Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Dangerous Dictionary?

Slowly getting in the frame of mind that I need to be in when I start my annual trek into the work force. I think I might even enjoy having a place to go. At least for a while. Usually by April 15 I am ready to go back to my two favorite occupations of educated bum and future lottery winner.

Today on the blog I am bringing two news stories to your attention for either discussion, ignoring, or head shaking.

First up is that the dictionary is warping minds. Did you know that? Schools in Southern California have banned Webster's Dictionary. Why? Because it defines oral sex. It just begs the question that if they banned the dictionary for that reason how in the world is their history class going to discuss the Bill Clinton Impeachment? You can read the article here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/jan/25/oral-sex-dictionary-ban-us-schools

Do you agree with the ban? Or are you on the side of the parent that was quoted in the article as saying:

"It is not such a bad thing for a kid to have the wherewithal to go and look up a word he may have even heard on the playground," father Jason Rogers told local press. "You have to draw the line somewhere. What are they going to do next, pull encyclopedias because they list parts of the human anatomy like the penis and vagina?"

I am on the father's side. Wouldn't finding that information in a book make it easier for the student to come home and talk it over with their parents? Or do you think the misinformation on the playground is the way to go? It also begs the question, is a fourth or fifth grader to young to have "the talk:" with?

Next up is to let you know that on February 9 from 6 A.M. to 2 PM you can have a free breakfast. Denny's is giving away their grand slam breakfast during those hours on that day. Read about it here:

http://www.slashfood.com/2010/01/29/dennys-to-announce-grand-slam-giveaway-during-super-bowl/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl4|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.slashfood.com%2F2010%2F01%2F29%2Fdennys-to-announce-grand-slam-giveaway-during-super-bowl%2F

While breakfast is one of my favorite meals I envision a line a mile long at most Denny's. While I might stand in a line that long for some things, like a winning lottery ticket or a date with Ashley Judd, I am not going to stand in line for what may be hours just to say I had a free breakfast. If I get an urging for the grand slam I will just pay the $4.99 or whatever the price is on a day when the sign as you come in the door says "seat yourself."

How about you? Standing in line for a free breakfast? Or wait until there is little or not wait and pay the full price?

Hope you didn't have to wait to long in line to get to the blog.

4 comments:

Lady DR said...

Warning: Rant coming...

This is one of the ridiculous ideas I've heard of in some time. Pulling a dictionary, because it defines oral sex, a term we say in newspapers and on TV for how long? I see they're going to be reviewing for more inappropriate words. They'll find plenty. My Webster's New World is never more than an arm's length away. A quick check shows it includes definitions of genitals, penis, sex, sex appeal, sexual intercourse. It doesn't contain the "F" word, but that's probably because it circa 1995I agree with the dad who asked if encyclopedias were next on the list.

Kids are curious. If they're in an environment where they hear these words, they need to know what they mean and many can't go to parents. A dictionary is a kid's (and adult's) best friend. It answers questions, teaches you to spell, lets you find new words to use in place of old, worn out ones. Are we going to bann the Bible, because of some of the passages in the Songs of Solomon?

From the time I was old enough to read and write, if I asked what a word meant or how to spell a word, the standard response was "Look in the dictionary and come back if you can't find it or figure it out." As a result, testing showed I had a more extensive vocabulary than kids several grades ahead of me, even when I was in second grade. I'm convinced this is a result of time spent with the dictionary.

To take dictionaries away from children in the schoolroom is one of the biggest disservices we can do them and only contributes to our current "dumbing down" practices. Oh, they could demand special dictionaries "they" deemed age appropriate, but that's not going to stop the kids having questions about things they hear on the play ground or overhear adults talking about or stuff they hear or see on television or in video games and the like. Given children's imaginations, I think an unaswered question is a dangerous thing. If they don't get a "real" answer, they're going to make one up. I truly hope this issue gets stopped in its tracks and soon. (Putting away soapbox and temper tantrum)

Standing in line for a free meal? Filet mignon with bernaise sauce, at Okochobee Steakhouse, maybe (g). A grand slam at Denny's, when the weather is cold and windy? Not so much.

Pat said...

About the dictionary, what DR said. Everything she said.

And about standing in line, I'll go with DR there, too. I don't stand in line for anything unless I'm absolutely forced to, and a Denny's breakfast doesn't even come close to qualifying.

William J. said...

Hi DR

When I posted the dictionary ban I was hoping for one of your rants!

I love the passion with what you tackled the ban.

And of course I agree with everything you said.

And when kids are in the fourth and fifth grade they should already have had "the talk" in my humble opinion!

Thanks again for the passionate rant!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Whe should let DR write a letter to the school district.

And I am with you about standing in line!

Bill