Monday, December 14, 2009

Walking Works

I started my walking program again about ten days ago after visiting with my Mom's heart doctor due to some problems that I was having. The doctor scheduled a stress test today due to those symptons. I've been scared stiff not only about the symptoms but also about the stress test. About whether or not I would be able manage the stress test due to those symptoms. Not only have the symptoms gone away but I did great on the treadmill today. I did everything they asked! I am not sure about the results and won't know until the follow-up appointment with Dr. Leno (we call him that because he looks like Jay Leno) Friday. However, I think the results will be good, just a feeling! THANKS FOR YOUR VIBES AND GOOD THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS!! THEY WORKED! Just to be safe keep them going until Friday!

The test works like this:

They put you on an IV. Then they inject a dye. (20 minute wait afterwards)

Then you get on to some kind of machine and lay still for seventeen minutes. The machine takes pictures of your heart in a resting position.

Then they take you to a treadmill. They hook you up to an EKG. They take an EKG before you get on the treadmill, then they keep the EKG going the whole time you are on the treadmill. They want to get your heart rate to 137. The treadmill is set to three minute time frames, at the end of each time frame the treadmill speeds up and is elevated. They want you to get to the second time frame so that they can inject you with another dye. I got all the way to the third time frame and got the heart rate to 145. With minor problems. Nothing major. Took ten minutes. My pulse droppeed immediately after I was done, which is a good sign.

Then you got out to the waiting room and eat a peanut butter sandwich. The peanut butter sandwich is important because it helps remove the dye from your system. That takes forty minutes.

After the forty minutes you go back to step one and they take more pictures of your heart.

Then they take an EKG.

Then you go home.

Pictures of the heart while resting, while exercising, and after exercising are sent to the heart doctor for a read. That is what I find out Friday!!

I am exhausted now and am going to a movie!! Tomorrow I will put the link to Maryanne's web site in the daily post!

Thanks again.

8 comments:

Pat said...

Congratulations, Bill! It sounds like you did very well indeed on your stress test. Shoot, I was stressed just reading about it.

dona said...

Yay For you Bill~! So glad all went well...even though you have to wait til Friday, I am sure it is all good.

Will keep the prayers and vibes coming.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

It is quite the procedure and as soon as people hear you are having a stress test they can't wait to tell you about somebody they know that had a heart attack while they were taking the test or as soon as they got home. I was so scared about it that I almost canceled it. But I feel so relieved now. I really could of done a few more minutes on the treadmill. They just didn't want to take more chances.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Thanks so much for your support!!
You really do not know how much I appreciate you!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Good job on the stress test, Bill. Sounds like you did fine, although the prayers continue until you get the results Friday. Double good news the symptoms have gone away. A pox on the folks who want to tell you about all the "negatives," which are usually the exceptions to the rule, we've discovered, about Himself's experiences and Mom's.

The test you describe is like the one Himself had a few weeks/months (time befuddles memory) after his heart attack. I giggled at the peanut butter sandwich. When Himself had his, they senst us out for 45 minutes to get anything high in fat. Since he'd seen nothing in that category since his attack, he thoroughly enjoyed a Whopper with cheese, french fries and a milk shake, before we went back for the second half. (He didn't see another meal like that for a couple years and they're still few and far between!)

My test did the die and the resting EKG and then the increasing speed and slant, followed by another echo-something, but I didn't get the "fat" meat and retest, just another "echo" test. Then again, that's when I ended up having the heart cath. Go figure.

I hope you enjoyed the movie, are feeling more rested and will continue the walking you started, as you wait for and after the results come in.

Btw, Maryanne has started posting photos to the gallery at her cybersalessite. And none of you can have the agate, because I already bought it!

Mary said...

I am so glad to hear it went well, Bill. I had my fingers crossed all day for you. Will continue sending good thoughts for good answers on Friday.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I ended up not going to the movie. I don't know if it was the stress test, the worry about the symptons, the worry up to the test, and the relief afterward but I was just to tired to do anything. I went to sleep at 7 last night.

We had to wait forty minutes too but this heart place wanted you not to leave. They wanted you to bring in the fat peanust butter sandwich and when you got there they took it away from you and kept it until they wanted you to eat it.

I didn't know you had heart problems.

Maryanne is one talented lady.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Mary

Thanks for your support and thanks for keeping it going until Friday!

Bill