerably, particularly if it occurs after 4:00 in the afternoon. I pretty much think if we could rearrange the world so that the "day" started at 4:00 pm and ran until 2:00 am, she'd be quite healthy and do quite well. (And, yes, I'm quite serious about that.)

Hope to see more reports of happy Fourths, be they quiet or otherwise. Pat, we've followed your pattern somewhat the last couple years and enjoyed it. Bill, a party at home is my idea of one of the best ways to celebrate and I'm delighted to hear you enjoy entertaining. You know, if I weren't already so happily married...

William J. said...

Hi DR

I'm glad you had a nice fourth and Himself gets big kudos for managing the wheelchair for your Mom!

I don't much like loud music either. One DollarTree here had the music so loud the next to last time I went there, that I went to the manager and said I won't be back as long as you have that music loud enough to hear in China. The next time I went in there the music was at a very mild level.

Your Mom is going to love the shaal! You are just one talented lady.

The brats would have gotten me!

I'm so glad your Mom had a great time. I really enjoy it when Mom has a good time. Your mom will remmeber this holiday for a long time!

My mom's health also improves if she has something to look forward to! Her blood pressure goes down.

I don't know about the starting the day at 4 thing because I am a very early riser. Pat might like it though!

How come it is only the married women that see my charms!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Himself has always loved Mom (he lost his mom a year before we married) and been a real "son" to her in many ways. Mom opted for the barbecue, but Himself and I had the brats -- that has to be a heart attack on a bun!

Himself is an early riser. I'd be happy if the day started somewhere between 10:00 am and noon. Until I was married, I always did most of my work and play and sewing and such between 8:00 pm and midnight, so I can sort of empathize with Mom. Having to be somewhere before 11:00 am or noon is a challenge to mewhich is why we always left for fishing expeditions the evening before and why, if we're going to a hamfest, I prefer to take the RV, arrive the evening before and let Himself go off at 7:00 am, rather than leaving before the sun is up! I just don't do early mornings well -- maybe it's genetic (g).

The reason married women are the ones who "want you" is because most of them have had opportunity to see the "plus and minus" side of relationshps? Not everyoen has been as fortunate as myself and others here.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I think it is neat that Himself and your mom get along so well! Brats probably weren't the healthiest thing to eat but once in a while won't cause any harm and probably just as good for as bbq chicken with the bbq sauce would have been!

I'm usually in bed by 9 pm so working until midnight isn't going to work for me!

Bill