Friday, July 17, 2009

Your Update, Sleeping, & Top Chef Masters

Since I've been updating you on my life everyday this week I'm not really doing an update about me today. I will just give some minor information about myself and let you do your updates.

I usually don't sleep that well, I usually wake up every two hours. Last night for the first time in ages I slept five hours straight. I hope this is the beginning of better sleep patterns.

My act of kindness for the week was done at The Dollar Tree. When I checked out I gave the checker a ten dollar bill, it was the only ten that I had on me. She gave me change for a twenty. I didn't discover it until I was almost half way out the door. I went back and told the checker. She was sure I gave her a twenty. I asked her to check to be sure. She opened the drawer and sure enough there was a ten in the twenty tray. I gave her the extra ten bucks back. She was so grateful she almost cried. She said thank you about ten times.

On to Top Chef Masters, the series on the Bravo Channel. Five well known chefs compete for charity. The winner each week gets ten grand for their charity, the winner for the season gets one hundred thousand smackaroos for their charity.

I always learn something about life when I watch Top Chef or Top Chef Masters. What I learned this week is to work hard and don't watch the clock because if you spend time watching the clock instead of working you may not meet your deadline. I also learned that some skills that you haven't used in a very long time don't go away and when you do use that skill it comes right back to you (as someone looking for the one, I sure hope that is true of sex.) I also learned that when some men use charming phrases my reaction is that is just BS you jerk, yet when I use the charming phrases it is just me being honest and appreciating the beauty of women.

The celebrity chefs competing this week and their charity:

Rick Moonen owner of Rick Moonen RM Seafood in Mandalay Bay In Las Vegas playing for The Cape Cod Commercial Hook Fisherman’s Association.

Nils Noren Vice President of Culinary Institute of Arts at The French Culinary Arts playing for The Friends of The French Culinary Institute.

Lachlan M. Patterson owner of Fresca Food & Wine in Boulder, Colorado playing touchingly for The Denver Children’s Hospital.

Michael Chiarello owner of Bottega Restaurant & Workshop returning to the restaurant scene after years of being on television to play for Clinic Ole.

The chefs compete in two challenges. The Quickfire Challenge and The Elimination Challenge.

The Quickfire Challenge was to turn junk food into fine dining. Michael with the killer smile won the Quickfire Challenge with four and a half stars by turning fish and tarter sauce into swordfish meatballs with fisherman’s sauce. Rick spent so much time looking at the clock that he didn’t finish his dish ending up with no stars.

The elimination challenge was to cook a three course mini-meal for one hundred people. Now remember these are chefs that usually supervise the cooking for one hundred and have tons of help doing it. Now they are out there all by themselves cooking for 100 of Top Chef’s biggest fans. Rick recovered and won the elimination challenge with 17 stars with his okapaka ceviche, branade of scalloped shrimp, and preserved lemon custard. He just couldn’t overcome getting zero stars in the Quickfire Challenge. Michael charming some ladies into helping him put a dish together finished second in the elimination challenge with 15 stars with his shaved Brussels sprouts salad, spicy prawns, and balsamic marinated strawberries. Because Michael got to add his four and half stars from the Quickfire challenge he won the night with 19 ½ stars.

Truthfully I just thought Michael was a little to smooth and wanted him to lose. OK, I admit I am jealous because I’d give a million dollars to have his looks, his smile, and his talent. However, I really wanted Lachlan to win because I loved that he was playing for The Denver Children’s Hospital to pay back for the help they gave his daughter.

What’s cooking? This is the day you get to do whatever you want on the blog. Post whatever you want, vent if you need to, share joys, ask questions, share thoughts, tell how your elderly are doing, tell us what is up with your children, tell us your most hidden secrets, events attended or attending, confess is you so desire, introduce yourself if you want, or just post because you feel like it. The blog is now yours.

12 comments:

Pat said...

First, the chefs. I was sort of rooting for a come from behind for Rick, but I was happy enough that Michael won because he's cute and I'll get to watch him again in the finals.

Okay, now a sort of update. Some anecdotes from Las Casitas where my mom lives. Got a call Wed. a.m. from Tracy. Did I have mom's glasses because they couldn't find them? Nope, I didn't. A couple minutes after hanging up, I got an idea and called them back. She was wearing a fleece shawl with pockets the night before. Look in the pockets. Turned out I was right, and I'm very glad the shawl didn't end up in the laundry before they found the glasses!

Last night I was visiting when Bridget got a call that her daughter had a fever of 104. She had the family's only car, so got permission to leave to take daughter to Urgent Care, which left only Janet to care for anybody who needed care. I usually leave by 8:00, but I stayed just in case, even though there wasn't much I could do to help besides watch my mom and carry messages or answer the phone if needed. Turned out it was a quiet night, no emergencies. Child got care and meds, Bridget came back and I got home by 9:30.

Meanwhile, a feud has developed between my private 2 night/week caregiver and a staff member. I got both sides, lots of drama, which I really, really don't need. I was changing caregivers in a week anyway, but now they'll think this is why. And in a way it is. I think she got a little too comfortable in a job that I don't really oversee, and was coming in late and leaving early without notifying anyone, which put a strain on the one night staff member who's left responsible for an hour in the early morning. I totally HATE having to fire anyone, but I think the new person will be better and will be cheaper for me with no agency fee tacked on. Cross your fingers, everyone. PS: The 5 night/week caregiver is so far perfect, so cross a couple more fingers that that continues.

