Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Incurable Doofus

First the good news:

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/scientists-map-cancer-genes-personalized-treatments-could-be-ne/19286983/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl2|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailyfinance.com%2Fstory%2Fscientists-map-cancer-genes-personalized-treatments-could-be-ne%2F19286983%2F

I am learning to ask for help when I need it. However, sometimes that help ends up costing me more in time and money then if I just had handled it myself. OK, admittedly I am sometimes a clueless doofus. After lunch yesterday with the marvelous Lorraine, (thank you for the movie tickets!), I headed to the Sherwood Post Office to send off my last Christmas package. After the lady behind the counter at the post office complimented me on my wrapping skills I went out to get in the car. I pushed the little car door opener on the key chain and NOTHING HAPPENED!! The door didn't unlock. The battery was dead on that little electronic door opener. I panicked. Then I remembered there was an extra set of keys to my car at Mom's house. So rather than call AAA and wait for a bit I called mom to ask sister to bring me the extra set of the car keys. I was only four miles from Mom's. Sister wasn't there but as things have it the caregiver had stopped by to wish Mom a Merry Christmas and tell Mom that she missed her. She told Mom that she wanted to bring the keys to me. And she did. The second set of keys worked. Before she left the caregiver said, "when that happened to me, I just unlocked the door with the key," NOW WHY DIDN'T I THIINK OF THAT? Mr. Stud has become Mr. Clueless. Both the caregiver and I went on our merry ways. Well at least we did for five minutes. I got a call from the caregiver. Her car died as soon as she left me. I drove over to where she was. First I tried to start her car with jumper cables. Didn't work. Then I went and got her a couple of gallons of gas, I always carry a gas can in the car. Didn't work. Tow truck time. She told me she would be all right waiting for the tow truck alone. But it was dark and cold. I'm not going to leave any woman (well maybe my sister-in-law) alone in the dark and cold under those circumstances. So I had her sit in my car with the heater going while we waited the forty-five minutes for the tow truck. While we were waiting she said that the sixty dollar cost of the tow truck was going to mean she couldn't buy her grandkids Christmas gifts. When the tow truck drivers got there, they tried the same things I did. Gas and battery. Didn't work. So they had to tow her car to an auto repair place. Of course at that time of night it was closed. While one of the tow truck drivers was unloading the car I went over and asked the other one if I could use my AAA membership for the caregiver's tow. He said since I had the plus of course I could. Problem solved. The tow didn't cost me a dime, didn't cost the caregiver a dime. Bless AAA. She can still buy here grandkids gift. I drove her to her girl friend's house where she was staying. The girl friend will take her to the car repair shop in the morning. I ended up getting home three hours after I asked for help.

I know it was really, really dumb of me not to just unlock the car door with the key. I just didn't think about that. I am so used to using technology to do things for me that I just forgot about the old way of getting in a car. However, had I not called Mom for someone to bring me the second set of keys, had not the caregiver willingly brought me that set of car keys, it could have been almost a tragic night for the caregiver. She would have left Mom's, her car would have died on the freeway, and her fate would have been put in the hands of complete strangers. Fate. I asked for help for once in my life and still ended up being the freaking rescuer.

Now on to an interesting story. They always said that if we did something as kids it would cause us to go blind. Now there is a modern version that fear. Read the interesting article here:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601124&sid=al6maBDidAb8


Are you going to quit texting to save your eyesight? After my last experience should I still make the effort to ask for help? Have you ever ended up asking for help and ended up being the helper? Are you excited that maybe the cure for cancer may come in our lifetime? And have you ever forgotten how to do something because you are so used to new technology?

8 comments:

Pat said...

I'm safe from texting, since I don't do it. At my age and with my friends approximately the same vintage, I'm lucky if they have email.

I couldn't get to the texting article for some reason, but I think I get the idea. I've always heard that you don't damage your eyes by using them in less than optimal conditions, like reading in dim light. But I recently read an article that said long periods of closeup work can change the shape of the eye and lead to more myopia. In fact, one study found that 17% more Americans are nearsighted than 30 years ago. They said kids especially should spend more time outside, where you tend to look more into the distance, as that "relaxes the eye".

