Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Where I Am At On The Emotional Chart

The answer to yesterday's questions: Jon Bon Jovi was in PAY IT FORWARD. Ernest Hemmingway drove an ambulance for the Italian Army in WWI. Adolt Hitler was Time Magazine's Man Of The Year in 1939. Seth was Adam and Eve's third son. The Century 21 World's Fair Was in Seattle, Washington. Today it is U.S. Presidential Trivia and is at the end of today's blog entry.

This is the third day since Mom took off for Utah to be with sis and her husband. Really only the second day I've been alone. This is the first time since 2001 that I haven't had any responsbility for an elderly parent. I'd be lying if I didn't say it is an adjustment. Where I am at on the emotional chart is that I really like not having the responsiblity of an elderly parent but I'm having a very hard time not feeling lost. I still have responbilities like work assignments, my house, etc. just not the responsbility for someone else. The loss feeling seems to get less by the hour so I am sure it will disappear in a couple of more days. Then I can kick up my heels! Tonight I am going to the Farm Team Comedy Class. If I don't fail miserably I will write about it on tomorrow's blog.

Today I stuck pretty close to home. I worked on the contest starting August 1, 2009 at 7 AM Pacific Daylight Time and ending at 7 AM Pacific Daylight Time on August 5, 2009. A contest where anyone that has ever posted a comment on The Dahn Report or posts a comment on my blog between now and the time the contest starts can enter. The winner will win a $50 dollar gift card and the 2nd place entry will win a $25 gift card. They can choose their prize from the following gift cards: Starbucks, Baja Fresh, Red Robin, Outback, Macy’s Nordstrom, Old Navy, and Home Depot. Right now I am 18 questions, researched and finalized, and tested. Be aware there will be at least five questions that you can't Google.

I also did my walk. Did some reading. Some housecleaning. Some thinking. Some Healing. All in all a good day!

On to the trivia.

What president became a U.S. Senator after he left office?

What president returned to the House of Representatives after he became president?

Who was the first president to shake hands instead of bow to people?

Who was the first president born a US Citizen?

Name the president that boxer Jack Dempsey was named after?

This president was arrested while in office for running over an old woman with his horse, but his case was dropped due to insufficient evidence?

Who was the only president never to marry?

Who was the first president to use a telephone in office?

Who was the first president to hold a press conference?

What president married his fifth cousin once removed and was a seventh cousin once removed of Winston Churchill?

Hope you are having a day where you don't feel lost and that every one is treating you in a presidential way!

6 comments:

Pat said...

LOL! Nobody has treated me in a presidential way today or any other day. How about yourself?

I'm sorry you're having to work at not feeling lost. It makes me wonder just how I'd feel if I were relieved of responsibility. I guess I really have no idea, though it sounds awfully good on the face of it.

I'm glad you're going to the Comedy Class, and very much look forward to hearing about it.

Lady DR said...

I hear you on the combination of relief and lost ... felt that way when Mom was in AZ for almost three months, although I was dealing with medical questiosns, issues and referrals throughtout, so I wasn't out of the loop, so to speak (wry s). Guess I'll know better after the next couple weeks or so.

Sounds like you had an enjoyable and varied day and glad you're headed to Comedy Class tonight.

Gonna pass on today's trivia, as the brain is fried. In addition to the move, am now fighting with "city hall" in terms of having no mgt or maintenance presence at the apt for over three weeks, no confirmation of her vacate notice, no info on inspections or return of deposit. Been a flurry of web/net investigations, calls to Boston (where head mgt apparently is, but they won't talk to anyone), emails, since local number tells you the voice mail box is full, call later in future. The Boston resident complaint number tells you to leave a message and they'll get back in two to three days. I left a very testy message, saying I expected a response in 24 hours or less, and received a message on my voice mail about six hours later. Also found a site that allows you to reate/review the facility. My review was honest, not stellar. "Someone" is to be on site tomorrow to deal wtih Mom's move, but they gave no time and tomorrow is when the residents are taking Mom and I out to lunch. I shared my discoveries and emails with Tim and Joe, who both are steamed and have computers, so we'll see what happens. Then home to deal with the agency of the guy who clobbered us Monday AM and they don't answer theif phones, so called my agent, who called the main office and I at least have a claim numnbr and name and contact number (I already have the estimates on repairs as of this afternoon.) Funny, none of this stuff was on my calendar or to-do list (koff). Two weeks from today, they load the van and we've not started on the kitchen or linens yet... if I get testy, please just bear with me, okay? I'm trying to be cool, but crusades tned to make me cranky.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Well shoot you deserve to be treated presidentially. Me? Nope not lately.

I have a hunch when one morning that you wake up and don't have to visit your Mom you will feel very lost!

The class was good but didn't get home until way late so no trivia today and an entry probably late this aftertoon.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dr

That is awful that the owners of the Apartment house doesn't have and hasn't had anyone on site for a while. With all the unemployment you think they could find someone easily.

When they called back did they address any issues or than saying someone would be on site today?

Hope the lunch goes well.

I think the people that clobbered you are obviously trying to avoid you. Which may not be a bad thing, sometimes in car accidents injuries don't show up for a while. Make sure are OK.

If you get testy this is the place to do it!

Bill

Lady DR said...

The message on my cell said only someone would be there today. I was sitting in the lobby at 9:00, waiting for the office to open. The part time temp couldn't find a vacate notice anywhere, including in Mom's file. Fortunately, I had dated copy with me. Now, we just have to work out the inspection date. I did mention one of the gentlemen on the wing had been promised the first available 2 bdrm/handicap apt and had talked with previous manager and been assurred he'd get it, but they're so disorganized, who knows?

Call from the supposed ins co, saying they'd cancelled the guys policy several months ago, but he was now insured with someone else and gave us a phone number. I just called Pat (my agent) and turned it over to her. Now have new insurance company, new claim number, name and phone of adjuster, who's to contact me by next Friday. I have to tell you, I had a few bad moments, when I thought the guy had no insurance at all. Have been prewarned his current ins co works on the cheap and I may have a challenge on my hands.

Lunch was short, nothing to write home about. Back to the apt and Mom went to bed almost immediately. Did what I could, was home in time to get in a couple hours of editorial, which is about the best I can say for the day (wry s)

William J. said...

Hi Dr

It doesn't suprise me they lost your file. At least you let them know about the promise to the man what happens now is out of your hands, you did more than most!

What a pain in the rear the car accident has become.

In Oregon we are required to carry insurance that covers of is the other driver doesn't have insurance. Remember I got hit by an uninsured, unlicensed driver about a year ago. Didn't cost me a penny due to the requirement on my policy.

As much as you do every day I'd be asleep by dinner!!

Bill