Sunday, December 6, 2009

Update - The Week Behind, The Week Ahead.

The week behind, the week ahead:

Behind: Work project done. Letter re cousin reunion sent. Birthday dinner with family for brother-in-law. Mom to her primary care physician. Mom & I to heart doctor. Stress test scheduled. Leaf pickup started. Movie - Old Dogs (note: don't waste your time.) Two books read, one by Harlan Coban, one by J.A. Jance. Additional book bought by J.A. Jance to read during two day accounting seminar. Finished questions for blog contest. Re-started walking program as part of stress preparedness program.

Ahead: Today is breakfast with the boys and continuing leaf pickup. Also today prepare for cold spell. Monday and Tuesday is a two day accounting seminar. CPAs are required to have eighty hours of continuing education in a two year period. My two years are up June 30, 2010. Twenty-four hours in the books. Fifty-six hours to go, after Tuesday forty hours to go. Also on Monday and Tuesday, catch up on sleep but don't snore, it might annoy instructors. Lunch with Mom on Wednesday and taking her to close one bank account into another account. Purpose is to simplify her life. Thursday through Saturday start and finish Christmas Shopping.

Annoyance: Drawing names for Christmas when nobody follows it. Why waste the time?
Mom and sister worse offenders. Makes for pre-emptive Christmas shopping for me.

Entertainment Front. Amazing Race Finals tonight. Globetrotters sent packing last week. Interracial married couple is who I want to win. Annoying brothers will win. Maybe the dating couple will come in first, but I don't think the team in first place going into the finals has ever won The Amazing Race. An all male Top Chef final next Wednesday. Jennifer was sent home this week. She can cook for me anytime! I want Kevin to win. The annoying Michael V. will win. Maybe Michael's brother, Bryan, will sneak in there and steal the prize.

That is my update. Now give me yours.

PRACTICE QUESTIONS:

Last ones before contest. There is a good chance there will no blog post on Monday due to walking before seminar and then the seminar. If there is a blog post it will be a brief one with no practice questions.

YESTERDAY'S ANSWERS:

Whose "Gaelic Symphony" was the symphony performed by a woman in the United States? Mrs. H.H.A. Beach's

Who was the first woman consecrated as a bishop in the Episcopal Church?

Reverend Barbara C. Harris

Who was the first African-American Woman to become mayor of a major city in the United States? Small cities don't count.

Sharon Pratt Dix

TODAY'S PRACTICE QUESTIONS:

Who was the first Hispanic woman honored with a stamp?

Who was said to be the first Native American woman author?

What state had the first woman governor?

14 comments:

Pat said...

Behind: My first abusive customer at the library's used bookstore. Considered telling him I'm a volunteer and don't have to take abuse, but in the end just shrugged it off and took his money. Everyone at my mother's facility seems on the mend after a GI illness that only lasts a couple of days. Am I next? Stay tuned...

Ahead: Seeing a play today at a small local theater. Tomorrow our book group's annual December tea. No book to be read, just bring a cup, a teabag, a joke, and goodies if so inclined. From Tuesday on, I have no specifics I can remember, except the mom visits of course.

Need. To. Shop.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I think it is absolutely awful that you had an abusive customer while volunteering. I'd be attempted to ban him from future visits to the library. You shouldn't have to put up with that anytime let alone when you are voluntering.

I am glad your mom's facility is illness free and hope to heck that you don't get it.

The tea sounds fun. As does the play.

Bill

dona said...

Week Behind? Already forgot.

Week Ahead? Have no clue.

On the entertainment, I agree with your assessment. Although none of these were my picks from the start, it never goes my way.

Try to keep from snoring at the seminars. Keep up the walking.

And now, Why am I complicated?

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Because you have so many facets to your personality!


Bill

All good of course.

Mary said...

I have to renew before Jan. 15. I have all my hours in, but need to get my two hours of Ethics before I send in the form. Must take Ethics. So boring. They haven't changed the class in years. And I don't even have the luxury of reading a good mystery through it, because it's online, so I have to be reading the content! Darn it.

William J. said...

Hi Mary

We used to have to have four hours of ethics every other license period (an hour a year), now we have to have four hours every license period. I actually find it more interesting then the rest of the class.

The two day seminar will have some in ethics.

I will mostly only sleep or read during part of it.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Pat - An abusive customer at a library's used book store, manned by volunteers. I have to admit, I'm real curious as to what his malfunction was.

Mary - You obviously need to find a "live" ethics class, so you can enjoy a good book in the process.

