Sunday, January 3, 2010

Drowning, Comfort Zones, and Movies

Continuing the vote on the old posts game plan, sometimes when I am considering making a decision that I am sure if go ahead with I will drown, before making that leap I ask your advise and you usuually push me in the lake:

http://thedahnreport.blogspot.com/2008/08/should-i-go-out-of-my-comfort-zone.html

Which leads to me not only keeping my head above water but to a major life moment that wouldn't have been possible without the support of everyone here:

http://thedahnreport.blogspot.com/2008/09/week-3-major-life-moment.html

Since this is usually Update Day and I have nothing to update you on I am going to do an entertainment update in the form of really brief reviews of three movies that I went to last week.

Directed by Nancy Myers IT'S COMPLICATED is about a woman with three kids (Streep) having an affair with her ex-husband (Baldwin) who is now married to a much younger woman. In addition Streep is being wooed by an architect her same age (Martin). The acting is top notch. There are a lot of funny scenes. In a movie with greats like Streep, Baldwin, and Martin the movie ends up belonging to John Krasinski. It isn't even close who steals this movie. It is no doubt stolen by Krasinski (The Office). He shines in the role of Streep's future son-in-law. Martin is kind of wasted in a role that you wish was a little larger. Baldwin is likable but restrained. Three Stars. Two for Krasinki, One For Streep. See if for Ktasinski's performance alone.

Based on the comic book character by the same name Arthur Conan Doyle's SHERLOCK HOLMES is directed by Guy Ritchie and stars Robert Downey, Jr. (Sherlock, Jude Law (Watson), and Rachel McAdams (Irene Adler, Sherlock's love interest, The movie was a major disappointment. In movie with major acting talent over half of the movie was fight scenes. Well not really scenes, the same scene played over and over again. What an extreme waste of acting talent. When there was dialogue is was great but thre just wasn't enough of it. McAdams didn't give her best performance. Two stars. One for Downey, JR and one for Jude Law. The sequel needs a new director.

From director Clint Eastwood, INVICTUS tells the true story of how Nelson Mandela (Morgan Freeman) joined forces with the captain of South Africa's rugby team, Francois Pienaar (Matt Damon), to help unite their country. An extremely inspiring movie with great acting, marvelous directing, amazing rugby scenes, great music, and thought provoking scenes. When the rugby team is given a tour of the prison where Nelson Mandela spent many years, Damon stands in Mandela's vacant cell and imagines what it must have been like for him, so do you, Damon puts you right there. When Morgan Freeman is on the screen he quits becoming Freeman and magically right before your very eyes he becomes Nelson Mandela. Like THE BLIND SIDE, it is a movie for the entire family. Five Stars. One for Eastwood, one for Freeman, one for Damon, one for the music, and one for the amazing cinematography.

Questions of the day, have you ever felt you were going to drown until friends pushed you into the ocean and then you not only didn't drown you discovered something about yourself? Since this is your day on the blog what is going on in your life? And since it is your day post anything you damn well please!!

14 comments:

Pat said...

Now testing an update of software on Sparrow, my little netbook. No time to blather, but in general, have to say that friends haven't pushed me into the deep end. When I've ventured there, I usually pushed myself. And it usually turned out to be a good thing. Usually.

We are having a fairly quiet final day of the Christmas visit, and will be going out to dinner soon. Otherwise, nothing much to report.

Lady DR said...

Ah, yes, I remember your hesitation and your surprise at how much you enjoyed taking the leap. I think the only things friends pushed me into was taking out the first ad to start the editorial business and look where that's led.

A scattered week. Finished reading the romance ms and now need to figure out how to salvage it. Have several clients to get scheduled (this is a good thing). Cleared out closets and drawers and have large box to take to Hope Chest. Did two more kitchen cupboards and, when the rest are done, will have another large box for the Hope Chest. We just have too much "stuff," no matter where you look. Dealing with Spook's allergic reaction to fleas - hopefully, we have that under control, although it's been time consuming. Nice holiday weekend, with two lovely meals, thanks to Himself's grilling talents. I think if we could have grilled something every night, with a salad, with the occasional spaghetti or lasagna or crockpot roast thrown in, I'd be quite happy.

Please send positive vibes to AZ and CA. Talked to Mom Friday night. My youngest sister's water heater died, five days after it went out of warranty, youngest and middle sis spent New Years Day in Urgent Care and ER, diagnosis, Rho has gall bladder problems. They reluctantly allowed her to fly home that night, with lots of qualifying instructions. Oldest nephew hit black ice on way to work in early morning, skidded into an ice birm, rolled SUV, $16K damage. Praise the Lord, he walked away from it, abeit stiff and sore. The hope is insurance will total the car, as it's not worth that much. They all need prayers and positive vibes. Thanks!

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Hope the software testing goes well! I kind of thought you might be a self-pusher!

I hope the final day of the Christmas visit was great and peaceful.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I didn't know friends had pushed you into the editorial business!

Having clients is sometimes a good thing.

The Hope Chest is going to appreciate your cleansing project!

I hope Spook has conquered his flea problem. Poor thing, that has to drive him nuts.

Of course positive vibes, prayers and good thoughts are sent Az and Ca direction. Seems like they have had to much to bear. I am hoping for a water heater sale, that the gall bladder problem isn't serious enough to require surgery, glad your nephew wasn't hurt but ouch and hope he finds a reasonably priced car or that insurance pays for it, and to your mom that she handles the stress like a champ!

Bill

Unknown said...

Hello Bill,
I just want to wish you and everyone here a Happy New Year. All the best for 2010.

William J. said...

Hi Snug

And a Happy and reward 2010 to you and yours!!!!!!!


Bill

Lady DR said...

Actually, my critique group told me I should be doing analysis and line editing for profit, not just for them, which is how I started the business.

Having clients is a Very Good Thing, if I can figure out how to not let them interfere with my plans for my life (wry s).

Deb's checking water heaters, Rho is fine and has yet to see her doctor and agrees the price quoted her by the plumber is way higher than reality dictates. Jimy is fine - he was out snow-boarding today. Insurance did total the carm, but won't pay anything close to what it will cost to replace it with even a used car, which is pretty much usually the case (auto and casualty insurance working much like health insurance).

I think we've got the flea issue under control, but it'll be a few more days before we're more ceratin. We're now using my allergy salves on areas that are still problematic, as we can't find a flea anywhere and the vet she might be highly allergic to as much as a single flea bite. There are times I wish our critters could talk, believe me!

Snug, good to see you again. Hope all is well with you and yours and taht 2010 is a happy and healhty year for all of you.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Didn't have time to post an entry yesterday due to some extra household problems.

Just tell your clients the game plan up front and tell them your whole life isn;t them! Now if I could follow my own advise.

I hate insurance companies.

If the critters could talk we could so do a better job of knowing when they are suffering and where they are suffering.

Bill

Anonymous said...

hellopeople this is a great forum hope im welcome :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome topic dude!
This is because why i like this website so much!

Anonymous said...

hello everybody

I just thought it would be good to introduce myself to everyone!

Can't wait to start some good conversations!

-Marshall

Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

hey


great forum lots of lovely people just what i need


hopefully this is just what im looking for looks like i have a lot to read.

Anonymous said...

hi everybody


just registered and put on my todo list


hopefully this is just what im looking for looks like i have a lot to read.

Anonymous said...

I love it! The Best Place to Chill and Talk About Anything on Your Mind. Everything and Anything abou car insurance, movies, music, tv, food. I love great tips and easy to find information.