Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Inspiration And Cash

There has been a lot of inspiration in my life lately. A couple of immensely inspirational movies in INVICTUS AND THE BLIND SIDE, and in addition an inspirational talk with my niece about writing. When I went over the old blog entries to continue the posting of old blog entries to see what strikes your fancy I came across a post about whether you received inspiration from men or women. That is what happens on the blog a lot, I will make a passing comment, then someone will give me their perspective and it turns into an interesting discussion. This is the post that came from the comment that generally I receive my inspiration from women. Remember to read the comments because what makes any post on the blog is your comments:

http://thedahnreport.blogspot.com/2008/08/who-inspires-you.html

Today let's talk about where you get your inspiration instead what gender you get it from. Are you an introvert? Which is defined by the Myer's-Brigg's as someone who gets their energy from within themselves. Does that translate into getting inspiration for within? Or are you an extrovert? Defined by the Myer's-Briggs as someone who gets their energy from others? Does that translate to getting your inspiration from others?

I am an introvert by the above definition. Being around others for a long period of time zaps me. After a while I need to withdraw into my cocoon and recharge my batteries. I do at times get my inspiration from myself. However, I will at times get it from books, movies, relatives, television, coffee discussions, and sometimes others.

Briefly on to another subject. The four letter word, cash. Following is a really interesting article:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/01/05/freezing-out-plastic-the-journey-to-living-cash-only/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl8|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.walletpop.com%2Fblog%2F2010%2F01%2F05%2Ffreezing-out-plastic-the-journey-to-living-cash-only%2F

This is surprising because I mostly use cash. I do use plastice for tax deductible items so that I have a record of my deductions. However, for groceries, movies, and normal life expenses. Do you? Are you a cash kind of person or does plastic rule?

Looking forward to you telling where you get your inspiration and whether or not cash rules your life.

May this be an inspirational day for you!

14 comments:

Mary Z said...

We mostly pay for things with credit cards, and pay all in full with each billing. Basically the same as cash for us, without having to carry money around.

Hope all are staying warm. It's BBBRRRRRR cold here (lows in the teens) with snow predicted for tomorrow. So much for the sunny south.

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

We had our cold spell early in December and a one day snow storm after Christmas. Right now we are in the fifties, which is high for this time of year.

Hope it warms up for you!

Bill

Pat said...

I now do as Mary Z does. Mostly credit cards, paying them off every month. I do use cash for smaller purchases, but the weekly food-shopping bill has gotten high enough that I use a card rather than keep going to the bank for more cash. As a rule of thumb, anything much over $20 gets a card, but I use cash in restaurants.

I'd call myself an introvert, and when I get inspiration, which is extremely rare, it's usually not from other people. Nor from inside myself, but from something I've read or heard or seen.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Since you and are alike in many ways it doesn't surprise me that your are an introvert. You are very sociable in a group but I am guessing like me you like smaller gatherings better than larger ones.

Mom's rule of thumb is ten bucks, over ten bucks it goes on a credit card.

Bill

dona said...

Ok I guess I am the odd one out here as I prefer to pay with cash....although there is some mounting evidence that I also use plastic often...:)

I would call myself an introvert also and do like smaller groups rather than the large ones...but you would probably find me sitting alone in the corner at either place.

Bill, I am glad you are staying warm, but I am freezing here(has been in the single digits lately) and looks as though we are going to get several inches of snow tomorrow as well. But that is ok...I do love me some snow.

William J. said...

Hi Dona

We really are twins. I would be standing in the corner next to you.

STAY WARM

I am hoping our cold weather is behind us.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Fun to go back and read the previous blog, Bill. Glad you're sharing them.

I fall right on the fence on the Myers-Brigg, probably because I'm a Virgo/Leo with a Gemini ascendant (g). I think I get the majority of my inspiration from myself, mostly through my morning pages, but, at the same time, the line dance class is important to me, in terms of group interaction and creating a certain kind of energy. Maybe because it involves light interaction and a lot of movement and fun everyone is involved in. I prefer smaller groups to larger and when I've had a week of a lot of running, I want to withdraw onto the property and not leave the grounds for a couple days. I used to be more extroverted, but I now prefer lunch with one or two friends to group lunches and prefer having a couple in for dinner to throwing a party.

Cash or credit... a mix for me. I do groceries and a lot of purchases with checks, which I suppose is sort of like a credit card. Credit cards are usually for larger expenses we need to track for business and for online purchases. I do carry cash - my allowance - for lunches out, a quick bite between errands and especially whimsey purchases of clothing or at craft shows or the like. CHecks and credit cards are for necessities and business, cash is for fun stuff. I do go through the hassle of cash for gas at the moment, because our local grocery gives you "fuel points" for every $50 you spend on groceries. The station in the deal charges an extra 10 cents for using a credit card. Ergo, if I do the cash hassle (and they do give change, if you overestimate), I routinely fill my car for 15 to 20 cents less per gallon, using cash and fuel points.

William J. said...

Hi DR

It has been an eye opener for me to review the blog, I am more boring now then I was back then, so am working harder to improve now.

I thought not only would you get the inspiration from within but you would be one of those that inspired others.

Lunch with one or two you can have better discussions then you can in a larger group.

Our grocery store quit giving fuel points 12-31 but I save tons on gas for a long time.

Bill

dona said...

Hey Bill, I forgot to mention and glad DR did, I am having fun re reading previous posts also.

And, You are NOT BORING!

Say that twenty five times.

William J. said...

Hi Dona

You always make me feel better about myself. Thank you!


Bill

Lady DR said...

I agree with Dona - you're NOT boring. I think you're going through some of the same adjustments I am, what with having Sis thre to help with Mom? Seems like you're not chasing your tail 24/7, which is a whole new experience.

Forgot to comment on the staying warm. I'm with Mary Z -- this is supposed to be ths SOUTH for goodness sake, yet our temps are in the teens, wind chills are at zero and, yes, they're predicting snow for tomorrow. I'd love to see temps in the fifties, like yours!

William J. said...

Hi DR

You hit the nail on the head, it is an adjustment not to have every minute of every day tied up. And thanks for saying that I'm not boring.

Bill

Lady DR said...

This is just a test to see if Google recognizes my password here. It's not being a good morning.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Your post came through clear as a bell. Hope your morning improves!!

Bill