Lady DR said...

Pat, good thing you're on top of stuff at LC. I'll bet they truly appreciate you, especially things like staying when Bridgette had to leave for a whilte. I shall certainly cross my fingers that the caregiver situation works out both day and night, as I know that can be a real hassle. Heck, we couldn't even get anyone competent to come in and clean Mom's house.

Like Bill, I've pretty much checked in during the week, with the car fiasco and the apartment mgt fiasco. The sorting and packing continues and the longer it goes, the more incline Mom seems to be to send some stuff to the Hope Chest. Not much, but every little bit helps. We are now packing tupperware. Bear in mind, Mom was a dealer/manager for fifty years. Given what I've done so far, I estimate eight large boxes and a couple mediums. I wish she'd get generous and send some of the smaller storage pieces my way (g).

Pat said...

Wow, DR, that's a lot of Tupperware. I hope she leaves some for you, and if there's overflow, I'll take a few of the smaller ones. {g}

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Now I'm even more jealous of Michael.

Good call on the glasses!

And I would definitely call you staying there and helping out a major act of kindness.

I am sorry you have to let the caregiver go but if she comes late, leaves early, and has started to take the job for granted it really is for the best.

I will send good thoughts and vibes that the other caregiver continues to do well and the new caregiver works out!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dr

I'm glad mom is getting more willing to send more stuff to Hope Chest.

Fifty years of tupperware? Piece of cake!

Bill

dona said...

Bill, I hear you on the sleeping. I always slept quite well not a problems. After an accident I had, I was lucky to get a couple hours tops. That went on for years. When I came to care for mom I was finally at about 5 hours a nite which for me was heaven. During those months with her I bet I was up every hour and the Shankster said he was sure it was due to me the worrywart. Mom had a tendency to get up during the nite that last year and have seizures. So I think I was listening for her while sleeping. After she passed, I think the next year I slept the best I have ever slept. Getting a good 8 hours maybe more each nite. So I think this is normal for caregivers/sons/daughters. We are so worried we will hear something or get that call we don't sleep very sound therefore resulting in a lousy nites sleep. I think after a few days you have gotten a bit comfortable knowing she is safe with sis so you can relax enough to fall and stay asleep! Enjoy it while it lasts! At least that is my opinion.

Pat it really does sound like you are on top of things. I also hope the new caregiver is perfect and you can sleep sound.

I found too that it is hard to find someone responsible. Someone talked my Aunt into hiring a couple to come in and clean her apartment. Luckily I came in the day they were there and she was waiting on them to return..From where I asked. Seems all they did was clean some mirrors and then they needed to go eat lunch. I asked if she paid them already and of course she did...a pretty hefty amount too for mirror washing. Especially since I had to redo it all. From that moment on I cleaned her apartment, just cause she was my fav Aunt. I was not going to let anyone take advantage of her again. Yeah, Yeah, I am a sucker for punishment...I would rather do things myself..that way I know they are done right...or at least my way. :)

William J. said...

Hi Dona

I actually thought of you when I was typing that about sleeping.

Worry and stress do impact your sleep patterns. I always worry that during the night I will get a call that requires help since that happened with dad's death and so many times with mom's heart problems. With her gone I don't need the phone. So you hit the nail right on the head.

As to caregivers I cannot tell you how many we went through. The good ones are few and far between.

Bill

dona said...

OH, Oh, almost forgot..DR...TUPPERWARE? Although it sounds like you really have your work cut out for you with packing, it also sounds cool to have so much, I can remember when I would have loved to know someone who was into Tupperware. So I will jump on the wagon with you & Pat for some overflow.....:)

Lady DR said...

I think none of us are going to see any tupperware. Remember, Deb's mission is to outfit the three grandchildren's apartments, should they ever find jobs and live away from home. (That sounds catty, which I don't mean, but it is the mission). Believe me, she knows every piece she owns, something I could never keep track of! I just want some of the smaller pieces, for leftovers. I've plenty of the big stuff (remember, I was also a tupperware manager for five years), so it's the handy little guys I lust after.

Uh, Bill, 50 years of tupperware is a piece of cake, so long as you have a lot of big boxes. And let's not forget the tupperware toys, which are truly considered antiques, which she wants saved for her great grandchildren to play with.

I'm glad to hear you're getting a good night's sleep, Bill, and agree with the others -- when you're "in charge" you subconsciously listen for the phone or, when Mom's here, I'm listening for her to be up at night, be sure she doesn't fall, etc. I think it's back to role reversal -- our moms didn't sleep well when we were babies or when we were out on dates or even the first few years we were gone from home, just waiting for "the phone call."

William J. said...

Hi DR

I forgot about Tupperware toys and usually us men didn't get invited to tupperware parties so we are clueless when you are talking about them.

I did sleep 3 1/2 hours straight last night better than a lot nights but not as good as the previous night.

Bill

Pat said...

About sleep -- I sure sympathize with you guys who are listening for problems and don't sleep. I had a little while of that when my mom first had her meltdown. Not only did I not sleep for more than an hour or two at a time, I took to sleeping with a stuffed animal, which is a little sad for an over-70 y/o woman.

But since mom moved into Las Casitas, I have gone back to champion sleeper status, and have only been summoned once in the middle of the night, before I had the overnight caregiver. I thank my lucky stars that mom was a saver and so far, we can afford good care on her dime.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Come to think of it I slept better when Mom was in assisted living.

On another note you will let us know how the new caregiver is doing?

Bill