Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I'm Hot

This is truly one time when I can say that I am hot and actually be telling the truth. The all time record for high temperatures in the Portland area is 107. It was 106 yesterday. Today it is predicted to either tie the all time high or break it. Yesterday the lowest the temperature got was 74. That tied the all time record for the highest low temperature of any day in the history of Portland. Today the highest is predicted to be 107, the lowest 75. Tomorrow 102/75. Friday 98/72. In the paper next to each day's temperature is the notation "very hot." No kidding. Saturday it is 92/67 and the notation changed to "hot." This is the longest stretch in the history of our city that we have had over four consecutive days with temperatures in the triple digits. I'm going to suggest that if anyone of you have close relatives or friends in the Portland area that you call and check up on them. Different people react to high temperatures in different ways. I just think it would be nice to make sure they are handling the heat.

The heat has kind of fried my brain so there won't be a long post today. Just a short one. Depending on how I feel tomorrow, there may be a post titled "Justifiable Homicide." Family dynamics and all.

The answers to yesterday's word scamble:

DESPERATION - A Rope ends it.
THE EYES - They see.
GEORGE BUSH - He Bugs Gore.
THE MORSE CODE- Here come dots.
SLOT MACHINES - Cash lost in me.

Today just one question. On most streets every so often you will see blue reflectors on the road. They will either be near the center lane or like in Oregon all the way to the side of the street. What do these blue reflectors indicate?

Stay cool! Any suggestions on how to handle the heat?

THREE MORE DAYS TO POST A COMMENT ON THE DAHN REPORT SO YOU CAN PARTICIPATE IN THE CONTEST STARTING 7 AM PACIFIC DAYLIGHT TIME AUGUST 1, 2009 AND MAYBE WIN A $50 GIFT CARD!

10 comments:

Pat said...

Great anagrams from yesterday! I'm terrible at those, unless I have Scrabble tiles to move around, and not great even with them. Will I need a set for the Big Contest?

It's odd that you're so hot up there in Portland and down here in the L.A. area, we are at a balmy mid-90s. And I thought I was hot!

Looking forward to "Justifiable Homicide" tomorrow. Family dynamics can inspire that, for sure.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Right now I'd settlle for the mid nineties.

Anagrams won't be on the big contest because there is a risk that you could unscramble more than one word out the puzzle and I want definite answers on the contest. And I am also terrible at them.

Family dynamics and having everything you say corrected!

Lady DR said...

Good luck with surviving the heat wave and with the family dynamics. I gather Sis is still there and you're dealing with aftermath of the Utah trip? Sure hope you can keep your cool through both issues.

William J. said...

Hi Dr

Sis left this morning and I'm dealing with the aftermath how all the bad things that happened in Utah were my fault even though I was 800 mile away.

Bill

Kim said...

I wish we had some of that heat. I live in Illinois and we are having a record cool summer. Not too much fun to swim and do water parks when it is in the high 70's, low 80's. I like it HOT HOT HOT!!!

William J. said...

KIM!!!

Good to see you!

I like it hot too just not this hot. It is hot that you can get sunburned walking fifty feet!

Hope the weather gets better in Illinois!

Bill

Pat said...

Bill, you were responsible for bad things in Utah from 800 miles away? Wow! I'm SO impressed! I had no idea you had such power.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Considering I only called twice I do have amazing powers!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Like Pat, I'm amazed at your long distance powers, although it explains why (given you've been my mentor) I've had similar experiences. (My/Your fault she runs out of medication, can't sleep, doesn't eat right out there, is tired, etc). It's like no one's heard any of the glitches involved with the elderly ever mentioned at this end, right?

William J. said...

Hi Dr

It is also like you don't know what you are doing.

Bill