Monday, December 28, 2009

Words of The Decade/A Year In Review

Dona has asked us to send positive vibes, good thoughts, and prayers in the direction of her and The Shankster that he doesn't have kidney stones. Of course I do! Keep us updated, Dona!

On the blog today are two stories.

First up is words that were created during the decade that some of us are tired of hearing. Are you tired of hearing these words:

It is what it is.

Jump The Shark.

Think Outside The Box.

Win, Win.

Drink The Kool-Aid.

Social Media.

To Be Honest.

At The End of The Day.

Read the entire list here:

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/speak-no-evil-the-decades-worst-new-business-terms/19285560/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl2|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailyfinance.com%2Fstory%2Fspeak-no-evil-the-decades-worst-new-business-terms%2F19285560%2F

On to the next subject, a review of 2009.

January - the first African-American Takes Office. Captain Sully safely lands a jet in the Hudson River.

February - Stimulus package passed. Steelers win the Super Bowl. Slumdog Millionaire wins the Oscar. The stock market hits its lowest level since 1997.

March - AIG pays bonuses. Madoff pleads guilty.

April - G-20 Summit. North Korea launches a test missile. Swine Flu spreads.

May - Sonia Sotomayer nominated for the Supreme Court.

June - Michael Jackson dies. Al Franken declared winner of Minnesota senate race. Mark Sanford goes missing.

July - Cash for Clunkers begins. Gov. Palin announces she will not complete her term as Gov of Alaska.

August - Former President Bill Clinton helps in the release by North Korea of two women journalists.

September - "You Lie" is shouted by Senator Wilson during a speach by the President.

October - Rio de Janeiro is chose to hold the 2016 Olympics, beating out Chicago. The President wins a Nobel Peace Prize. David Letterman comes clean.

November - Yankees win the world series. Tiger Woods comes clean.

December - More troops to be sent to Afghanistan. Retailers have a better year than last year. Ducks and Ohio State to meet in the Rose Bowl.

I honestly don't know if the timing of the above events are right or not because I took them from a very funny review of the year by Dave Barry. You can read his take on 2009 here:

http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2009/12/2009_how_much_fun_can_one_year.html

What words of the decade are you tired of? What do you remember about 2009? What do you think is the top story of 2009?

8 comments:

Pat said...

Funny article. Of the phrases you list, I actually rather like some of them. I never heard of "social media", which may say something about me. Or not. Of the others, I find the last two mildly annoying, but none of them bother me a lot.

"Jump the shark" had me totally bollixed for some time. I kept hearing it in relation to tv shows that had outlived their usefulness, so I knew what it meant, but not where it came from. Finally, finally, somebody in TV Guide made it clear, and it's pretty funny, actually.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I love Dave Barry.

The only phrases that bother me on the list are "to be honest with you" and "at the end of the day."

If memory serves me right and it doesn't always didn't jump the shark have to do with an episode of Happy Days where the Fonz tried to jump his motorcycle over a shark and that led to the end of the series?

Bill

Pat said...

I love Dave Barry, too, but I was referring to the other article. I'll have to read the Barry one later.

Those are the two phrases I find annoying, too. And yes, that's where "jump the shark" comes from. Took me quite a while of seeing it before somebody explained it to me. And I used to watch HAPPY DAYS, at least sometimes.

Lady DR said...

First, Dona, continued prayers for you and the Shankster and hoping he doesn't ahve kidney stones. Please keep us posted. I know neither of you are enjoying this experience. (Hugs)

Bill, most of the words in the list don't bother me and some I admit to using, albeit mostly to myself. "Think outside the box" is a positive admonition for me. Win-win works for me. The others... I really don't hear them much, I guess.

Thanks for pointing me to the Dave Barry article. I really enjoy his warped humor and thought the best part of it was the "Bad News/Good News" intro, which - sadly - kinda tells it like it is.

I really didn't find a top story in 2009. Naturally, around here, Sanford's hike of the Appalachian trail was big news ad nauseum, while the PTB waffled about what to do. The only one to make a positive decision was his wife, who's filed divorce papers.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

If you thought that article was funny you are going to think the Dave Barry one is a scream.

I actually remember watching that episode of Happy Days. It was in front of a drive-in theater. There was an advertising sign shaped like a shark and it was a big build-up to The Fonz "jumping the shark." He didn't make it all the way over, if memory serves me.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I admit to using outside the box but I can't confess to win win. The author

The bad news/good news was right on. His take is usually right on and always done with humor.

Yea for Sanford's wife filing for divorce!!

Bill

Pat said...

I'm into the Barry article, which is a scream, as usual. Am sending it to Akkana and Dave, who are in the next room on their laptops.

Forgot the biggest story of 2009. Of course it was Obama.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I agree with you about the biggest story of the year. Definitely Obama in my eyes.

Hope Akkana & Dave enjoyed the Barry article!

Bill