Sunday, January 17, 2010

Dancing On Tables.

This is the day you update me on your life and tell me not only what went on in your life last week but also what is on the agenda next week.

I filled you in on my life yesterday with the reunion report but I did forget to mention that I learned something about Mom that falls under the category of I am glad I didn't have the information before now. Maxine told of the time that she and Mom danced on a table at a restaurant. I am still trying to picture my Mom doing that and I really can't fathom my Mom up on a table dancing. The secrets these two women hold!!

Has life ever got busy for me. First the reunion. Tonight is The Golden Globes. Then on the agenda for next week is taking Mom to the foot doctor tomorrow and while there is my semi-annual minor foot surgery. Tuesday I have an all day seminar. It is one that I can't sleep in either because the firm that I am going to work for paid for it. I've actually got to listen most of the eight hours. I'm not sure I can do that but then I wasn't sure I could handle Mom dancing on tables. Wednesday is taking Mom to the DMV to renew her handicap certificate. No doubt a couple of hours if we are lucky. Thursday is Mom's birthday. I know there will be some plans there. She wants dinner and a movie for her birthday and that is what I am getting her. Friday it is taking my Mom to the eye doctor. Saturday my favorite cousins are coming up from Albany to take, Mom, Sister, Sister's husband, and yours truly to lunch for Mom's birthday. I have one other thing on the agenda, I just don't when we will fit it in but Mom's friend Marion and her husband, Rod, want to take Mom to dinner for her birthday. I have to call them later today. I'm thinking maybe I'll convince them to do it the following week!

Just a very touching story about Haiti before I turn the blog over to you. Two young University of Portland graduates were in Haiti for The Friends of Orphans when the earthquake hit. Rachel Prusynski and Molly Hightower were in the same building at the time of the earthquake. Right before the quake hit Rachel had to go to the top floor of the building and when the quake hit the building crashed. She was covered with debris but because she ended up on the outside of the building rescuers found her. She is now home in Idaho. Molly, however, didn't survive. Here is a column by the Oregonian's Steve Duin in memory of Molly.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/steve_duin/index.ssf/2010/01/molly_hightower_in_her_name_ta.html

The blog is now yours. Tell me everything. Got any dirt on anyone? I'm all ears. Post anything you darn well please! It is your day.

4 comments:

Lady DR said...

Mom, dancing on a table? It does rather boggle the mind (g)!

I see it's doctor and duty merry-go-round time again, with visits and DMV and all of them being time consuming. Perhaps you should consider taking up knitting for the waiting period. Good thing there's fun stuff in there, too.

Such a touching story about the gal in Haiti. I suspect, as time goes on, many of us will find we know people who know people who know people who...

No dirt on nobody. Lots of editorial hours. Lots of strange editorial reqauests. They start with, "I've just finished my ms, how much will you charge to edit it?" (That's the entire query, no word count, idea of what he/she wants, genre, nothing) They get stranger from there. Picking away at cupboards and cabinets. Slow process. Attended the services for the woman who lived across the hall from Mom. Very simple and touching. Sue had eight brothers and sisters, all living here, and I've lost count of regular and grand nieces and nephews. All were very active in the Mormon church, so the entire service was done by some member of the family. The week's adventure was a fire in the basement of the PAC, which sent those of us in the pool directly outside into 37 degrees and a slight breeze, wet, in swimsuits, nothing but a towel. Fortunately, I had my gym bag poolside and had my car keys, so I trekked the half block to the parking lot, got the car, gathered up the other three women (ages 70-84, two somewhat disabled) and we camped out with the heater going full blast. No one could leave, as all our clothes were in the locker room and no one else had car keys. After 35 minutes, the minor spark fire in the basement was put out, we were let back in the building and finished our workouts -- and, boy!, did that 85 degree pool feel good! Best news is no one suffered any ill affects.

Hope you all had a good week. Been pretty quiet here. Dona, is the Shankster all recovered and back on the top burner? Snug, hope your parents are doing okay. The Marys have been least in site, as has Kaye and everyone else.

Pat said...

Those moms will surprise you with their wild pasts, won't they? Good for your mom!

Your schedule sounds every bit as harrowing as when you didn't have help, so where's the help in all this, I have to ask.

The story about the 22 y/o girl in Haiti is heartbreaking in just so many ways.

Next week for me is very quiet, and may be more so because we're supposed to get 3 to 5 rainstorms in a row, with rain all week. We had an excursion to an outdoor shopping area scheduled, but that may not happen if it rains that day. Then there's the friend I have coffee and exchange books with, always at the outdoor tables at Starbucks. That may not happen, either. But that's okay, I'm happy because my furnace got fixed and I'm nice and warm again. As always, I have mom to visit and plenty of books to read. There's also a ton of housework needing to be done, but you'll notice I almost didn't even mention that. Will any of it get done? Good question.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Mary is in tax season, it starts earlier for her then it does for me. We can't file tax returns in Oregon until an election is finalized next week because they made some increased retroactive to last year. So mine is slow starting.

Kaye's Mom is in Hospice and isn't really doing that well, the are giving Kaye end of life booklets so I am sure she is undergoing a ton of emotions.

Believe it or not the doctors we go too really don't keep us waiting that long. Mom's eye doctor is close to the hospital with a nice cafeteria, got a book and will go down there. They also have a nice chapel which will give me the opportunity to reconnect with the person upstairs.

Gosh you can find out how to write a quiery on Google! Sorry about your mom's friend, sounds like she was very well loved and respected.

Wow, what fast thinking after the fire! Those ladies are lucky you were there for the fire!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

The foot doctor is a joint appointment for mom and I so the help isn't needed. Mom prefers me to take her to the eye doctor because then we can have lunch. The birthday day and the cousins lunch I would do anyway. And the seminar I am the only poor sucker that has to do that. The only thing the Help could take over on is the DMV but they have some people coming to their house to install cabinets that day.

It was raining there at the Golden Globes last night. All the stars were worried about their hair. Good thing they don't live in Oregon! We would even go to an outdoor mall in the rain.

Glad you got your furnace fixed and admire you for all you do for your mom.

Housekeeping and haircut will be fit in today and DMV day.

Bill