Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Who Are You? Welcome to Gangland!

First the good story:

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/news/local/story/Adopted-Siblings-Reunited-After-80-Years/V7EI2bm7g0-ekRRKumS8uQ.cspx

To say I am happy the two day seminar is over would be an understatement. The time just drags on. Now the next day I need to get past is next Monday and the stress test.

I did get to see a couple of old friends. Larry, a long time friend, was one of the speakers. John, a fellow CPA who used to have an office in the same building that I did, created an uncomfortable situation for. Before the seminar John came up and shook my hand and said hi. I didn't remember him. Didn't have a clue who he was. He went on in to the class room and I went to my seat. For the next hour I tried to remember who this dude was that said hi. I even snuck out of the class room and went to the attendance roster to see if any name on it would spur the memory bank. Nope. Then at the morning break while I was outside stretching he came up to me again and for some reason all the bells and whistles went off and I remembered him! Then we had a really nice chat about the old times. He, one of the CPAs that bought my business the first time, and I became friends when I first opened up my office. I checked around for other CPAs in my office building and surrounding areas. Then I went around and introduced myself to them. First I went up to John's office on the third floor of the office building housing my office. Then I walked over to the industrial park next door where Bill's (the one that eventually bought my practice) office was. I basically told them not to worry that I wasn't out to steal their clients and that since we were geographically close to each other it would be nice if we became friends instead of enemies. We did become friends too. All three of us. Now the question is, what would you do if you were at an all day event and someone came up to you and acted like he was your best friend and you didn't have a clue who he was? Would you ask them who they were? Sorry, I don't remember you and you are? Would you avoid them until the day ended? I am really curious.

Next subject is South Central Los Angeles, now called South Los Angeles. In the forties it was basically the only place in the Los Angeles area that African-Americans could live. That was until restrictive covenants were banned in 1948's Shelley v. Kraemer Supreme Court Ruling. In the late 70's South Central LA, mostly Compton, became the originator of gangs. Crips and Bloods got their start there. A lot of you will remember the area from the Rodney King riots of 1992. What am I talking about the area now? Because I read a story in this morning's Oregonian about tours that are going to start of the area in January. L.A. Gangland Tours. The link below is to when the story first came out in the LA Times, written by Scott Gold. According to both articles the tour will cost sixty-five bucks. They are planning to have dance offs voted on by the tourists. They have scrapped the idea of having the tourists shot by water pistols and then given a t-shirt reading "I was shot in South Central." All the money from the tours will be funneled back into the area for redevelopment.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-southla-tours5-2009dec05,0,6167426.story

What do you think of a tour of the most violent area of a city? Where the most poverty is? Would you take the tour? I really can't answer the first two questions but I definitely would take the tour just out of curiosity.

Hope this is a great day for all. Congratulations to Dona who was the first one to send an entry in on the contest!

6 comments:

Pat said...

I had a similar experience when I was called back by the WALKER people to do a movie. I told them I couldn't do it, but since they were stuck (hadn't thought to assign a music editor for the spotting session) that I would do the preliminary work, but somebody else would have to cover editing and mixing.

So I showed up to the spotting session and was introduced to Teri, who would take over later. I did the usual "glad to meet you" thing and then went on to greet old friends. A bit later, I suddenly realized who Teri was. She used to be Steve, and I had worked with Steve back in the late 70s and 80s. How embarrassing! I had known about the sex change, but somehow hadn't made the connection.

So I took her aside and explained that I hadn't recognized her and certainly didn't mean to snub her in any way. She was quite relieved, having thought I had some grudge from all that time ago. We worked well together and we still email back & forth occasionally.

Pat said...

Forgot to comment on the South Central tour. I'm all for getting more money and jobs into that area, but the idea of the tour makes me a little queasy. I can just imagine how the residents of the area will feel about the gawkers on the buses, and the somewhat bitter jokes they will make of it.

I've driven through there, not regularly, but a couple of times, once when I got lost after getting off the freeway because of traffic. So I won't be taking the tour, but I wish them well and hope it does some good for the area. Most of it is just very modest dwellings of one sort or another -- not anything like the tours they mention of favelas and suchlike.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

That is where John & I left it too, we are going to get together for lunch. It is great that we were able to turn around what at first was a uncomfortable situation.

As the South LA tours I've been through the area several times but not for many years. I used to work on The corner of Roscrans and Western Avenue which was just a couple of blocks from where the Rodney King riots broke out. Also by mistake one time I ended up in Watts and was glad to get out of there.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Neat story about the family getting back together after so many years. I agree with the comment that adoption information needs to be relaxed. It's one thing when the child is ten or twelve, another when all the children are mature adults and still are unable to trace family.

The gangland tour is an interesting concept. If it brings reality to those who have no concept of what actually contributes to gangs and crimes and that reality results in positive impact, it's a good thing. I give those involved credit for trying to find ways to (a) raise consciousness and (b) bring mnoney into the "hoods" that could make positive changes in peoples lives.

As to the uncomfortable moment... I've not had it last all day, but I've too often run into people in the grocery or some public place who call me by name and act as though we're longlost buddies and I can not, for the life of me, figure out who they are or where I know them from. Often, I do get lucky and they make some comment that tips me off to at least where I know them from,if nothing else. Like past students, eventually commenting on something about the stress mgt classes or aquacize. What amazes me is the fact I can't place people when they aren't in the "place they belong."

Now, I'm off to turn in my homework (g), since we again have poer and warmth and internet connections.

William J. said...

Hi Dr

I also agree the adoption rules need to be relaxed. Especially if the adoptee gives their permission.

I also give credit to the Gangland Tours for being creative and thinking of new way to bring awareness to poverty and what leads to kids joining gangs.

I also often will not recognize someone "out of place", drives me nuts.

Got the homework, good job.

Bill

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.