Thursday, January 21, 2010

Happy Birthday Mom!

Some of us have a mutual friend, Cathy, that is known for extending her birthday to weeks on end. This year I think my Mom beats even her in extending a birthday. Mom's birthday celebration started last week with a visit from long time friends from Idaho. It will continue through Monday when some of Mom's local friends take her to lunch. In between some great cousins are taking her to lunch on Saturday. Today is Mom's actual birthday. I am taking her lunch and playing a game of Scrabble with her. Then tonight sis, brother-in-law, and I are taking her to dinner. I'm really glad that this birthday has been so special for my Mom. Once your mom gets into her nineties there are no guarantees that this won't be her last. A stark reality. A difficult reality but a reality all the same. This birthday has been really special for Mom. I'm grateful for everyone that has made it that special!

No testimonials today but the card I got her says it all:

"Family is much more than a word - it's a feeling of warmth and love that neither time nor distance can diminish. We've changed a lot through the years, Mom, so have things around us, but one thing will never change - that's the love between us and the special closeness we share. You'll always be special and important to me."

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM. THANK YOU FOR MAKING ME THE MAN I AM!!

Now on to other things. In the post "Dead Flowers And Dead Weight" a new poster, Rose, posted a very nice message. If you want to welcome her to the blog please go to that post and do so!

on my Mom's birthday I want to share a good story. This is the way a man should treat a Mom. Even if it isn't his.

http://travel.aol.com/travel-ideas/articles/good-samaritan-steps-at-airport?ncid=AOLCOMMtravdynlprim0770&icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl4|link3|http%3A%2F%2Ftravel.aol.com%2Ftravel-ideas%2Farticles%2Fgood-samaritan-steps-at-airport%3Fncid%3DAOLCOMMtravdynlprim0770

Finally, the item for discussion today is divorce registries. The new trend is creating a divorce registry for one or both parties going through a divorce. Is that a celebration of a failed marriage? Or is it practical help for someone that may not have all the stuff he or she needs to start a new life? Good idea or bad idea? Read the article here:

http://www.luxist.com/2010/01/19/debenhams-creates-divorce-registry/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl2|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.luxist.com%2F2010%2F01%2F19%2Fdebenhams-creates-divorce-registry%2F

4 comments:

Pat said...

Good for the guy that helped the woman with her flight delays. What a nice man!

Divorce registry, what a concept! It just sounds rather silly to me, except for the last reason they present... that one partner may have left without housewares and other necessities. But who gets gifts for divorcing spouses anyway? What's next? A divorce shower?

Lady DR said...

Good job on your Mom's extended birthday celebration. Sounds like it will be a year to remember for all of you.

Neat story about the airport fiasco. Random acts of kindness. I remember the time Mom got starnded at O'Hare (she was also wheelchair transport) and the folks getting her extra blankets, getting her food to keep her sugar levels somewhat even and helping her get on an earlier flite.

As to the divorce registry -- okay, one may end up without somethings, but I'd hope there would be some sort of amicable distribution of necessities. I think the registry is silly, quite frankly. Id rhey couldn't even divy up household goods, there were a lot of other problems, I'm guessing! Call me a cynic or hard-hearted, but rewards and gifts in "celebration" of a divorce just doesn't seem Quite Right to me.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Divorce showers? Don't give anyone ideas! The whole concept kind of bothers me, if they need things there are other ways to get things then a divorce registry.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Mom's birthday has been a wild ride. I get a bit of a break today since sis is taking mom to the eye appointment.

Mom had callse from Florida, California, Washington, Utah, Wyoming, Arizona, and of course Oregon yesterday. She has made some really good friends in her lifetime.

I am glad your mom was treated so well at the airport. Sometimes just a little thing for us means the world for them.

I'm with you on the divorce registry, silly and dumb.

Bill