Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Fact Checker

I received an email for Kaye this morning. Her mom passed peacefully in her sleep a little after four this morning. My heart goes out to Kaye and her family.

The Oregonian does a daily fact check on politicians statements. I tried find a link to their daily fact checking at oregonlive.com but couldn't. They title the segment "FACTCHECK: Your Report Card On Accountability." They base their articles Politifact.com which is a project of The St. Petersburg Times to help you find the truth in politics. Reporters and editors from the time fact check members of Congress, The White House, lobbyists and interest groups. They then rate their truthfulness, the lowest rating being "pants on fire" and the highest rating being "true." They also have a partly true, a false, and a mostly true among other ratings. Today's subject in the Oregonian's fact check column was Rush Limbaugh. Since I couldn't find a link to it on the Oregonian web site I went directly to politifact.com. Read the story here:

http://politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2010/jan/20/rush-limbaugh/limbaugh-claims-white-house-benefits-haiti-donatio/

Since I don't want to give you the idea that politifact.com is a liberal web site you can check out their site at the following link. They hammer everyone including President Obama. You can click on the truth meter to see who is lying and who is telling the truth. One of my favorite areas was "people." Click that on and click whatever person you want to check and if the person isn't listed separately click on "other people and groups."

http://politifact.com/

Does anything at the fact checking web site surprise you? Or are we just immune to politicians lying?

8 comments:

Pat said...

Immune to politicians lying? No, not immune. Angry. Disgusted.

Was I surprised that Rush Limbaugh was lying? Of course not. That's what he does. Does he ever apologize when he's caught at it? Never.

Nothing I saw there surprised me, but it's a valuable site, and I'm bookmarking it. I also went to their link on Charity Navigator and found that a valuable resource as well.

dona said...

Kaye, so sorry for your loss, my thoughts and prayers are with you. God Bless.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

He never seems to correct himself and then everyone swears what he says is the truth.

I am kind of glad I couldn't find the link to the story on The Oregonian website because that forced me to go to the politifact.com web site and they have a ton of information there included email scams. I bookmarked it too.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

I am going to cut and paste any comments and send them to Kaye.

And this is for everyone, anyone that wants to email Kaye directly here email is:

VenomWearngDenim@aol.com

Bill

Lady DR said...

Kaye, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, today and for the coming weeks. When Daddy and Walt passed away, the words that kept me going were "To all things there is a season and a time for every purpose under Heaven." I wish I was there, to give you a hug.

Bill, regarding the fact checking... I've about reached the point where I believe very little of what I hear from any politician. Even though Obama made statements that show as not true or partially true, I think he did nail it, when he said last night that Americans didn't trust DC and they didn't trust Congress and they had good reason not to do so. I wish more would realize they can't trust the media, as well. I also wish lobbyists could be corraled inside barbed wire fencing.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I thought he was right on several time. I found out from another site that the reason that a lot of them like Biden and Pelosi and The First Lady were wearing purple is that when you combine red and blue you get purple. They did it as a sign of both sides getting together for the betterment of the country. I liked that.

You can't trust the media as long as they are owned by profit minded corporations with an agenda.

I will pass on your words to Kaye.

Bill

Mary Z said...

{{{{{{Kaye}}}}}}}

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

I passed on your hug to Kaye

Bill