Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Role Models For Living & Marriages

I don't know how I feel about the following story. I know the woman is a good role model for having a dream and not giving up on fulfilling it. I wonder if the rule is that if you fulfill all your dreams and get everything that you want out of life that you lose the will to live it. I have so many things on my bucket list that I don't think that I will ever complete the list before I die. Maybe that is what keeps me going. Do you have a bucket list? You don't need to tell me what is on your bucket list, just tell me if you have a form of one. Do you think working towards fulfilling your dreams keeps you going?

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/news/national/100YearOld-New-Hampshire-Woman-Gets-College-Degree-Day-Before-She-Dies_22068008

Another good role model for me is Jeff Bridges. Let's take a moment to celebrate a good husband and a good marriage. Mark Sanford, Tiger Words, John Edwards et al cheating husbands seem to get the press but let's join the following web site in saluting Jeff Bridges for the moment he gave his wife and for Susan Bridges for her classic comment, "He was fun, I was constant."

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/01/26/jeff-and-susan-bridges-a-swooning-moment-at-the-sag-awards/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl5|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.politicsdaily.com%2F2010%2F01%2F26%2Fjeff-and-susan-bridges-a-swooning-moment-at-the-sag-awards%2F

Do you think most wives would swoon at the way Jeff Bridges treated his wife at the SAG awards? I think that is just how a man should treat his wife. Thanks to Jeff Bridges for teaching me that.

4 comments:

Pat said...

With you, Bill, I'm not sure how I feel about the first story. But I guess it's one of those heartwarming things, and if that's what she wanted, I'm glad she got it. I didn't get a degree, and while there was a time it bothered me a bit, it hasn't been on my radar for a very long time now, so I don't quite understand why it's important so late in life. I think I did okay without it, and so did she, but hey, more power to her if she got what she wanted. I only wish she'd gotten it sooner.

I don't really have a bucket list. There are some things I think I'd like to do if I'm ever free to do them, so who knows what will or won't happen in the future? Not I.

Props to Jeff & Susan Bridges for being fun and constant. {s} I just heard that Elizabeth Edwards has finally had enough. She hung in there a long time.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

That is exactly how I feel about the lady getting her degree then dying, I am glad she got what she wanted but wish she would have been around to enjoy it.

Good point about the degree late in life, don't know how much it helps to have a degree at the age other than to say you did it.

The Sue Bridges quote described my parents' marriage. Dad was fun. Mom was constant.

Bill

Lady DR said...

I think it's great that the lady achieved her goal, altho I agree with Pat it would have been nice if she could have enjoyed it. Then again, maybe it was the last thing she needed to do.

Don't have a bucket list. Haven't taken the time to think aobut 100 things I'd like to do. Not sure why. I guess my weekly to-do lists and my annual "goals" seem to be enough? Then again, maybe a bucket list would help me see if there's an underlying thread of purpose. Interesting thought.

Kudos to Bridges and his wife and to his recognition of her importance in his life and career. Would that we saw more "sound bites" of this nature and less of the others.

Pat, hadn't realized Edward's wife finally had enough. Sanford's wife pitched in the towel a couple months ago and I say, 'good for her,' especially since it appears he'd never had made it to the state mansion without her aid, assistance and management.

William J. said...

Hi DR

That was my take it on it too, that that was the last thing she needed to go before she went out of this life. My dad fought going until he saw his parents in his dream. I just admire her spirit.

As to the bridges you exactly got why I posted this. I am so tired of hearing about scumbag husbands that it is just time we gave the good marriages as much publicity as the bad marriages.

It wasn't public knowledge until yesterday that the Edwards had split. The only surprise to me is that it took so long.

Bill