Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Ugly Truth Is A Lie, The Ugly Rant Is The Truth.

Before my review of THE UGLY TRUTH and my ugly rant about the movie let's take care of blog trivia first. The answer to yesterday's questions in order were Maria Sharapova, Woody Allen & Meryl Streep. Today is a number test. I make a statement and you tell me the number. For example, Blind mice. The answer would be three. Sides on a stop sign. Squares on a checkerboard. Pints in a gallon. Passing go on Monopoly. The Devil. Hitler.

Before telling you how much I hated this movie because of its message, just the facts. The screenplay was by Nicole Eastman (new), Karen McCullah Lutz (The House Bunny, Legally Blonde) Kirsten Smith (The House Bunny, Legally Blond) and directed by Robert Luketic (Legally Blonde). I should have read their bios before going to the movie. The movie stars (and is produced by) Katherine Heigl,Gerard Butler, Bree Turner & Eric Winter among others.

The basic plot line : Abby Richter (Heigl) is a romantically challenged morning show producer whose search for Mr. Perfect has left her hopelessly single. She's in for a rude awakening when her bosses team her with Mike Chadway (Butler), a hardcore TV personality who promises to spill the ugly truth on what makes men and women tick.

The movie did have one or two funny scenes but what I hated about this movie besides it being extremely predictable, out of sequence scenes and poor lines, was that it was a lie. The Ugly Truth Couldn’t be farther from the truth for this man. The message it sent was the exact message that allows men to act rudely, be insensitive, and get away with things because “we are men we are supposed to act this way.” The movie’s message was that men are pigs and women have to lie about who they are to get a man. And because men are pigs the best way to attract us is to push your boobs towards us.

It is this kind of ridiculous message that allows stories like the beautiful ESPN sports reporter Erin Andrews being unknowingly filmed in her hotel room and the nude photographs of her being posted on the Internet. Men get away with things like that because we are pigs so why shouldn’t we do that? The truth is the guy that took those pictures and posted them on the Internet should be castrated but as long as movies like THE UGLY TRUTH place men in that box of “all men are pigs” idiots like the jackass that violated the privacy of Erin Andrews will never suffer any consequences because they are just being men, after all. Bull.

I also hated the message of THE UGLY TRUTH because it is a difficult message (and a box hard to break out of) for a sincere man truly looking for the one, truly looking for someone to share the rest of his life with, to overcome. Women that buy into to the message that men are pigs go on first dates showing maybe to much cleavage. Then if the man doesn’t look (prefering too find out how the woman really ticks) he is placed in that box of either of being gay or heaven forbid and even worse put into the friendship material not romance material box. That is why THE UGLY TRUTH is an ugly lie. There are many men out there, me included, that would prefer you cover the cleavage for a couple of dates, talk with us, tell us what makes you laugh, tell us what makes you tick, tell us what you want from a relationship, and if we connect on a mental and higher level, trust me the physical side of the relationship that follows will be amazing and bonding.

Total Footballs for THE UGLY TRUTH. None.

End of rant. Any comments about my out of control rant? Agree? Disagree? Tomorrow a more real movie, the wonderful 500 DAYS OF SUMMER.

8 comments:

Lady DR said...

I think it's a shame you can't tell us how you really feel, Bill (BG).

I agree with your rant, based on the message you saw in the movie. I have no idea why anyone thinks that type of film should be made.

I agree it's a lie. Himself is much like you (or he wouldn't have me). Sure, he likes attractive women, but attractive isn't big boobs, deep cleavage, sex. It's a mind and healthy body and sense of humor and shared interests and priorities and such. I know a whole lot of guys like that, from relatives to friends to people in the guitar group, etc. And I know a lot of women who don't buy into the "expectations" of such men.

The sad thing about it is, not only do men use it as an excuse for their actions but women, particularly very young women or insecure women, believe they need to act to please men of that nature. By doing so, they miss out on the good men, who are turned off by their attitude/actions. Movies of that nature don't do anyone any favors.

William J. said...

Hi Dr

You should have seen the post before I edited it!

The thing about the movie is the theme could become a self-prophecy. Women are told men are pigs so to please them they act to attract a pig. Men see women go for the pig, so they become the pigs. Vicious cycle.

The thing about the movie is it was written by three women so on some level they must have experienced men that were doffuses in their lives.

Bill

Pat said...

Hmmm... now I want to go dig out the local paper's review of this movie. As I recall, the reviewer (can't remember male or female) objected more to the cliche brittle woman in a power job who is clueless about life. Whatever, s/he hated it almost as much as you did. If I can find the review again, I'll update this.

Aha! Found it. Written by a man. Mentions the image of career women as "harpies with nice clothes and no dates". Here's the URL if you want to read it for yourself:
http://tinyurl.com/m3mq5n

We women know that all men are not pigs. And those of us who are not desperate can recognize a pig from pretty far off and we run the other way.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I actually agree with about the female role in the movie too. The movie was offensive in so many ways.

He also hit on how unrealistic their potrayal of the interaction between the sexes was in that movie.

I'd love for you to go and get your take on it!

Bill

Lady DR said...

The bit about self-prophecy -- isn't that just too often the case in the human condition? It extends so far out -- I see myself as a victim, therefore, I act as a victim, therefore everyone else sees me as a victim and I become one. Or a loser. Or you name it. And none of this is really true, it's all perception and image and projecton. For a movie to ecourage that sort of thing... no, I can guarantee this one won't go on my "to be seen" list.

What amazes me is your statement it was written by women. These women obviously need a combination of therapy and exposure to "real men," IMHO. I understand art is life, but they seem to have picked up the wrong anvas/paints/whatever at some point.

William J. said...

Hi Dr

Yes, about self-prophecy is just too often the case in the human condition? Your examples are victim and loser are right on!

And I agree with you about the wrters of the movie!

Bill

Pat said...

Bill,

My take on the movie? Sorry. I so seldom go to movies these days and there are so many more worthy than this one. But if it shows up on cable, I'll get back to you. {s}

DR and Bill, about women involved in writing it. They probably have something of a clue about real life, but are clueless on what's funny. They probably thought this kind of untrue cliche was hilarious.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I can wait for it to show up on cable for your review!

And I think your take on the women that wrote the movie is probably right on.

Bill