Bill - Sounds like a busy and productive week. So, waht does Jance write? Glad you'll have a good book to read during the two day seminar -- that's always been what gets you through them (g). At least your family makes a pretense of drawing names. We continue to xchange gift cards and cash. So much fun to shop for and wrap.

Happening week, some of which I may have reported as it occurred. Lovely dinner out on Monday, to celebrate both our 24th anniversary and the closing of Himself's vinyl sign business. Line dance dress rehearsal, which was highly entertaining and God only knows what kind of improv we three "feature dancesrs" may end up doing, as we've no idea what size, shape or condition our audiences may be in. Luncheon for the dissertaion study group Friday - lots of food! Picked out frames and ordered glasses. Himself saw his optomitrist and was told he has the very beginning of dry macular degeneration in one eye, nothing to worry about, just keep an eye on. Given my experience with Mom, I am, of course, a bit less sanguine than the doctor. The conversion is complete, I've rearranged the office so I'm comfortable as well as functional, still going through learning curves. Very proud of myself for figuring out how to not only post on Craig's List, but include a photo (involved going around my left elbow and both ears, but what the hey!) Lots of organizational stuff and clutter cleanups and got all the paperwork filed to officially close business (I think, I hope!) Coming up... a new analysis project, LD show at Brighten Gardens, LD class and further rehearsal, dreaded mammogram, getting rig ready for the guys to go hunting on the 16th and stocking frig and freezer of same for five days.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Jance writes mysteries. She has three series going. One is about a lady sheriff, Joanna Brady, who became sheriff when her husband who was runnin for office was killed and she filled in for him on the ballot. It is set in Brisbee, Arizona. The second is about a former LA journalist and news anchor, Ali Reynolds, who moved to Sedona, Arizona after her husband was killed in the midst of a divorce and she got quite a bet of money. She investigates crimes on the side. The book I just started, Trial By Fire, Reynolds is feeling in temporarily as public relation person for a police department while the regular media person is being investigated for corruption. The third series is set in Seattle and is about a police detective, JP Beaumant. The Brady series is the best, imho.

Himself closed is vinyl sign business? Was that hard for him to do?

I look forward to hearing about the improv at the line dancing performance. Make sure Himself hits the eye doctor at least twice a year!

Are you selling things on Craig's List?

Good luck on the mammogram.

Bill

Lady DR said...

I definitely want to check out Jance! SOunds like my kind of stuff and always good to find a new-to-me mystery author.

Himself said closing the vinyl business was a bit like buying a boat. You thought the happiest day of your life was when you bought, then discovered the happiest day was when you sold it (g). He's delighted to be out of the business. (And as his accountant and business mgr, so am I!)

Hoping to sell on Craig's list. Remember, we bought Mom's recliners when she moved , which left us with four recliners, three side chairs, plus the TV and keyborad and all the musical eequipment in the FR. A bit crowded for floor space would be an understantment. Let's just say if the recliners don't sell quick-quick, there will be no big Christmas tree. If CL works, I've a raft of stuff to put up for sale, from a 12 place setting of Allegra china to a Yahama guitar to stuff inbetween.

Thanks for the good thouhts on the mammo. THey're inconvenient, uncomfortable, they're must be a better way, but necessary, with my familiy's history.

Pat said...

Bill, no, you shouldn't have to put up with rudeness as a volunteer or as anything else. There's no excuse for it. Well, maybe if the salesperson is rude, a little rudeness back is okay. {g} But we try to run it nicely and have customers want to come back, so I just smiled and shrugged him off.

DR, what happened was that he had piled a bunch of books on my desk and then went back to browsing the shelves. People do that all the time because they don't want to carry them around, so I just watch the pile for them until they make a final decision. They often put some back. He was incensed that I hadn't totaled up the prices before he returned with a couple more. Didn't want to hear any explanations. Quel jerk!

William J. said...

Hi DR

I think you would like Jance. Start with the Brady series first. The first one is Desert Heat I think.

I am glad you are both delighted with the closing of Himself's business, love his analogy.

Good luck on the recliners!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I wonder if they could put on the front door of the library, "All of the workers here are volunteers, we appreciate you treating them with the utmost of respect."

Bill

Mary said...

Oh, DR, if you haven't read Jance yet, do! I love her. I read all the Beaumont ones, some of the Brady ones, haven't gotten into the third series yet but I will.

Brady has a wonderful mother, given the discussions we've been having in the other place. Wonderful. I met Jance once at a book fair and complimented her on the portrayal of the mother. She laughed and said it's her mother. I liked her instantly.

William J. said...

Hi Mary

I didn't know you were a Jance fan!

Bill