Thursday, December 31, 2009

Mystery Night/Once In A Blue Moon

Tonight is mystery night. Going to watch a mystery movie on TV. Read a J.A. Jance Novel. And try to solve a mystery why a decent guy like me doesn't have a date on New Year's Eve.

Here is the good story. Gives you a really good reason to root for the Ducks tomorrow in the Rose Bowl:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/steve_duin/index.ssf/2009/12/ducks_learn_life_lessons_and_a.html

Been on a movie kick this week. Took in It's Complicated with my Mom. Then on my own saw Invictus and Sherlock Holmes. I will be reviewing those movies in the next few days.

The next ten days or so I am going to list an old post a day from my blog. When I am done with old posts I will have you vote on your favorite post. I went way back to the beginning of the blog before some of you like Kaye, DR, Dona, Maryann and others started following the blog. I am doing this for a couple of reasons. One if I know what writings you like it well help me gauge how I am doing with the blo. It will also help me think of things to write about in the future. The other reason is so someone like Maryann will know what the blog is about. Today's entry is from one of my favorite writers, Robert Fulgham. Sometimes on the blog I will see something that I just love and repeat it here on the blog. This post is titled "The Pig In Cinderella:

http://thedahnreport.blogspot.com/2008/02/pig-in-cinderella.html

Tonight one decade ends, another begins. One year ends, another begins. Are you as glad to see both the decade and year go away as I am? And like Norman the Pig in Cinderella, have you ever been left on the sidelines? Have you ever shut someone out? Yes, I have often been on the sidelines. Yes, I have shut people out and made them feel like they were on the outside looking in. I work everyday to make sure I don't do the later and I work everyday to improve to the place that people see me as someone to include. How about you?

8 comments:

Mary Z said...

One of the folks we play bridge with is a 94-year-old lady. On Monday, somebody asked her if she was looking forward to the new year. She replied, "Oh yes, I always want to see what's going to happen next."

What a terrific way to look at life!

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

Still playing bridge at 94, I'd love the lady.


Bill

Pat said...

Not voting yet, but I love the pig story. I've been on the sidelines a lot. Sometimes it's okay, sometimes it's hurtful. And I have been known to shut people out, at least in the sense of discouraging friendship beyond a certain point. I try to do it kindly, but I suppose that's never altogether kind, no matter how you do it.

As to this decade, and this year, I don't know what to think. The whole decade seems to have passed me by, and I wouldn't be surprised if the coming one does, too. Where has it all gone? That's my question. Do I have high hopes for a better 10s, or teens, or whatever we decide to call this decade? Not really. But like your bridge-playing lady, I do always want to see what comes next, just in case it's something good.

cd0103 said...

Happy New Year to all of us!

William J. said...

Hi Connie

And to you and yours too!!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Don't vote yet! Got some good ones and not all of them are from me!

I am with you, sometimes being on the sideline is OK and maybe even preferred but sometimes it is extremely hurtful.

I also want to see what is coming. Especially if it is a winning lottery ticket!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Great story about the Ducks, Bill. And the pig story. You sent me a copy of that tape several years ago and I still have it. Maybe it's time to take it out and listen again. Isn't that also the "lecture" where he talked about mirrors?

Yes, been on the sidelines and, like you and Pat, sometimes it's an okay think and sometimes it hurts like the devil. Still finding this true on occasion and suppose it's a part of life.

As to the end of the year and a decade... I rambled a lot about that in my MPs this morning. The decade has been interesting, sometimes adventuresome, sometimes scary, peaks and valleys and ups and downs. All in all, it's brought me where I am now and some things I couldn't have changed and I'm not sure what I would have done differently, if I could. As to 2009, I'm not at all sorry to see it end. It's had it's "good times" but it seems there have been a lot of potholes and lots of ups and downs and changes and adjustments. Like Mary's friend, I want to see "what happens next" and I'm hoping it's mostly positive stuff. Let the good times roll!

Dona, I hope the Shankster is doing better and you two are well.

Wishing all of you a Happy 2010, with emphasis on health and happiness and prosperity in your dreams and endeavors.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I had forgotten that I had sent you the tape and yes it is the one where he talked about mirrors. Maybe I need to listen to the tape again too!

I think as long as there is a main playing field in life there will be sidelines.

The decade for me started with Dad having his stroke and me taking care of him and ending with mom spending the nights alone. I hope that is a sign of better things to come next year.

And I echo your wishes for us for you!!

Bill