Friday, July 24, 2009

Friday! Update Day!

I read somewhere that men shouldn't use exclamation points because they are to femine. As you see in the title of today's post I didn't really pay much attention to the article.

I don’t really have any updates that I haven’t written about on a daily basis so just an update on a trial mentioned in a previous blog post. The some fun stuff for the questions of the day. But first I wanted to mention from their respective blogs that Dona is out of commission. She has a painful shoulder that she took even more painful shots for. Send her some good thoughts, prayers, vibes please. Snug is fighting credit card companies. Mary Z is on the beach watching storms come in. Connie is near Mt. Rushmore anxiously waiting the next trivia contest. They all are missed.

Today I am thinking about taking in one of two movies and then tomorrow see the other movie. I’m not sure I will get to both of them but I am going to make the effort. Today I will probably see The Ugly Truth. Tomorrow 500 Days of Summer. The later is only playing at one theater and it is downtown Portland. Fridays in downtown Portland are usually pretty busy so I’m thinking Saturday would be a better day to make that jaunt. If I go to either I will post reviews about them.

Sometime back I mentioned on a blog post about two parents that were on trial because they didn’t take their daughter to the doctor when she was ill because of their religious beliefs. Their daughter died. The D.A. charged them with manslaughter and child endangerment. Here is a link to that post:

http://thedahnreport.blogspot.com/2009/07/right-to-believe-right-to-parent-tates.html

The verdict came in late last night. The wife was acquitted on all charges. The husband was acquitted on all charges but one misdemeanor, which could lead to a year in jail for him. The jury was obviously conflicted taking almost five days to deliberate with at one point them telling the judge they were hopelessly deadlocked. At the point the jury told the judge they were deadlocked he sent them home and told them to come back and try again. They did and according to news reports at oregonlive.com the reason they acquitted the Worthingtons was they did think they intended to cause the child harm. You can read the news article of the acquittal here:

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2009/07/worthington_jury_has_reached_a.html

While I agree with most of the verdict it does bug me a bit that only the husband was found guilty of a crime. Weren't the husband and wife equally responsible for the decision to not take their daughter to the doctor?

Here is today's funstuff:

Is it legal in California for a man in California to marry his widow’s sister?

Some months have thirty days, how many have 28?

If there are three apples and you take away two, how many do you have?

How may animals of each sex did Moses take on the ark?

A farmer has seventeen sheep and all but nine die. How many sheep does the farmer have left?

Good luck on the above questions. What do you think of the verdict in the Faith Healing trial? Plus it is time to update me on your life. Tell me everything and anything. Post whatever you damn well please. If you are new post a comment introducing yourself and you can participate in the trivia contest starting August 1
and maybe win a $50 or $25 gift card! The Blog is now yours!

10 comments:

Mary Z said...

Unfortunately, we've been back from the beach for two weeks. I'm just lazy and not writing. Plus, nothing's going on around here - summer doldrums.

Pat said...

Nothing much is going on here, either. My mom and I both have CDs maturing, and I'm very frustrated at not being able to find decent interest rates on savings.

So sorry about Dona's shoulder. I had one of those shots once, and thought it was great at first because he included novocaine in it. When that wore off, it was AWFUL. Sending lots of good thoughts and healing vibes.

Snug, the credit card companies are behaving like thieves, from everything I hear. I wish you victory in your fight(s) with them.

Mom continues stable physically. Last night, she was going on something about a gun. When the chef went outside, she said, "If you go out, he'll shoot you." She didn't seem terribly worried about it, just imparting information. I suppose she had heard something on TV that stuck in her mind. The chef, btw, is a totally lovely guy who really cares about the residents.

I haven't read anything about the jurors' thinking on that case. I do tend to agree with them that the parents didn't intend to harm the child. No idea why the husband was convicted on one misdemeanor and the wife wasn't. I'd say they are equally culpable, but I'm not familiar with the fine points of the case. Offhand, I think they should both be convicted of terminal stupidity. Is there a charge of negligent homicide because of delusion?

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

Welcome back, I should have read the dates on your blog posts, I just thought they were recent!

We are going to have the summer doldrums the next few days. Temps in order from tomorrow through next Wednesday

95
98
104
102
100

Ugh

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I just got my mutual fund statement and for the year it is up 17%, so now I am only down 20% since last September.

I'm glad your mom is physically stable but the mental confusion has to be so hard to deal with. It always brings back memories of dad.
You really are to be commended for all you do for your mom.

In the Worthington case he was convicted of misdemeanor child endangerment. Maybe she wasn't because in the religion they practice man is king.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Okay, this message comes in two parts - the whine, then a second message on the upside, since the message is too long for the program to accept, according to the message.

I agree with Pat - the verdict should have terminal stupidity applied to both. I sincerely hope they have no other children.

Pat, I'm sorry about all the frustration you're going through with the CDs and all. Dona, hope the shoulder clears up soonest and that the pain from the injection is really short term. Sung, sounds like we're both doing battle, although I supsect yours is requiring more time and weapons than mine.

