Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Dinner Guest List, My Favorite Who Am I?

The answer to yesterday's question was former Supreme Court justice, Byron "Whizzer" White. Today's question is at the end of the blog.

Sometimes I review old blog writings and in doing so I found an entry at the time when there were few readers and fewer posters. Since there are more readers and posters now I am going to use that post again today. It is called "Dinner Guest List". What you do is name five people, famous or not, dead or alive, that you would like to invite to dinner. You do have my permission to break the rules and list more than five since that is what I am going to do:

The famous folks:

Audrey Hepburn - Classy. Beautiful. Interesting.

Thomas Edison - An idol.

Sandra Bullock - I just think it would be fun to spend a couple of hours with her.

George Clooney - He just seems like a nice guy and I'd be happy with his leftovers.

RFK - "Some people see things as they are and ask why, I see things that never were and ask why not." Another idol.

The normal folks:

Phil - My roommate from college. He graduated and went to Vietnam. We exchanged many letters while he was there. Then we just lost touch. I am sure he is alive. Would love to meet up with him again.

Debbie - My cousin that died when she was 14. I tutored her in math the day before she died. I'd just want to tell her that although her life was short she influenced all those around her with her kind spirit.

Dad - Obvious reasons for the regular readers of this blog.

Aunt Ella - Just to say thank you.

Aunt Clara - She helped me choose a career path.

Now on to the question of the day. This is one of my favorites and I hope that you will be surprised at some of her background. I admit it is long but it is in my opinion as amazing as it is suprising:

I was born on May 4, 1929 and died of cancer on January 20, 1993. Although I thought was to tall or to fat to be attractive I was referred to as one of the most beautiful women in the world. A man nameed Cary once said "All I want for Christmas in another picture of you."

I was born in Brussels and spent much of my early childhood in the Netherlands. I spent six years in Nazi occupied Arnhem, Netherlands during World War II. Due to my experiences during World War II, I developed a passion for humanitarian work. During World War II I studied Ballet. I was born to my father and his royal second wife. My father changed our last name to the name his grandmoter's maternal last name. During the Nazi occupation of The Netherlands I temporily changed my name becuase having an English name was dangerous and sometimes deadly. In the most traumatic moments of my life, my father divorced my mom, became, and Nazi sympathizer. I secretly danced for groups of people to collect money for the Dutch resistance. I was once quoted as saying "The best audience I ever had made not a single sound at the end of my performances." During the war my half brother was in a German concentration camp. I became anemic and suffered malnutrition. More than once I was at the station seeing trainloads of Jews being transported, seeing all these faces over the top of the wagon. I remember, very sharply, one little boy standing with his parents on the platform, very pale, very blond, wearing a coat that was much too big for him, and he stepped on to the train. I was a child observing a child. I often passed the time during the war by drawing. My childhood drawings are now on diplsay in many areas.

I wanted to be a famous ballet dancer but when I asked my ballet teacher what my future hold I was told that although I would have a nice career that due my height and war time malnutrition I would never be a prima ballerina. I then changed to the career where I gained most of my fame. My first big job in my second career was with a dude that has the same last name as frequent poster on The Dahn Report. Greg was such a good dude that he called the producers and had my name listed first despite his fame. He wanted my name first because he correctly predicted I would win an academy award. During one movie I became Holden to William but dumped him when I found out he had had a a vasectomy. Kay Kendell's husband called me his favorite leading lady. Don't worry Rex and I didn't have an affair, I couldn't do that to my friend Kate. When I died the aforementiond Greg went on television and recited my favorite poem, "Undending Love".

The filming of the movie that the owner of The Dahn Report says has the most frigtening scene in it of any movie was very stressful for me to film not only being kept in the Dark but because the producer of the movie and I were going through a divorce at the time.

Other notes about me. I had two miscarriages before having my first child. While filming one firm I broke my back. I once sang happy birthday to JFK who said I was his favorite actress.

I nwas appointed a goodwill ambassador to the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF). Grateful for my own good fortune after enduring the German occupation as a child, I dedicated the remainder of her life to helping impoverished children in the poorest nations. Who Am I?

Hope today brings you happiness and that you enjoy an nice dinner alone or with friends. And if you could who would invite to dinner tonight?

5 comments:

Pat said...

I really don't like choosing people I'll never really have dinner with. There are too many, and I'll probably leave the really good ones off the list because I'm rushing through this. But here's an off-the-top-of-my-head list anyway.

ACTOR: I'll join you at your dinner with George Clooney. He seems a nice guy and smart, too. I love Alan Rickman, but how he'd be as a dinner companion, I have no idea.
ACTRESS: Nobody springs to mind. Maybe Gwyneth Paltrow. She seems interesting. Maybe Angelina Jolie. I'm sure others will come up with people I should have chosen.
SCIENCE GUY: Richard Feynman. I couldn't talk with him about quantum mechanics, or physics in general, but he could teach me safecracking and maybe we could duet on drums.
POLITICIAN: Barack Obama, for sure! Got lots of ideas for him.
MUSICIAN: A composer I worked with for some years but have lost contact with, Bruce Broughton.
HISTORICAL FIGURE: Too many to choose from. Maybe Hitler, to ask "What in the world were you thinking???" Only I'd skip the dinner part. Don't wanta eat with that guy.
PEOPLE FROM MY PAST: My dad, who would probably be very interested in the parts of my life that he missed by dying too young. And lots and lots of others, too many to name, many of them gone now.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Off the-top-of-head or not those are great choices. Especially the choices of Feyman and your dad!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I also forgot to say that Hitler would be an interesting guest but I am not sure I could make it through the dinner without strangling him!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Gosh, people I'd like to have dinner with...

My dad tops the list. I'd like to know what he thinks of what's gone on since he died, both on a family and world-view basis.

My late husband, because we had so little time together and liked to talk and I'd be interested in his thoughts on the same questions I'd ask Daddy.

Jamie Lee Curtis -- I have a feeling we could have fun and also share some interesting insights.

Paul Newman, for the same reasons.

A family dinner with the Duc de la Pomerai and his children and grandchildren, just to get the real skinny on what happened when they came over with The Pretender and afterwards, how they got crosswise with Cromwell and who fled where and where the heck they buried the gold!

William J. said...

Hi DR

I love the list and learned something from you posting it!

I am pretty touched by the mention of both your dad and your first husband.

Jamie Lee Curtis is a fun woman from all accounts!

A local author here, Shawn Levy, has written and published a biography of Paul Newman that is getting rave reviews.

Getting family history first hand would be a treat! Especially if they told you where the gold was!

Bill