Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A Lot of L's

Laundry, Laziness, Leisure, Library, Little bit of work, Lottery, and Look alike pictures are my day in a nutshell.

The answer to yesterday's object was either pen or pencil. Today at the end of the blog there will be two pictures. You have to tell me the difference between the two pictures. There are six differences.

Yesterday was a recovering from slacking day. I had to cancel a dinner date with one of my favorite people because I slacked so much that I needed the evening to work on a work project. I also had a lunch that had been scheduled since before my birthday that was on my schedule. Two restaurant meals in one day is just to much food with me. The dinner is rescheduled for the first week in August. The lunch was with a very beautiful young woman that I have been friends with for years. Her birthday is close to mine so for years we always went out to celebrate our birthdays together. We went to the Macroni Grill in Bridgeport Village in Tigard. We caught up on our lives, how her children and husband are doing, how she is doing with her new job, and what is going on with me. She also told me an act of kindness that she before my birthday so the total acts of kindness for my birthday hit 135. We are going to try to get together a little more often. Next time we are seriously considering meeting at Higgins for lunch. I'm sure that will bring back memories to Mary, Pat, & Bev.

I also did some reading yesterday and finished Catherine Coulter's THE MAZE, two days ago I finished Harlan Coben's LONG LOST. It took me a total of four days to read both books. The were both gripping and among their best work.

Today I need to get my laundry done. I also have to return the books to the library and check out another one. Thanks to working last night I am long into the work project but it still requireas a little bit of work. I'm also going to have some lazy moments, recovering from slacking needs to be a slow withdrawal. Then a leisurely drive towards the coast, a detour for a quiet lunch, and a stop to buy lottery tickets. Powerball is up to 74 million. I can live on that, mabe I'd have to use coupons but I am willing to try.

Here is today's quiz, tell me the difference between the following two pictures. Click on the pictures to enlarge them.






How many L's are you life today? Could you live on 74 millions dollars? Would you take the full 74 million over 30 years (about two and half million a year before taxes? or would take the option of getting half of it now?

6 comments:

Mary said...

Higgins, mmm. I wish I could join you. That was the best dinner.

I have sometimes wondered about how I would take a lump sum like that if I won (which is highly unlikely, since the last time I bought a lotto ticket was during the Clinton administration). The security of knowing that money is coming for 30 years really appeals to me. I am pretty sure I could live on two million a year. I might have to limit my visits to Starbucks, but I think I could do it.

William J. said...

Hi Mary

You and Joe will just have to come down and let me buy you lunch or dinner at Higgins!

I'd take half now. One because anyone over 50 should. And two because if you take it over 30 years and something happens to you it doesn't go to your heirs, it just stops.

Bill

Pat said...

Definitely brings back memories of Higgins. All good ones. Have a creme brulee in our honor!

I'd definitely take half now if the remainder wouldn't go to my heir. If I have 30 years left, I'd be very much surprised. And probably not happy about it, all things considered. OTOH, if half wasn't an option, I'd probably be pretty happy with two mil a year for however long I do have. {g}

Trying to think of Ls in my life today and am coming up empty. I'd say a latte, only I got an iced mocha instead.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Come on up you can enjoy us.

I would think likable would be in your life becauase you are very likable.

I'd be happy with 2 and 1/2 mil a year two but if I am going to make as people as happy as I want to, I need more than that.

Bill

Lady DR said...

See, you're confirming what I said yesterday. Slacking off is good, but eventually you have to catch up, darn it (wry s). Glad you were able to do the lunch and reschedule the dinner.

74 mill - I'd take the half, which I've always said I'd do. 'Course, interest rates were better then and I was looking at investing and using the interest for foundations and helping family and such, but I think I'd still go with half. I'm used to cutting coupons and buying based on weekly grocery specials. I could probably learn to make do (g).

"L"s in tody -- leisure from packing, line dancing, laughter.

William J. said...

Hi Dr

Loved your "L's"

Slacking leads to retribution and I got a dose of it yesterday and today!

To me the half isn't so much about interest rates as it is about how many people I could make happy. And trust me if you have that kind of money the banks are going to give you a lot more than the going interest rate to get your money!

Bill