Friday, January 22, 2010

Hugs Dona, Jobs, Chaos, & Conversation

First, let's send some love Dona's way. She and The Shankster lost their beloved dog, Elvis, about a week ago. Losing a pet is damn hard. It is like losing a family member. My heart just goes out to Dona and her family.

Second, my start date for my consulting job is February 3. That means my life gets busier and I might not be able to do a daily blog post. I will promise you a post every other day. I will try very hard to do a daily post but work and health will have to take a priority over blog entries for just a short period of two months. I want to continue my walking during the two months. I stopped the walking last year when I started the jobs. Big mistake. This year I will do a couple of projects on my own, work for the guys that bought my business, and the job that starts the third. With sis here I won't have to do as much elderly care as last year but one day a week I want to take mom out for lunch. Throw in sleep and walking and the blog may end up taking it in the shorts. I am asking for your patience. Or if any of you feel motivated I would love it if once in a while you would step in with a post of the day!

Third, if you know me well then you know that I am a pretty supportive dude of women doing good things. Well, actually I am supportive of either men or women doing good things. Although I don't fit the following blog's demographics it is still one of my favorite blogs:

http://chaoschroniclesbyliandolan.blogspot.com/

The hostess of the blog is Lian Dolan. She also does a weekly Podcast. She is a wife, mother of two boys, author, former radio hostess, and a myriad of other things. One of her trademarks is a terrific sense of humor. Although the blog is mostly for Moms and women I learn tons from both her Podcast and her blog. Right now there is a contest going where you can vote for the top fifty Mommy blogs. I would like to put The Dahn Report Family behind The Chaos Chronicles and help get her into the top ten. Right now she is at thirteen. So if you have the time go to the following site and click on the "like" button next to "The Chaos Chronicles." It would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.babble.com/babble-50/mommy-bloggers/nominate-a-blogger/index.aspx

Lastly, today's topic for discussion is conversation. Daniel Menaker, author of the just-released A Good Talk: The Story and Skill of Conversation (TwelveBooks, $20) is quoted as saying:

"I believe that every time people talk together in a social and mutually gratifying way, the world becomes a better place."

Craig Wilson in The Final Word column in The USA Today on last Wednesday asks the question, has technology caused us to lose the art of witty and rewarding conversation? Has texting, instant messaging, blogs, cell phones, and other forms of technology pushed actual live conversation in the background? When is the last time you sat down for lunch or a cup of coffee and talked over life with a friend or relative?

Do you agree with author Daniel Menaker that conversation makes a better world? Do you also agree with Craig Wilson that witty conversation is quickly becoming a lost art?

You can read Craig Wilson's take here:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/columnist/finalword/2010-01-20-final20_ST_N.htm

As always I am looking forward to your take.

6 comments:

Pat said...

Dona, so sorry about your loss. I know how hard that can be.

I don't think technology has caused us to lose the art of conversation, but "witty" conversation? Haven't had one of those in a while. {g}

I have reasonably regular conversations with actual live people, but will also admit to having some equally satisfying online ones. I don't text, having no one to text *to*. Oh, I suppose I could find someone, but am not that interested in adding another layer of keyboarding to my life.

Yes, I'd agree that conversation makes a better world, depending, of course upon the conversation. There are people with whom a conversation consists of listening and nodding, and I'm not sure that improves the world.

As to "witty conversation", I don't seem to encounter many of those, more's the pity. So perhaps it is, as he says, becoming a lost art.

dona said...

Thanks Bill & Pat for the kind words. I really have not "been here" for a week or so. Just not myself. We did lose Elvis and it was not expected so it was a total shock. As a lover of doggies, I am sad to say this was our last dog that we came here with. I have had dogs for over 35 years & more than one at a time usually. We just seem lost.

Thanks again Bill, you didn't need to send me hugs, but I thank you.

I have surely lost out on some of your posts, so will just get to it and read on. I will also check out the "The Chaos Chronicles"

I do agree that conversation is great when you have the time & that it is becoming a lost art. I do think that texting and cell phones have went way beyond what they should have. I don't text. But do believe in having a cell phone for emergency. That is what mine is for. Otherwise I guess I am old fashioned, as I love to use the landline for most of my calls.

Lady DR said...

Dona, hugs and love for the loss of Elvis. You do lose a family member when a beloved pet passes away and I understand your sense of emptiness and absences. If and when you want to talk about Elvis, I'm here and in email.

Bill, please don't worry about the blog. You made yourself sick last year, trying to do all the tax work and take care of your mom and of us.

C'mon, guys. We're all intelligent and communicative souls. Considering all Bill's done for us, surely we can come up with blog subjects and discussions to email him and all he has to do is post them, when he's up to his ears. Community effort, okay? Doesn't have to be rocket science. Sometimes, just a thought-provoking question? Time to reciprocate.

Conversation -- interesting takes from the articles. Yes, conversation does make the world better, whether between special others, spouses, family or friends. Even short conversations. I have to admit I rarely have lunch with others, but even brief conversations with the folks in the pool where I work out on my lunch hour are both informative and thought-provoking. I'm not into texting or instant messaging, but I agree with Pat that while the "feedback" isn't instantaneous, I have a lot of interesting conversations with folks via email, some thought-provoking, some supportive, some just exploring issues and discussing daily life. I'm very fortunate in being able to hold daily conversations with Himself. As to "witty" conversation... there may be some truth in that falling a bit by the wayside. I suspect part of that may be that I don't attend DC dinners, but talk with "regular" people, whether face to face or in email, and most of themn are currently more concerned with the state of the world, country, community than in making witty conversation. Perhaps we need more witty conversation to get through/past the real world.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I have witty conversations now and again. Usually with Mom believe it or not.

I also have conversations with the guy club and some others and I do treasure it. The blog and the email group that we are in also produces some great conversation from me!

I text extremely rarely

I think it is hard to dislike someone that you connect with in live conversation which does make the world a better place!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Hi Dona

We always miss you when you are gone! I know how hard it was to lose my cat Katie that is why my heart is with you!

Like DR I am here or in email if you need to talk or vent.

You didn't miss much, I've been pretty boring lately. Thanks for the vote for Chaos. She is now up to 12.

Looks like most of us aren't texters. I also believe cell phones have their uses but have went beyond that. I hate when I am in a public place and have to listen to someone's cell phone conversation.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I am less worried this year than last for a number of reasons. First, sister is here. Second, I am going into a known vs an unknown.

I have faith in all of you that you will send me fun things to help out!

I really love Craig Wilson as a writer. His humor is usually right on. Sometimes you can learn more from brief conversations then you can from long ones!

The email group the three of belong too does have some really interesting conversations!

You are right maybe we need more witty conversation to take our minds off of the state of the world.

Bill