Friday, December 11, 2009

AND THE WINNER IS!!

Wow was I ever impressed with your answers in the contest. I didn't change any of the answers, I stuck with the official answers because all questions had at least one right answer. The scores certainly made all the trivias of the day worthwhile to me because as a group we probably know more about women in history than any group!

AND THE WINNER IS:

Congratulations DR!

Here is the ranking:

FIRST PLACE AND $75

DR 820 POINTS

SECOND PLACE AND $50

PAT 795 POINTS - lost on the last question in the contest. The final bonus question did her in.

THIRD PLACE AND $25

Dona 750 POINTS.

Checks will go out Monday. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

THE ANSWERS ARE:

Ten point questions

1. Who is known by some to be the last female bank robber?

C. Pearl Hart

2. Who was the first African-American to win an Oscar?

A. Hattie McDaniel.

3. The answer to question 2 won the Oscar for what movie?

B. Gone With The Wind.


4. Who was the real life Normal Rae?

A. Crystal Lee Sutton.

5. Marry Surratt was suspected as being involved in what event in American History?

B. The assassination of Abraham Lincoln.


20 point questions.

6. Who was the first woman Secretary of State?

Madeline Albright.

7. According to The Dahn Report who was the first woman elected to the U. S.
House of Representative.

Jeannette Rankin.

8. According to The Dahn Report who was the first woman to run for president?

Victoria Woodhall

9. Who was the first woman doctor?

Dr. Eizabeth Blackwell

10. Who was the first woman allowed to practice in front of The United States
Suprmee Court?

Belva Ann Lockwood. Arabella Mansfield is considered to be the first
attorney but she wasn't allowed to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court.

30 POINT QUESTIONS

11. The first woman admiral has a nickname that will remind you of a famous
hymn. Name the hymn.

Amazing Grace.

12. This first woman to break the sound barrier was born with a name different
than he one she had when she broke the sound barrier. Give me the two names,
fifteen points for each name.

Jackie Cochran-Bessie Lee Pittman

13. Who was the first "living woman author" to have her works published by the
Library of America.

Eudoera Welty. Flannery O'Conner was one of the guesses but she was the first
fiction writer not the first living woman to have her works published, her
works were published after death.

14. Who was the first woman appointed Poet Laureate by the Library Of Congress.

Mona Van Duyn. Here is a web site with the history of the position:

http://www.questia.com/library/encyclopedia/poet_laureate.jsp

15. Who was the first woman to hold a full professorship at John Hopkins School of
Medicine.

Florence Sabin.

40 POINT QUESTIONS

16. I took the photograph that was titled The Migrant Mother, Who Am I?

Dorthea Lange

17. My name is Margaret Brent, how many of the original colonies am I given credit
for founding.

Two

18. I am a woman given credit for helping to develop the bottling system at Coca
Cola, Who Am I?

Lettie Pate Whitehead Evans/

19. My name is Mary Edwards Walker what medal was I the first woman to win?

Medal of Honor.

20. My name is Juliet Gordon Low. Ten points for each of the following answers:

A. I had two nicknames, ten points for each nickname.

Little Ship. Daisy.

B. What organization am I given credit for founding.

Girl Scouts.

C. What handicap did I have.

Limited Hearing.

50 POINTS EACH.

21. I am sometimes referred to as the Japanese Schindler. I saved many lives during
World War II. The owner of The Dahn Report called me a true hero because I did
what I did not for fame or fortune but because it was the right thing to do.
He also shed a tear when he read my bio. Who Am I?

Chiune Sugihara

22. I am a handsome but small dude that acted in numerous movies but not as well
known as the most decorated soldier of World War II. Who Am I?

Audie Murphy.

23. I was the first woman to own, operate and edit a news vehicle for women.
Don't tell me my name instead tell me what article of women's clothing my name
is associated with.

Bloomers.

24. I was Ernest Hemmingway's third wife. For twenty-five points each tell me my
name and my occupation.

Margaret Gellhorn, Journalist.

25. You get twenty-five points if you can tell me the president that appointed the
first woman cabinet member and another twenty five points if you can tell me
the name of the woman.

The first *cabinet* member was Frances Perkins appointed by FDR.


BONUS QUESTION:

On The Dahn Report a link was supplied to video of the employees of a hospital doing a dance to bring awareness to breast cancer. 25 points each.

A. Name the hospital.

Providence St. Vincent

B. Name the dance.

The Pink Glove Dance.

C. Tell me within one million views how many times the video has been viewed on You
Tube. Only the official hospital You Tube video counts. There are several other
videos on You Tube of the dance so just go with the one that has the most views.

Three to six millions views would be considered correct.

D. Who sings the song that the employees are dancing to?

Jay Sean. The song is Down.

10 comments:

Kaye R said...

Congratulations DR, Pat and Donna!!! Way to go, girls!!!

(insert applause here)
Kaye

Pat said...

Thank you, thank you. {bowing}. I'm actually glad DR won, because she's totally re-doing a bathroom and can use the cash.

So I blew the last question, huh? And it wasn't even a sports question. I'm ignorant on pop singers, too, so I just took something I saw on YouTube.

William J. said...

Hi Kaye

Thanks for your graciousness!!

Now if you make the deadline for the next contest you might have a shot at it!!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Now that you know about the search the blog feature you can win the next contest!!

Only answers not on the blog were Madeline Albright and the last question, Jay Sean!

I'm glad that all three of you finished in the money.

Bill

dona said...

Thanks Kaye, And Congrats to DR and Pat!

I have to say this contest was enjoyable, I loved it. Thanks Bill!

William J. said...

Hi Dona!

I'm glad you finished in the money!!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Wow, Bill, this is exciting. And thanks to the rest of you for the congrats. Pat and Dona, good job! We weren't that far apart. And, yes, the "winnings" are already dedicated to the upcoming renovation.

Question: Bill you said something about a search... is there a way to search your blog for previous answers or subjects? Not just for contests, but because there were so many women who were so interesting and if there's a way to find your "who am I" questions, I'd love to be able to do it, without having to go through each individual post (which isn't what I did). But, I've brought up some of the stuff I've learned here and had people question me and the best I can tell them is to google a name or particular issue.

William J. said...

Hi DR

It is really easy to search the blog. In post section (not the comment section) look all the way to the top and look all the way to the left. There is a white space there. You can type in a name or a phrase or even a poster and it will show all the posts that have the phrase, name, or poster in it. You can also post subjects and it will take you there.

Try it, write in Mona Van Duyn and see what happens.

Or write in "Women In History" and see what happens.

Or write in "first woman admiral"

It will search my blog only.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Thanks for the info, Bill. I'm off to give it a go. Sure would have made life easier (g)

William J. said...

Hi DR

Hope it works!!

Bill