Friday, January 1, 2010

Goals

I didn't make it until midnight last night. I fell asleep as soon as I finished J.A. Jance's novel, DEAD WRONG. I think I solved the mystery of why I didn't have a date last night, I didn't ask anyone.

Today it is over to Mom's this afternoon for a Rose Bowl watching party. Go Ducks.

Do you set goals as the New Year begins? I always do. Sometimes I even succeed in making them!

My goals for this year:

More happiness.

Less care giving.

Less weight.

More dating.

Less staying home.

More socializing.

Less procrastination.

More writing.

Better health.

Less fatty foods.

Being less of a Wuss.

More conquering of fears.

More travel.

As stated yesterday each day for the next ten or so days I will be posting one or two links a day to a previous blog entry. Then after all the posts are in, I will have you vote on your favorite ones. I am doing this so that new readers to the blog will have an easy way to find out what the blog is about. I am also doing it because it will help me decide what types of things to write about in the future.

Sometimes I spill my guts here. It is extremely hard to do but when I do I have never received as much support as I have here. There is no judgment here, just support. This is a post from way back when not many were reading my writings. It was the first time that I really bared my soul. I honestly didn't think anyone was reading the blog then. But the support that I got from this post made it easier for me to talk frankly about what was going on my life in future writings. Here is the post when I found out living scared me more than dying.

http://thedahnreport.blogspot.com/2008/01/living-vs-dying-part-ii.html

What are your goals fro 2010? What scares you more, living or dying?

12 comments:

Pat said...

I'm not afraid of death, but I am afraid of the process of dying. Would I want to know how it will happen? For my mom, yes, I'd like to prepare. For me? Nah, don't want to know. Yet.

Living doesn't scare me. I'm not sure I do it as well as I should. In fact, I know I don't. But my many lapses are not from fear. I guess they are just character flaws.

I don't have any particular goals for 2010. Well, to finally buy another car, but that's not much of a goal. I just want to get through it, having as much enjoyment out of it as I can.

Lady DR said...

Ah, Bill, I do remember that period in your life. I think I was reading the blog, but it could have been we were emailing.

Like Pat, I'm not afraid of dying, but the process. I want to just "go away" while meditating or sleeping. I don't want to cause pain or grief for loved ones, nor, quite frankly, do I want to experinece it myself.

Living doesn't scare me, although it sometimes frustrates me.

Goals for 2010 range from nebulous to more specific. Shed a lot of baggage, which I did in my mind when I took the 2010 MP journals out the shed (2009 wasn't a banner year for a lot of us). Get rid of the 'shoulds' and 'oughts' and guilt over not doing them and pay more attention to the 'wants' and not feel guilty for doin that. Dump the 'can't' thinking. I used to be the one who never said can't, but looked for how-to. Several years of exposure to 'can't' thinking has rubbed off and I want to listen to any and all suggestions and ideas and think about how to make them happen, without a 'can't' in my head. Will be making a wish list, without thinking about whether it's pie-in-the-sky or practical, that covers projects, dreams, travel, fun, creative endeavors, the whole spectrum.

Oh, and great enlightenment on why you didn't have a date last night (wry s). You don't ask for, you don't get. FWIW, I spent my share of NYEs alone. And you know what? Sometimes I was more "alone" when I was with the wrong person or group of people than when I really was by myself.

Lady DR said...

Bill, so sorry about the Rose Bowl results. We just finished watching and I did my share of yelling "Go, Ducks." Given the number of players coming back next year, I'll bet they'll be major contenders and with a bit more experience.

(Hugs)

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I am not even afraid of the process of dying but I am afraid of being a burden to someone.

I don't live as well as I should but a lot of it is from fear and some of it is out of laziness.

I hope 2010 brings you the perfect car!!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I think it was because of the emailing because you didn't come to the blog until later.

I would either like to die in my sleep or shot by a jealous husband.

Sometimes living frustrates me too!

I think since I have known you, you have always cleaned out the old to get ready for the new.

Should vs oughts is a great goal. As is dumping the can't thinking.

When I lived in the LA area we always went out for New Year's eve but since moving to Oregon I went out once on the famous night. Went to a mystery theater audience particpant dinner.

And you are right you can be more alone with people sometimes than you are by yourself!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

The Ducks were outcoached and outplayed. They mad way to many mistakes. The deserved to lose and Ohio State deserved to win.

Next year I think we may play for the national championship with 39 of the top 44 players returning!

We did have a very nice time watching the game with snacks and company.

Bill

Lady DR said...

They did make some pretty telling mistakes, unfortunately. But they're a realtively new team. I'll continue to cheer them on next year. While we're not great football fans, we have discovered we like college ball much better than pro.

SymplyAmused said...

Hi Bill,
I'm not afraid of dying but I am afraid of leaving the kidlet alone to wonder what happened to me. My goals for 2010 is just to be able to keep working and supporting us without any major health traumas. I don't even wish to find anyone..sad isn't it? I hope you have a great New Year and things go well for you and yours...

William J. said...

Hi DR

I like both college and pros but am a lot less obsessive about it then I used to be.

Ohio State had the ball for 48 minutes, we had it for 12. Considering that it is amazing we were as close as we were.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Symply!!

Good to see you and Happy New Year!!!

Sometimes when you don't want to find someone is exactly when you do.

Bill

SymplyAmused said...

I keep hearing that, Bill. It's been over 9 years so I think I'm safe... : )

William J. said...

Hi Symply

Rumor has it that there is a first time for everything, even after nine years!

Bill