Happening place around here and I'm tired. This is going to be a whine, so skip if you wish. I'm tired of packing boxes every darned day and if I don't ever pack another one after Tuesday, it'll be fine with me. I may mail gift cards in envelopes for Christmas. Tired of the clutter at Mom's house (and I'm not even living with it 24/7) and of the clutter up here, resulting in stuff moving her place to ours. Tired of fighting with insurance companies over the accident - we're now on the third company and I *Think he actually has coverage with this one (they did send out an appraiser), but they now want pages of paperwork filled out, before they process the claim. They are going to have to wait a day or two. (End of whine)

Lady DR said...

On the up side, I did get to the pool on lunch hours and to line dance. A gal who'd been in my aquatics class showed up at the pool Tuesday. J came to me initially after she'd been beaten up by a student (she was vice-principal at the school) and been told to do water therapy, about three or four years ago. The poor woman was terrified of the water, wouldn't let go of the side of the pool and spent the class shivering and shaking, part physical from cold, part fear, part the mental and emotional trauma. She stuck it out until the pool closed for renovations, except when she missed due to surgeries and such. She's just started back. Tuesday, I coaxed her out of the lap pool and into the PT pool (which is 6" deeper) and actually got her to walk across the pool without holding the side. She was So Proud of Herself and so was I. Then she mentioned line dance and I told her about SA and my class and she came Wednesday and, despite the fact she hadn't danced in over a year and had only had beginners with me at FUlir, she held her own and the instructor told her to stay in the class and maybe attend some of the beginner classes to brush. Once again, it was such fun to see her pleasingly surprised at what she could do, what she remembered.

Remember me telling you about my crusade against the apartment mgt and talking to a couple of the guys and telling them they needed to go to the media? Something hit Joe's hot button and he remembered my comments and went to Channel 4 on Tuesday and they came out and did a lengthy interview session with those Joe could round up on short notice and it was a feature on the news that evening. They also promised to follow up on the story. Joe is so proud of having "trumped" my emails and review and the film clip and so is Tim, who helped him. The news mentioned the mgt company and things have started happening. Including the fact Joe's been officially advised he gets Mom's apartment, which was one of the things I was working on accomplishing. They tried to find me at Mom's (I was at the pool) and it's probably just as well they didn't (g). They discovered that despite wheelchairs and walkers and being eighty years old, they could do something. Of course, I had to hear all the deatils and issues and such from the guys the last couple days and it was so neat to see them bragging about what they'd done and what was starting to happen. They did ask that I stay involved after Mom leaves and they have my email and phone numbers. Don't know that I can offer anything but encouragement and incitement to riot, but I really can't just walk away from the people I've come to know during Mom's time there.

And all of that is why I'm tired. I came home so Mom could nap, then we're picking her up to go out for dinner. She needs time away from the apartment and the mess. May move her up here tomorrow night, rather than Sunday, and go down Sunday and finish the last of the packing and see if I can get the refrig and oven and cupboards cleaned, get a head start on all that, hoping to do inspection Thursday afternoon, so Joe can get moved in asap. Legally, I think they're supposed to paint and do some other stuff first, but I think he waived that, in the interest of getting moved in.Which means I need to do some extra cleaning of marks on walls and such, because I want it as nice as possible when he does.

William J. said...

Hi Dr

I may have to send you to blog jail for violating The Dahn Report rule that we don't use the word whine here. We call is discussing.

Okay, this message comes in two parts - the whine, then a second message on the upside, since the message is too long for the program to accept, according to the message.

The wife in the faith healing case is actually pregnant believe or not. She is due in three months.
In addition their parents go on trial in January because they didn't seek medical help for their sixteen year-old boy.

Shoot so I suppose asking you help me pack is out of the question? And I would be fit to be tied with the problems the accident has caused you with insurance companies.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I'm glad you go to the line dancing and the pool!

What a sad story of the v-p that was beat up by the student. I'm glad she has started back to swimming. And what an impact you had on her!!

Wow I you really got things rolling! I doubt very much that Joe wouldn't have went to the news without your encouragement. You gave them confidence that they can stand up for themselves and get things done! Of course they want you involved after your mom leaves, you are the role model and mentor.

Have a great dinner! Then relax!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Ah, geez, they have another child, a teen, and one on the way? This is not good news, as I suspect they learned nothing from this recent experience.

Help you pack? Compared to doing Mom's house, it would likely be a cakewalk, but I come Very Expensive after this experience.

The VP is an absolute inspiration. I cannot imagine how I would have reacted to such a situation and she has more fortitude than I can imagine ever having. I've dealt with Mom's fear of water, when the docs and I wanted her to give it a try and I was with her ever minute. J was totally on her own and had never met me. She is really something else.

Joe was funny today, when he came down to visit. Said his favorite threat had always been "I'll go to the media," but he'd never seriously considered it, until I said it was the only way to make things happen. Even if it takes time for things to happen (and I'm pretty sure there will be some improvements), the fact they stood up for themselves and Joe led the charge has made a big difference in attitude.

Dinner was nice and I think Mom needed to get away from the mess and all for an hour or so. She and Himself discussed baseball throughout, something I just don't get into, so she was a happy camper when we took her home.

William J. said...

Hi Dr

I hope they learned by the experience. It did say in the paper that it had to be costly for them and the church to defend the charges which could be a detriment to them doing the same thing in the future.

LOL to what Joe said.

I love baseball so I would have fit right in but I would have probably ignored the baseball and talked to you.

Bill