Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Connections

Here is part two of the series of articles written by Stephen Mayes in the Oregonian about the abused twelve year-old. This is when the dad faces the judge and shows no remorse. Tomorrow inspired by Ashley's story the prosecutor forms a charitable foundation to help abused children.

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2010/01/abused_girl_12_confronts_accus.html

I had a childhood so unlike Ashley's, it makes me sad that I knew friends and had experiences she never will. My childhood is coming to the forefront this Thursday.
When I was a child we lived on a very small farm. All of us kids had our own horses. Bro had Calico, Sis had Princess, and I had a little Shetland Pony named Dolly. When you live in the country you really don't have many neighbors. Our main neighbors where Boyd and Maxine and their two kids, Tammy and Bill. Both our families used to go on rides together. My parents became really good friends with Boyd and Maxine and of course we became friends with Tammy and Bill. Our families often had meals together. We often had work parties together. We often went on rides together. We went trick or treating together. I remember more than once either Boyd or Dad pulling us on sleds behind their horses. I remember our families once working together carry buckets of water to help put out a fire in another neighbor's barn. We were neighbors. We were friends. We were as close as families can be. Maxine and my Mom share the same birthday month, January. A couple of weeks ago my Mom got a call from Tammy and what Maxine wanted for her birthday was to see my Mom. So, Maxine, Tammy, and Tammy's daughter will be here this Thursday to have a joint celebration with Mom. Of course Mom can't navigate the waters without sister or me and since sis is tied up with deadlines remodeling their house I am going to be head navigator. They are arriving Thursday and returning Saturday. I really want to do the for Mom. Maxine and Mom haven't seen each other in over fifteen years. This could be their last opportunity. Like me, Tammy is the caregiver for her Mom. Unlike me Tammy has a very supportive spouse. It is going to be really good to see Tammy. Sometimes it is good to connect to childhood friends and get in touch with your roots.

I will try to post daily blog entries while Maxine and Tammy are here but won't make any promises because I don't know what the schedule will be. I just know I really want to make the three days special for Mom and Maxine. They have been friends for over fifty years. How special is that? How often do we really get a chance to help old friends connect?

Dona once said that some of her favorite postings were the tributes I did to either my Mom or Dad. Since Mom and Maxine were both mothers to me, today's old post is a tribute to mothers I wrote a couple of years ago on Mothers' Day.

http://thedahnreport.blogspot.com/2008/05/tribute-to-mothers.html

Do you have childhood friends that you would like to connect to? Do your elderly parents have friends from long ago that you would want to support a reunion with? And do you think the sentence of Ashley's dad was enough? He will most likely be in prison the rest of his life. I am not sure even that is enough.

7 comments:

dona said...

First off, I think the sentence for Ashley's dad was not near enough, although what would be? It is sad what some people are doing to innocent children thinking all along there is nothing wrong with it. I also have lived in my own little world thinking things like this happened far far away, only to have it pushed in my face daily any more.

As for your long time friends visiting, I think you should not even give the blog one thought and enjoy the few days you have with them to catch up and make it just as special as you can. Fifty years is special! Just come back and update us on all the fun times~

Lady DR said...

While they didn't do an evaluation, it seems to me the dad has some mental issues, given his entire lack of remorse and seeming inability to understand what he did. Life in prison is too good for him, as you said.

Like you, I can't imagine the childhood Ashley had. Mine was so full of good things and good people, even though I sometimes chafed at small town life as a teen.

How neat that Maxine and your mom will have time together, after all these years. If we don't see you on the blog, we'll know you're all having a great time together. There won't be enough hours to relive memories and good times and post -- we'll manage, Bill. Just have fun!

Thanks for reposting the Thanks to Mom blog.

I have several childhood/high school friends I'd like to reconnect with and that's happening very slowly on Facebook, ironically. At least I'm catching up with a few familiar names.

One of the highlights of Mom's
90th b-day reception was being able to track down and contact a woman who'd been a tupperware dealer with Mom, gone to be a distributor and with whom she'd exchanged Christmas cards. Sharon & Dave had moved to NC and I found their phone number and was able to invite them to the reception. The three hadn't seen each other in over 20 years, altho they'd talked on the phone occasionally. S&D came early and we got Mom upstairs early for the reunion, before everyone else arrived. Then, they were able to stay for a couple hours or so after the reunion and catch up. I think it made Mom's day to have them there and they never left her side, sharing "her" table with Aunt Dorothy.Mom really doesn't like surprises, but she forgave me this one.

Pat said...

First, Bill, just enjoy your time. Of course we shall all be devastated if there's no blog up, but we'll live. {eg}

Happily, my childhood was nothing like Ashley's. I'm sure my father would have been horrified at the very thought. The heartbreaking thing is when she says she still loves him. He is one sick puppy, undeserving of her love, and I hope he stays in jail every minute of the 58 years.

There are several friends from many years past that it might be fun to make contact with, but finding them might be a life's work, so I just go on from where I am. There are just two from h.s. days that I'm still in touch with, tho' from a distance. One a friend and one a teacher who just turned 90 but is mentally as sharp as ever.

William J. said...

Hi Everyone

Love your posts, am at Mom's tonight so will respond individually in the morning when I return home.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

This is one of those rare instances where I would have went with the prosecutor and gave him 400 years without parole so there would be no chance in hell that this idiot ever saw the light of day. Had he shown any remorse what so ever my opinion might have changed.

For the three days the friends are here blog will be secondary but evenings and mornings I will be available, it just depends on how tired I am.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I think there is no doubt that the dad is a narcisst (sp) but I think he is mentally capable of knowing right from wrong and he deserves any punishment he gets. Maybe the other prisoners will take care of the punishment.

I am glad some of the connections are happenning for you on facebook.
Those things do take time.

I love the story of reconnection on your Mom's 90th birthday. And who wouldn't forgive you for that surprise!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I'm relieved to no end to know that nobody will die if I don't post a blog entry while my friends are here.

It was hearbreaking when Ashley said she still loved her dad. I hope he gets in trouble in prison and his sentence is extended.

I love the stories of older people being mentally sharp!

Bill