Thursday, July 23, 2009

Comedy Equals Relationships & Life

Yesterday’s differences between the pictures; 1. Sign was higher; 2.Window was different; 3. Book was larger; 4. Bush was missing; 5. Shoes were different; 6. Tree limb was missing. Today’s trivia is at the end of today’s blog entry.

Last night was my second week in a row of attending The Farm Team Comedy Sportz Class. I’m not going to talk about me on stage last night, although I did get up and participate in three skits. What I am going to talk about is some of the off stage exercises and on stage exercises. And how they could be very helpful relationship exercises. I didn’t really think about it until at the end of the class when the instructor had everyone tell what they learned in the class and one lady said “I learned relationship tools.” Thinking about that on the way home I thought she was right on. In fact so right on that I would love it if the readers and posters here would try the exercises with their spouses or significant other.

An off stage exercise that was to help you connect with your stage partner and also learn to pay attention to him or her on stage. You had to sit directly across from your partner and stare into each other’s eyes until the instructor blew the whistle. It was a good sixty to ninety seconds, which truly is a lifetime. The urge to look away is overpowering, the connection you feel with your partner at the end of the exercise is amazing.

Negativity and arguments can often kill a stage scene. Negativity and arguments can often kill a relationship. The next exercise was when someone started a stage scene was to not turn the scene into an argument. You had to agree with what the first person said in the scene. Example:

First person: You left the coffee pot on last night.

Second person: Yes, I did.

(human nature is to argue and say no, which leads to yes you did and an argument starts)

First Person: Will you turn it off tonight?

Second Person: Yes.

(human nature is to say I turned it off last night and an argument continues)

If you are in the second role it is very hard fight human nature and always agree. However, when you do not only do you avoid the argument it often turns into very funny self-depreciating humor.

Another stage exercise was “yes, and you once” or “yes, and you always”. You each had to use one of those phrases at the beginning of your sentence, without starting an argument. The subject was polyester.

Scene starts with the lady looking at the stage male partner’s pants

“Yes and you once maybe twenty years someone would think polyester was in style”

“Yes and you always told me I looked stunning in my polyester leisure suit.”

Human nature would be to respond to the first sentence with, something along the line of quit making fun of my clothes, do I have to change, or some phrase that would lead to an argument. It really was amazing how hard it was not to turn the scenes into argument but just as amazing as how the scene became funny and positive trying to avoid an argument.

Today’s trivia:

What is the gestation period of an Hippopotamus?; Which of the following inventions was the first to be patented? A: Chewing Gum, B: Dishwasher, C: Cash Register, D: Rubber Band; When the first Burger King Restaurant opened in 1954, how much did a hamburger cost?; On I Love Lucy What was the name of Fred and Ethel's dog?; On Star Trek who was originally offered the original role of Spock?

Hope you have a great day filled with laughter and sans arguments

6 comments:

Pat said...

Yes, good relationship advice there. I'm glad you're continuing with the comedy classes.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I do hope I can continue the classes even when mom comes back.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Your comedy class provides a lot more than comedy, obviously. Good exercises, learning to not be immediately defensive, which is sooo human. I hope you'll be able to make arrangements to continue.

So far, a day with no arguments. Even if I had the opportunity, I think I'm too tired to do so (wry s).

William J. said...

Hi DR

Yes the comedy class does provide other than comedy which is why I hope I can continue.

Glad there were no arguments today!

Bill

Mary said...

When Joe and I were getting married, we had to attend a pre-marital counseling session with a couple who had been married for a whole long time (probably less time than we've been married now!) We both went with a very bad attitude.

What we both came away from that class with is skills for fighting fair. No bringing up stuff that happened ten years ago and you're still mad about. No using "you always" and "you never."

I think it might have been an accident (g) but that class really got us through the first five years. And even now, 21 years later, we still can break up an argument by saying, "you always, you never" in an appropriately whiny tone. (g)

William J. said...

Hi Mary

I wish every one would go to pre-marital counseling. You learned some good skills and it is amazing how always and you never were like the comedy class excercise.

There is no such thing as an accident you most likely got through the first five years because you loved each other and worked hard to make it succeed!

Bill