I just think it was lovely for the caregiver that you didn't think to use your key. I still don't have one of those gadgets, so it wouldn't have come up for me. The worst for me is when my garage door opener battery dies. I've never become the rescuer after asking for help, but in this case, good for you for being such a Good Guy.

I'd sure like to see a cure for cancer, but I can't say I expect to see one in my lifetime. Still, they continue to make strides, and cure or at least halt the progress of some. I hope they get the gene-mapping thing working sooner than expected.

dona said...

HI Bill, so lucky for the caregiver that you are incurable. :)

I think at some point we have all done something as silly as not using what God gave us first. Nothing comes to mind at this moment but I am sure there is something I have done also.

I remember a few years back when we still had our Toyota, we didn't have auto anything and a nieces daughter got in & was at first totally confused by it, and as others got in the car she let them all know Aunt Dona had an Antique Car.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I text once in a great while. So little it is pitiful.

You got the crux of the article. The increase in near sightedness.

How do you get the garage door opened without the opener? Is there a release button that you can open the door manually?

When I donated my time a few years ago at a cancer research center that had reached the point where over fifty percent of the cancer cases were then curable. I'd like to see that be a undred percent.

And I replaced the link with another story that had virtually the same story as the one that didn't work.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Absolutely love the antique car story!

Bill the incurable doofus.

Pat said...

Bill, about the garage door: If I'm coming home and my little remote doesn't work, no prob. I park on the street, go in the front door, and raise the door with either the button by the kitchen door or with my spare remote.

If the power's off, I'm just out of luck. There's a cord to pull to release the door so you can open it by hand, but the door is old, and it sticks about 2 ft off the ground, so is useless until there's power again. If it were an emergency, it's possible that a neighbor and I could manage it together, but I've never enlisted anyone so far. If power goes off and I'm home, that's where I stay.

Dona, I love the antique car story, too. I once rented a car that had that gadget, but I didn't realize it until right before I turned it in. I just used the key like the antique I am.

Lady DR said...

Wow, two interesting studies.I'm delighted they're looking closely at the DNA and specific genomes related to cancers. When Paul had a very unusual type of cancer, we tried to get him into clinical trials, where they took "samples" of the tumors and then created specific treatments to "attack" the specific types of cells. Unfortunately, he passed away before they had everything in place, but I believe they're continuing the research studies here. It makes sense, given that certain people have very different reactions to certain carcinogens and some people see to be "immune" to the carcinogens. Individually tailored treatments could make a huge difference in survival rates and quality of life.

As to the eyesight thing... I think they have good points. I know that statistics show that if your job requires a great deal of computer time or reading time, it's important to stop every fifteen minutes or so and focus on distant objects, preferably through a window or by going outside for just a few minutes. I think this is what the article is saying. Adults, as well as kids,spend a great deal of time looking at computer screens, books, numbers and the like and very little time outside, using any sort of distance vision. This has only been recognized in recent years. I think it behooves all of us to pay attention to how much time we spend looking at "small print, up close" to how much time we spend looking at the outside world. Sort of a variation on "stop and smell the roses." I don't do texting, but I do spend a great deal of time at the computer, between work and finances and web research. And I spent a great deal of time reading throughout my childhood. And I do have a problem with long distance vision, which can't be totally corrected, even with glasses.

Asking for help ... one of the hardest things I've had to learn to do and one I'm still not real good at. I had to learn to do it when Walt was ill and dying. Do I do it in "ordinary" circumstandes? Rarely. Would I ask for help if I ended up being the helper? Yes - it's called sharing blessings (g). I think too many of us are "fix it" people, who think we're to help others, not get help. Sometimes I think we miss out on great opportunities to let others feel good, because of it. And sometimes, as you said, we miss out on opportunities to help others who help us. As to doing dumb things because I'm used to technology or a certain way of doing things... I've had more than my share of "duh!" moments, I'm afraid.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I am glad you have an out if the opener quits working! And I hope you don't have a long term power outage!

And you are not an antique.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I am also they are looking at DNA. That is really sad that Paul passed away before they could develop a sample.

I also thing close contact on the eyesight. You hold the phone close to your face when you read or send text messages. When you sit at the computer you are close.

I am getting good at asking for help but I am still better at giving it.

Lately, I am having more duh moments then sometimes I think are humanly possible!

Bill