Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Second Day

The answer to yesterday’s question was Portland almost Boston, Oregon. Today’s trivia is at the end of this blog entry.

The second day I was a little lonely but I adjusted. Started out the morning with breakfast and reading The Oregonian. Then did my walk. Stopped and did some grocery shopping. I really didn’t need any groceries but I wanted to talk to the checker that is always so nice to my mom and get an inkling what kind of things she likes. She treats Mom like a queen and is always giving Mom and I free things, I just wanted to return the favor with a surprise little gift. Looks like some green ear rings are in her future. Then I went and got my car washed. After the car wash I came home for lunch and some serious reading. Read about twenty chapters of the latest Catherine ICoulter novel, KNOCKOUT. Not a bad book, just weird. I also did a little housecleaning, some weeding, and some shoe shopping. Then the biggie. I went to a private showing of 2010 models at a local Ford dealership. It was by invitation only. They served food. I don’t really need a new car but I didn’t really want to cook dinner so it seemed like a match made in heaven. Plus anyone there could enter a drawing with the prize being a new 2010 Ford Taurus. I find out September 15 who won the car. I can only hope.

Less then a hundred people were there. They had one 2010 model of each car. They were all impressive. As much as I was impressed by the Fusion Hybrid I was even more impressed by the 2010 Taurus LTD. The feature I liked the most was the BLS System with Cross Traffic Alert. BLS means Blind Spot Information System. It warns drivers of vehicles approaching their blind spot by illuminating an indicator located in the exterior mirrors. BLS functions while driving and also alerts drivers of another vehicle entering the blind zone. Cross Traffic alert operates while the car is in reverse and warns the driver of approaching vehicles when backing out of a parking spot. The other feature that interested me was The Collision Warning With Brake Support. It is an active safety feature that utilizes radar technology to monitor traffic ahead and alerts the driver with a visual “heads-up” display on the windshield and audible warning tone which also mutes the audio system. When a slower vehicle is detected, Brake support goes into a three phase response to help the driver stop quickly. There are ton of other features that were enchanting,like the automatically adjustable seats, but the BLS and TCWWBS systems were my favorite.

OK, now that I have described the car that I am going to win on September 15, 2009, let’s play trivia.

What Rock Star Heartthrob played Ricky Mckinney in the movie Pay it Forward?

What Nobel Prize winning author served as an ambulance driver for the Italian Army during World War I?

Who was Time Magazine’s Man of The Year in 1939?

Who was Adam & Eve’s Third Son?

Where was the 1962 World’s Fair, also known as Century 21 held?

What do you think of the new car features? Hope you had a great day today filled with love, happiness, reading, and free food!

8 comments:

cd0103 said...

You are so nice thinking about that grocery clerk. She will really appreciate that.

William J. said...

Hi Connie

She is just about the nicest lady, she reminds me a lot of Pat that posts here.

Bill

Pat said...

Boy, have you got me wrong! [g]
But I agree with Connie, it's very sweet of you, and I know she'll be delighted.

The new car features sound a bit to me like stuff for people who are really bad drivers. I don't think I want my car thinking for me. OTOH, since I can never see past taller vehicles to back out of a parking space, that cross traffic feature might be nice.

All in all, it sounds like a nice day you had there.

William J. said...

Hi

Pat you can't fool me, I got you right!!

I like the features because I think more of it as they protect you from bad drivers than I do for bad drivers and I would rather be protected from bad drivers than bad women.

Bill

dona said...

Wow what a nice thing to do for grocery checkout lady! I am sure she will love them.

And funny about the car as My dad owns a Ford Taurus and has owned one for the last 4 cars he has owned. He even goes to things such as that when he gets any invitations like you did. He has gotten a few prizes...but no biggies. I hope you win the 2010..you deserve it.

William J. said...

Hi Dona

The ear rings aren't that expensive and I really do appreciate they way she treats Mom.

My last four cars were also Tauruses!

Bill

Lady DR said...

what a kindness to think of the grocery clerk and give her a "thank you" gift. I bet that rarely happens!

Wow, what bells and whistles on the new cars. We had a taurus and my mercury wagon was the mercury versio of the taurus and we were really happy with both. Fingers crossed you get the new one.

William J. said...

Hi Dr

The Tauruses last forever. So do the Mercurys.

Bill