Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Heat Wave, Pictures From DR, & I Made A Woman Cry.

The answer to yesterday's who am I was Bob Crane.

We have been having a heat wave in Portland with temperatures yesterday hitting 103, today a predicted 105, tomorrow a predicted 105, and then cooling down to 98 on Thursday. This is really unusual for Portland. Usually we have nine days a year over 90, we are already at fourteen or fifteen. I’m avoiding coffee during the heat wave (caffeine dehydrates you), drinking a lot of water, and sleeping downstairs. Even though I have air conditioning heat rises and it is usually hotter upstairs then downstairs.

If you remember DR’s mother is moving to Arizona on August 1. DR has been making her a shawl. It is an absolutely beautiful shawl. The two pictures following are of DR’s Mom and then the second picture is of the handmade shawl. Remember to enlarge the pictures just click them on. Isn't DR talented?





I don’t know what is more beautiful the shawl or DR’s Mom.

Well, I made a woman cry last week. But I think it was a good thing. Remember there is a checker at the grocery store Mom and I go to that just treats Mom with a tremendous amount of respect. She is always giving us free stuff. I wanted to show here how much I appreciated how she treated us and thank her for it. One time when I went into the store the clerk told me she loved green earrings. Kaye that reads here and posts sometimes makes jewelry. I bought two pairs of earrings from Kaye. I bought a thank you card and wrote “just wanted to thank you for your always cheerful nature, the tremendous respect you show my mom, and how nice you always treat me.” When I went in the store and gave her the earrings, she read the card, tried the earrings on and cried. She said she had been a checker for over twenty years and nobody ever did anything like that for her. I was so pleased that she loved the earrings and so grateful for Kaye for her amazing talent in making the earrings! The pictures of the earrings follow:





Today we are going to do word scramble. I give you a word or phrase and you rearrange the letters in word or phrase to form a phrase that relates to that word or phrase. Although I have a guide for the answers there really is no right answers. A couple examples:

DORMITORY letters rearranged Dirty Room

PRESBYTERIAN letters rearranged Best In Prayer.

ASTRONOMER letters rearranged Moon Starer

OK, here goes; DESPERATION, THEY EYES, GEORGE BUSH, THE MORSE CODE, SLOT MACHINES.

Hope you stat cool today!

18 comments:

Pat said...

Oops! The photos don't show up for me on the blog today. It may be my software, but I've been able to see photos on your blog before.

That was a lovely thing you did for the checker, and I'm not surprised that she was touched enough to shed a few tears.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

It just may be a temporary thing with Google. I tried from a different computer and they showed up on the blog.

I'd try again in a little while.

I was really pleased that the checker liked what I did.

Bill

Mary said...

Hmm, I can't see the pictures either. In Firefox it's just a blank space. In IE, I can see that there should be pictures there, but they're not. Clicking on them doesn't help.

I'll try again later.

William J. said...

Hi Mary

I will see if Pat uses firefox if worse comes to worse I will delete the post and try it again.

Bill

William J. said...

I reuploaded the phots so I hope now you can see them.

Bill

Mary Z said...

I use firefox, and I got the photos.

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

Thank you. I think the problem was I deleted the original post so had to re-upload the photos. The fact that you can see them now, makes me think I fixed the problem.

Bill

Sian said...

Hi Bill - glad you are beginning to feel de-stressed after a week free of caregiving. Hope you really feel the benefit of two weeks holiday and your mom returns refreshed and more appreciative of what you do. The shawl is beautiful - DR you are so creative - where do you find the time??

William J. said...

Hi Sian

It is always good to see you here.

Mom is back. Sis leaves in the morning. I'll get the full report tomorrow afternoon.

Bill

dona said...

Bill, I can see why the checker shed a few tears...you are so nice to take the time to write such a nice card & get a gift. And to Kaye, loved the earrings, very talented you are.

Also to a talented DR, the shawl is beautiful as is your mother. Looks as though she liked it too? I too wonder where you find any time to do that...I know you couldn't whip it out in minutes!

Bill, sorry to hear you are having such a heat wave. Hope things will cool down for you soon. Come on over and I will whip you up a fruit smoothie..that will cool you down for a bit. :)

I have taken a few days away from the computer & I hate to post a comment on another subject, but want to Thank you Bill, and all the others here who sent me good vibes in a recent post where you most graciously mentioned my unfortunate pain. I am happy to report it is all good now and I am finally feeling the good parts of the injection. (Thanks Bill)

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Glad the injections are better. And we follow no rules here. You can post anything anywhere. Especially if it is thanking me.
We miss you when you are gone. And when you hurt we hurt.

This heat is amazing. I just walked out the mail box, maybe 100 steps each way, and almost got sunburned in that short distance.
A fruit smoothie sounds great.

And you are welcome.

Bill

Pat said...

I'm ba-aack! Yes, I use Firefox, and now I can see the photos. The shawl is gorgeous, DR, and so is your mom. What beautiful white hair she has!

The earrings are gorgeous, too. Good choice, Bill, and good work, Kaye!

Dona, so glad to hear the injection is working now and the major pain is gone. What a relief, eh?

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I learned something about Google today. I had a double post so I deleted one post and in the process deleted the pictures. No I know not to do that again!


Bill

William J. said...

Can't have 13 posts it is agains the blog rules.

Lady DR said...

My empathy on your heat wave. My other friend in Portland is miserable and Mary (from S16) is suffering in Seattle, with no a/c at all. I understand the humidity isn't helping the situation at all.

Thank you for posting the picture and to you and all the others for the nice comments on the shawl and on Mom. She is a pretty lady, prettier than in the picture, and her hair is absolutely snow white. As to time to do the shawl -- I did some of Mom's in late evenings, but much of it while we were on the road to and from Myrtle Beach and on another road trip. My other projects I often do while sitting in doctor's waiting rooms with Mom and then in the exam room, waiting for the doc to show up or while we're waiting to get lab work done. Once Mom's in AZ, is suspect there will be fewer premie hats, caps and shawls achieved, unless we make time to do a lot of RV trips (wry s)

Bill, what a lovely gesture for the clerk at the grocery. Kaye, the earrings are gorgeous - you are so talented and creative. It must take a great deal of time and patience to acheive such results.

Dona, so glad to hear that the injections are working and you're now feeling better and able to rejoin us.

Bill, gonna pass on the brain teaser today. My mind is fried and I'm barely coherent. However, the packers have been and gone and I got a start on the cleaning process and Mom took us out to dinner. Another early (loading) and long (cleaning) day tomorrow and I'm hoping Mom and I get some relax time Thursday afternoon, before Lake arrives to take her to AZ on Friday.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I hope you and your mom to get a night or two to just kickback and talk about life in general. You have really worked hard to get her ready to go and you two deserve some together time.

Pat is passing on the question of the day too. Sometimes we really don't want to put our brain to work.

The all time record for heat in Portland is 107, we are supposed to break that tomorrow at 108. They also extended the heat wave a couple of more days not hiting below 100 until Friday. Thank God both mom and I have air conditioning.

Bill

Mary said...

I have no a/c and I am dying here! I truly don't ever remember such a long hot stretch here (and it sounds like we're going to break all time records tomorrow too).

I can see the pictures now, thanks!

William J. said...

Hi Mary

I wish you had a/c. That last time we had four days in a row over 100 was in 1981.

Gosh, I just can't imagine how you survive without a/c, I'd seriously consider a local vacation at a nice hotel!!

Bill