Friday, January 15, 2010

Dead Flowers & Dead Weight

Before a couple of news articles I came across wanted to update you on the reunion of Mom and her friend Maxine. We had dinner last night at Rose's and it went really well. It was really good to see Tammy, Maxine's daughter, after such a long time. She looked really good and her daughter, Nikki, was a real treat. Mom had a great time. On the agenda today is a manicure for Mom and Maxine and dinner at McCormick's tonight. I am already tired! But I will catch up on my rest after tomorrow afternoon.

First article is about teen and weight loss surgery. Apparantly it is new trend among teens. Here is the full article:

http://www.parentdish.com/2010/01/12/controversial-weight-loss-surgery-center-for-teens-opens/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl5|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.parentdish.com%2F2010%2F01%2F12%2Fcontroversial-weight-loss-surgery-center-for-teens-opens%2F

Personally, I am all for antying that will improve the teens health and/or self-image is fine by me! How do you feel? Is teens having weight loss surgery a good thing or a bad thing?

The next article was about a business in Los Angeles that gives you a way to get even with a former partner that has treated you poorly. The business is a new delivery service called "Dirty Rotten Flowers." For twenty-five bucks you can send dead flowers to a scumbag and you can send the flowers anywhere in the nation. Personally, I think this is a bad idea. Once you breakup with someone move on. Don't give them the satisfaction that they are taking up space in your mind. I have told several friends if you are going to let so and so take up so much mind space you should charge them rent. It will be interesting to see if this business succeeds. What do you think of the new business? A good idea that will allow someone to take the final step to move on. Or a bad idea because you should move on and not give the ex the satisfaction? Here is the full article:

http://www.lemondrop.com/2010/01/13/get-dumped-new-service-lets-scorned-lovers-send-dead-rotting-f/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl5|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lemondrop.com%2F2010%2F01%2F13%2Fget-dumped-new-service-lets-scorned-lovers-send-dead-rotting-f%2F

Hope this is a great day for you!

6 comments:

Pat said...

I think the dead flowers thing is funny. And I might consider sending some if the circumstances were just right. As a kind of final goodbye. Preferably to the person's place of business, so they'd be seen by other people.

As to bariatric surgery for teens, I really don't know. But I probably wouldn't do it for a kid of mine, at least not without a lot of serious research. There are lots of things that change with such surgery, and things that need to be watched, maybe for life. Plus, any surgery carries risk that I wouldn't allow, certainly not until I knew every other avenue had failed utterly. OTOH, I've heard people talk about it being the most wonderful thing that ever happened to them, so again, I just don't really know, and I'm very happy that I don't have to make that decision.

Lady DR said...

Glad to hear the "girls" are having fun. How great they're getting manicures, one of Mom's favorite luxuries, to which she rarely treats herself.

Bariatric surgery for teens - I'm ambivilant and I have a nephew who is severely obese. I also have an acquaintance who had it and was/is absolutely thrilled. My ambivilance comes largely from the standpoint of committment. My friend had truly tried almost every avenue, with little success and always regaining the weight. She went through extensive counseling and cognitive therapy before the surgery, as surgery alone doesn't solve the problem. If you don't "follow the rules" afterwards, you can, as I understand it, gradually stretch you stomach and end up overweight again, headed down the same path. She was committed. After the sugery, she continued with support groups and therapy for some time. Her major motivation to follow all the post-surgery guidelines was the fact she was able to do things - dance, wear nice clothes, take hikes - she hadn't been able to do for years. Can a young teen make that kind of committment? Some yes, some probably not. Another huge factor was the support she got from her husband, children and family and friends. I'd look at the surgery as last resort to resolve health issues and believe the decision would have to made on a very individual basis, after a lot of research and testing and therapy sessions, to determine the probability of ultimate success.

As to the dead flowers. Mostly I'm with you -- living well is the best revenge and that means getting the badster out of your life and your thoughts. OTOH, if someone needs a sense of closure, it may be an action that lets them dust off their hands and say, "That's the end of it." Who knows. I do agree with Pat about sending it to the office (evil g)

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Sending the dead flowers to work is an evil idea. I like it.

I don't think I would do the bariatric surgery for my teens either. I would try to find other ways to work on their self-image. But if other parents made that decision for their teens I would probably support it.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Mom has never had a professional manicure before. Her first one was yesterday.

I think the surgery for teens should be viewed on a case by case basis. For some teens it might be the only answer. For other teens it might be really destructive.
I like your friend's story and I think support is the key in anything that requires commitment.

You and Pat are truly evil to think of sending the flowers to work. No wonder I like you.

Bill

Rose said...

Nice blog. Just gone through your blog "Dead Flowers & Dead Weight" and found it to be wonderful. It was worth of time going through your blog. Keep it up the good work.

William J. said...

Hi Rose

What a great way to start out my day!!!!!

Thanks so much for you nice words.

I do hope you will stick around, you will find some really great women that post here and are among the most supportive people in the blog world.

Thank you again

Bill